U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-07-2008, 08:28 PM

105 posts, read 231,817 times
Default Air conditioner units on roofs

Does anyone know why in Phoenix and across the southwest the air conditioner units are on the roofs?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 08:45 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,287,414 times
I would venture a guess that it is because they are a heat pump and don't require a evap unit mounted in the attic. This also makes running the duct work much easier and the gas line comes in through the attic.

If they are mounted on the ground they are usually a split unit with a seperate line set running into the attic or closet to the evap unit.

In many communication rooms they use what is called a mini split unit.

Office/mobile trailers use a Bard unit whic is also a heat pump and all in one package.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:48 PM

15,858 posts, read 18,609,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oak999 View Post
Does anyone know why in Phoenix and across the southwest the air conditioner units are on the roofs?
Package units are cheaper. But it has been 10-15 years since this was common in Phx. Virtually every house now has split systems. Tile roofs have replaced fiberglass shingles making it impractical to do rooftops anymore. Also, virtually all "new" HOAs ban cooling equipment that is visible from neighboring properties.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:08 PM

58 posts, read 173,876 times
Quote:
Maybe in the older housing tracts, but not in anything that's been built in the last decade or so. I know some of the older houses also have evaporative coolers on the roof. The new A/C units are so efficient you don't need evap coolers anymore.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:35 PM

1,613 posts, read 1,596,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Package units are cheaper. But it has been 10-15 years since this was common in Phx. Virtually every house now has split systems. Tile roofs have replaced fiberglass shingles making it impractical to do rooftops anymore. Also, virtually all "new" HOAs ban cooling equipment that is visible from neighboring properties.
Yeah, my house is over 30 years old and the A/C unit is on the roof. So are most of the units in the neighborhood ( mostly older houses)

Old 09-08-2008, 01:03 PM

9,798 posts, read 12,386,429 times
I have a problem with the roof top units myself. Just doesn't look right IMO. Guess if it is doing the job then other than looks let it be. Seems that it would be harder to work on unless the roof top was flat. Many though are on sloped roofs. Is it hard to replace a roof top unit with a ground unit?

Old 09-08-2008, 01:10 PM

7,726 posts, read 14,848,191 times
Quote:
Not in Phoenix, Oak

However, my Heat Pump is on my flat roof and does just fine while being completely out of sight.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:20 PM

338 posts, read 940,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
That makes sense. I was wondering why my AC unit is on the ground in the backyard in my new house. Everywhere else I have lived in the valley have had AC units on the roof (they were all in subdivisions without an HOA).

Old 09-08-2008, 06:10 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,287,414 times
Just keep in mind the split units require a drip pan under the evap unit in the attic. This is in turn connected to or is supposed to be connected to a drain line that has the correct slope on it so it can drain.
If your filter plugs up or if its a high humidity day you run the risk of it freezing up and then defrosting a load of water. This is ok most of the time.
Had one the other day that was draining up hill. guess what happened? over flowed and covered the insulation with water then it came down through the drywall. Not pretty
That is why I like the roof top units anyway.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:36 PM

89 posts, read 172,461 times
Yeah, the ACs on the roofs stink in apartment buildings when one lives on the top floor! You hear different units' ACs switching on all day/night long...vibration is a big problem - noise too with the older units...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area