Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 11:22 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,161,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by time4me View Post
I just posted on the same subject, except I moved here. I lived in the Bay Area for 15 yrs and lost my job. Some friends advised me the cost of living was cheaper in the Phx metro area. It is not. The salaries are a lot lower than in CA and you will be paying double what you pay for car insurance because of being near the border. Also, because of the heat you will pay a fortune to run your air conditioner in the summer. Water is very expensive in this area too. Food is the same. Gas is a little cheaper. Rent on apts and homes is cheaper. Overall I am no better off and should of stayed in California. The word needs to get out that this area is not cheaper, the salaries are much too low for people to get ahead here in this area. You really need to think twice about doing this.
Well, can you give examples of what you were paying if it was cheaper in the Bay area. It seems pretty difficult to believe that it's not that much of a difference. I don't think it costs a fortune for utilities or car ins. I pay, at the highest (which we didn't even hit this summer), $225 for a 1500sf home for electric, with $28 for gas.

Yes, buying a home is CHEAPER here, and many people value that. The property taxes are cheaper.

It also depends on what kind of job you are looking for. If it's a lower level type of job than it will be lower, but not every job pays very little.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 09:07 AM

6 posts, read 13,118 times
I paid at the very highest 180 in Jan for gas and elect for a 2400 sq ft home. I am renting a house here and pd 400 in July for gas and elect. Never pd that in CA and was a home owner since 1976. The car insurance was double here from the Bay Area and I was told because Phx is close to the border and cars are stolen a lot here.
I have worked adm asst and customer service and have a college degree. The average salary beginning for this job is around $19 in Bay area. I actually was offered a job $9 an hour for customer service for a major company in Tempe that required 3 months of training. Temp agencies offer around $13 an hour here, in the Bay area it is $18 an hour. Gas is a little lower and rent is lower. But, when you take in higher cost of car insurance, utilities, low job wages it does not make up for it. Phx is in a recession much worse than California is.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:27 AM

173 posts, read 465,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by time4me View Post
pd 400 in July for gas and elect.
I think that's why it was high - during summer the elec almost triples. In June and July we paid almost $500/month for our 3,300 sq ft house; the rest of the year it's less than $200.

I do know that APS and SRP (elec) raised their rates last year and plan to do so again in the near future.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:45 PM

5 posts, read 8,532 times
I feel as though i really need to seriously think about moving to Phx. I mean i was born there but have not been back there since the 80's. I am currently looking for a job before i make that plunge. My educational background is in Computers so that is why i am looking to head that way, out here on the central coast jobs are almost non-existant!

Old 09-12-2008, 04:17 PM

5 posts, read 8,532 times
Ha Ha, i could'nt help myself and laugh that the last 2 posts! I mean in all reality i am aware that times are hard across the country from coast to coast. But i am also aware that CA, especially on the Central Coast is way to exspensive to live, i have lived here for the pass 15 years, moved a few times down to Oxnard. That is way i am taking my time to go out to Arizona, I gotta land me a good paying job before i jump in with both feet, you know? I look at it like if i land a 10-13 dollar an hour job i'll be winning seeing that how low min wage is in Arizona.

Old 09-12-2008, 04:58 PM

1,170 posts, read 3,435,645 times
Good thinking C...I wouldn't move or take a paycut to move...It took me 10 years to get where I am today and I ain't about to give it back by taking a pay cut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: