Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 05:48 AM

595 posts, read 2,308,175 times

Advertisements

I'll go with 15 October. I used to start using the pool on tax day, and finish on my birthday, toward the latter part of October. I do recall seeing the thermometer on 16th st. at 116 on 12 October in 1996.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 08:53 AM

937 posts, read 2,834,115 times
Last year when I was there in late October, like 26-30th, it was in the upper 90s everyday...97-98. I loved it. Was wierd to step out of the terminal at Sky Harbor at 10am, and feel how powerful the sun was already. Reminded me right away how I wasnt in Michigan anymore!

Old 09-13-2008, 09:33 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Put me down for September 31st.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:36 AM

338 posts, read 613,603 times
How could you guys live in hot climate?!

Old 09-13-2008, 09:53 AM

3,995 posts, read 10,017,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
How could you guys live in hot climate?!
The same way you live in New Jersey, but just polar opposites. Instead of having heat on for 6 months or more, we have the air conditioning on for 4-5 months. If we want snow, we drive 40minutes, an hour, 2 hours, etc., to play in the snow. There is nothing like that back East or northern tier states.

Old 09-13-2008, 12:05 PM

228 posts, read 594,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NytoPhx View Post
Aren't the winters here very similar to LA and San Diego. The average high in LA January is 68 and in Phoenix its 66. The winter is the rainy season in both cities, although LA can get a lot more rain in the winter. Nights might be a tad cooler here. How are the winters not close to So Cal's?
It's simply colder, particularly at night, as fcorrales stated. Daytime highs are comparable, although I think southern California probably gets more rain during the winter. Overall, there is no doubt that Phoenix's climate has more temperature extremes in both summer and winter than SoCal does.

Old 09-14-2008, 02:57 AM

595 posts, read 2,308,175 times
Keep in mind a place in SoCal, that you can actually keep your windows open at night, will cost you 4 times more.

Old 09-14-2008, 10:03 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,080,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
The same way you live in New Jersey, but just polar opposites. Instead of having heat on for 6 months or more, we have the air conditioning on for 4-5 months. If we want snow, we drive 40minutes, an hour, 2 hours, etc., to play in the snow. There is nothing like that back East or northern tier states.
Keep in mind that most years there is not snow until Jan. or Feb. thats 40 min to 2 hours away from here. It's not like you can go up in the early part of the season for snow in 2 hours. That would take you a little more time. Maybe a drive to Utah or Colorado. Plus, it's not predictable at all. If you need to plan a snow trip then you have to go somewhere that has it every year and is farther away. Not everyone can see snow on the forecast in Prescott and run up there that day to enjoy it. If your single with a job that doesn't mind then this will hold true for you. The same if you have a lot of money. But for the average family you plan the trip and are just lucky if you hit snow on it! Flagg takes a little longer to get too and you hope it isn't a melt before you get there. The rim is more of a guarantee but it's farther away. It's all pretty much the same through out the entire Southern part of the U.S. Middle America has the same options in both directions. We don't have sunshine down in Phoenix and snow 40 min down the road to go play in. Unless you want to count the dump truck of shredded snow they dump at Tempe town lake for the Christmas party.

A lot of people get out of the north for the winter vacation. You can go down to Cape Cod to get a relief from snow or down to the Carolinas as well. It is only 400 miles from Norfork NJ to Charlston SC. And 1/2 that to NC. Same thing finding snow you can actually have fun in from Phoenix. I mean driving 2 or 3 hours up North to see 1/2 a foot of snow mixed with dirt isn't worth it. And you never know when it will fall. Yes, you will see it, but thats it. I just don't want to give a false impression of our climate. We all do the snow dance to pray for enough snow at the ski places every year. We hope it is enough to actually make it up to ski for one or two days. It's a gamble. For real skiing snow you have to go out of the state.

Last edited by twiggy; 09-14-2008 at 10:31 AM..

Old 09-15-2008, 10:24 PM

219 posts, read 779,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
Hope your right! It always seems this way though. Especially to us old timers who have been here for 30 years. That last week in Oct. is usually when I know for sure it won't go back up for a min. Even by your set of facts in the last 5 years 3 of them have had 100 degree days. So, it's more likely that one might assume it to happen again. Also, if it's 98, 99, it's still so close to 100 that it could be 100 in one city and not in another. It's still basically 100 degree weather. Still, 100 is a lot better than 105 or 110 and the mornings are to die for right now! It's all good.

But hey, at least it's not a hurricane! I feel so sorry for those people, that is really something to complain about. We are small potatos compared to them! Just a shout out for those poor people. Hope everything ends up ok for them. It doesn't look good right now.
It will cool down here sometime. I would't trade it for evacuations and major home repairs.

I do believe this was just a prediction thread. Just for fun to guess what day it will be, not to prove it won't be. If you feel the need to call me overzealous then you have the freedom, but it's only weather, one degree here one degree there, I mean who really cares? It's just for fun.
Oct. was just my guess. It doesn't mean I will win the "Award", although I want it sssssssssssooooooooooooooooooo bad!!!! You should be happy if you think I am wrong, maybe you will win! Aren't you excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I concur. 100 and 105 degrees just seems like a huge difference. 100 degrees with very little humidity is remarkably comfortable even for those used to cooler climates. 105 is always bad, and can be extremely uncomfortable at 20% humidity. To me personally, anything between 105-115 is pretty much the same, but I've felt some days here at 105 that have felt far worse than at 115, because typically when it is over 110 here, the humidity is very, very low.

Old 09-16-2008, 12:51 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,263,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NytoPhx View Post
I concur. 100 and 105 degrees just seems like a huge difference. 100 degrees with very little humidity is remarkably comfortable even for those used to cooler climates. 105 is always bad, and can be extremely uncomfortable at 20% humidity. To me personally, anything between 105-115 is pretty much the same, but I've felt some days here at 105 that have felt far worse than at 115, because typically when it is over 110 here, the humidity is very, very low.
And by September, most of us (especially the natives & long term residents) are so tired of the constant heat that even 100 degrees with low humidity seems monotonous. This summer was still awfully hot considering how above normal our rainfall was in July & August. Of course, much of the intense heat came in June this year ... but there were still plenty of days in July & August with temperatures over 110.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area