Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 03:33 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,016,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailofdogma View Post
Obviously, most people do not make 9 bucks an hour here, I'm not sure that was the other poster's point. However, any cursory glance at the major job boards suggests the numbers you have posted are not exactly typical. The vast majority of security positions I have seen posted range from 11-15 dollars an hour. Admin Assistant positions seem to range from 25-32, making your secretary pretty well paid. Additionally, the waiting period for benefits seems to be, on average 60 days longer than it generally was in California.

I don't mean to quibble (too much) but as someone spending hours a day waiting for a decent quality job to be posted in any number of places, I do not believe your figures are typical of what is out there.
You can go to In-N-Outs website and look for jobs. Experienced burger flippers make well over $9.50 (and I'm not being facetious), and there are security guard positions open with a number of firms for over 12/hour, the City of Phoenix is looking for security guards and pays $14.53 to $21.83 an hour, private firms like ProEm pay more, especially with experience and/or military background.

There are a huge number of secretary jobs that pay extremely well, one position with the VA that is a secretary job pays a SALARY of $33,591 to $43,620. Banner Health has 94 pages alone of job openings which include Administrative Support Assistants (new age-name for secretary) that pay $12-$18/hour, 62 of those pages are for openings in Phoenix metro area. To the OP, here is a listing of Administrative Support and Secretary positions and where the jobs I have mentioned are listed:
Secretary Jobs in Phoenix
My secretary gave me this link and this site is where she found her current position with us...I usually don't do people's job searches for them, but I do always pass along information that might benefit someone. Hopefully, this site is useful to the OP and many others. Since I am killing time right, now, I thought it would be interesting to look at different entry level jobs in Phoenix. Pretty interesting, A LOT of medical openings and support for those medical staffs.

She said there are many sites besides this one, monster.com, jobing.com, az central classifieds, jobs.com, etc. that one can find vacancies.

Last edited by fcorrales80; 09-10-2008 at 03:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 04:09 PM

88 posts, read 251,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
You can go to In-N-Outs website and look for jobs. Experienced burger flippers make well over $9.50 (and I'm not being facetious), To the OP, here is a listing of Administrative Support and Secretary positions and where the jobs I hav...e mentioned are listed:
My secretary gave me this link and this site is where she found her current position with us...I usually don't do people's job searches for them, but I do always pass along information that might benefit someone. Hopefully, this site is useful to the OP and many others. Since I am killing time right, now, I thought it would be interesting to look at different entry level jobs in Phoenix. Pretty interesting, A LOT of medical openings and support for those medical staffs.

She said there are many sites besides this one, monster.com, jobing.com, az central classifieds, jobs.com, etc. that one can find vacancies.
Again, not really the point. You are being somewhat selective in your presentation of data. If In-and-Out were representative of fast food in this area, this would be appropriate. After all, there are, what, 25 In and Outs in Arizona, compared to 25 Taco Bells on Bell Rd alone. A manager at In and Out makes approximately 100k a year. Taco Bell Managers are more like 40.

Even more again, we are talking about the job market and wages on the whole. Administrative Assistant positions that pay over 40k are most likely outliers.

You also city government jobs (IE VA Admin or Phoenix Security guards), remember that government jobs, speaking broadly, pay fairly well and provide above average benefits.

The entire picture suggest Phoenix salaries are not exactly great.

Old 09-10-2008, 04:35 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,164,624 times
Quote:
I don't think you are getting the point. You are over generalizing. Most people do not make 9/hr. in Phoenix, if you do, that is just awful and I feel for you, but the only person I know making $9.50 an hour is my 16 year old cousin who works at In-N-Out Burger. My secretary makes $15.20 an hour (this is her second year at Phoenix College), our courier makes $10 an hour and is tipped (LOL), my best friend's 22 year old boyfriend makes $22 an hour as a security guard and is in school...maybe your particular job just, well, SUCKS.
I wonder how much the Op wants to make? I don't know, but I'm tired of people who don't have a college degree complain about not making $15/hr. I have a MASTER'S degree and started at $15.50/hr!! That's NOT just an AZ salary, it's an industry salary in many cities. Luckily, I did find a company who pays more. I can still find a master level position starting at 27k!!!! If anyone should be all over this board complaining it's ME.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:19 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,306,923 times
My friend who also just graduated from ASU was job searching for the last several months (over the last year really). He is from LA and applied to jobs in both LA and Phoenix. He said in his field (marketing) and in his position, level of experience, etc, the jobs in LA were paying no more than similar positions with companies in Phoenix. He ended up signing on with a company in LA, but that was quite interesting to hear.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:40 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
I wonder how much the Op wants to make? I don't know, but I'm tired of people who don't have a college degree complain about not making $15/hr. I have a MASTER'S degree and started at $15.50/hr!! That's NOT just an AZ salary, it's an industry salary in many cities. Luckily, I did find a company who pays more. I can still find a master level position starting at 27k!!!! If anyone should be all over this board complaining it's ME.
Remember compared to 50 years ago: college grads are a dime a dozen---------and, the marketplace reflects that. Worse: back in the day a BA/BS was one's ticket to the good life..........now, a Masters is only the intro to even be a librarian, teacher, etc.

I am an auto alignment and brake technician and a week with a gross of under $500 is crappy for me.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:48 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,306,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Remember compared to 50 years ago: college grads are a dime a dozen---------and, the marketplace reflects that. Worse: back in the day a BA/BS was one's ticket to the good life..........now, a Masters is the entry to even be a librarian, teacher, etc.

I am an auto alignment and brake technician and a week with a gross of under $500 is crappy for me.
That's because so many people end up getting master's degrees in made up "fields" that don't have any real economic function. It's like they hardly gave any thought to their job prospects when they decided to go for the degree. I studied English literature as an undergrad, and that would be like me getting a master's in English and complaining the jobs are so low paying. Especially in the humanities, there are more master's and phD students than ever before, and yet full time professorship positions are slowly being eliminated in favor of hiring instructors on course by course contracts and research projects. I looked hard at the cold facts and decided to go for a business degree (accounting) instead, where there's actually a need and the pay is quite respectable. I also happen to enjoy it so it's a win-win situation. Even not all business is created equal. I know someone here who got a master's in "sports management"-- he couldn't find a job paying peanuts in that "field." But the academic elite has a vested interest in making sure their "fields" continue to draw in scores of students even when there's no need.

Old 09-11-2008, 01:18 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,164,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Remember compared to 50 years ago: college grads are a dime a dozen---------and, the marketplace reflects that. Worse: back in the day a BA/BS was one's ticket to the good life..........now, a Masters is only the intro to even be a librarian, teacher, etc.

Yep, that is so true. Some people need to read this.

Last edited by sablebaby; 09-11-2008 at 08:35 AM..

Old 09-11-2008, 01:37 AM

919 posts, read 3,395,257 times
The recent major prostitution ring bust in PHX indicated the gals made at least $400 and hour, and some made $5,000-10,000 a night.

This made me realize I'm either an inferior income earner as a potential patron, or I should get a boob job and work for the other side.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:40 AM

1,170 posts, read 3,436,152 times
Quote:
You can go to In-N-Outs website and look for jobs. Experienced burger flippers make well over $9.50 (and I'm not being facetious), and there are security guard positions open with a number of firms for over 12/hour, the City of Phoenix is looking for security guards and pays $14.53 to $21.83 an hour, private firms like ProEm pay more, especially with experience and/or military background.

There are a huge number of secretary jobs that pay extremely well, one position with the VA that is a secretary job pays a SALARY of $33,591 to $43,620. Banner Health has 94 pages alone of job openings which include Administrative Support Assistants (new age-name for secretary) that pay $12-$18/hour, 62 of those pages are for openings in Phoenix metro area. To the OP, here is a listing of Administrative Support and Secretary positions and where the jobs I have mentioned are listed:

Hey is your secretary a hott blonde?

Old 09-11-2008, 08:42 AM

1,170 posts, read 3,436,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
well sable, you gotta be good looking on top of having master's degree if you wanted to start out at more than $15/hr....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area