Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 02:43 PM

849 posts, read 2,914,505 times

Advertisements

Awesome site! Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 10:25 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,253,035 times
Yeah, very worthwhile.

Thanks

Ken

Old 02-22-2009, 08:01 AM

1 posts, read 2,185 times
Default Retiring

Hi, use to visit arizona 8 years ago mostly the tucson area. Any suggestions on a nice retirement are with no snow[flagstaff] in arizona. We are only 60. Would want a good medical center and would probably like to work part time. My husband loves gardening is that possible there?
Thanks
liz

Old 02-22-2009, 08:11 AM

140 posts, read 541,362 times
If you like gardening you should find an irrigated lot - they flood your property once or twice a month (depending on the season) and you can grow almost anything. Of course your plant selection must tolerate the heat. I think the irrigation only cost $60 or $120 per year.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:54 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,197,584 times
Are you looking in Flagstaff or don't want to look in Flagstaff? Not sure from your post. If you are interested in Phoenix area, try the areas around Desert Ridge/Kierland. I live here-1.5 miles from Mayo Clinic (you were interested in a good medical center). No snow. Lots of resorts, golf courses, shopping, restaurants etc.

Gardening-depends. If he wants to try his hand at native desert plants I suspect would be a bit less work than say veggies/flowers/non-native type gardening. Most plants other than native would need to be irrigated or on a drip system. But is definitely possible.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:46 AM

2 posts, read 6,097 times
Default retiring

Any Canadians out there that have retired in a US RV park? Love to hear from you. procun

Old 05-18-2010, 04:12 PM

2 posts, read 5,418 times
I'm thinking of moving to Phoenix area I prefer Peoria, AZ my question is will I have regrets regarding the summer heat and crawling critters. I've heard some stories regarding snakes, scorpion and spiders I'm interesting in knowing are these creatures near homes,ect. And just recently I was told the state is known for child abduction please advised.Thanks

Old 05-18-2010, 04:13 PM

2 posts, read 5,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlogan17 View Post
I'm thinking of moving to Phoenix area I prefer Peoria, AZ my question is will I have regrets regarding the summer heat and crawling critters. I've heard some stories regarding snakes, scorpion and spiders I'm interesting in knowing are these creatures near homes,ect. And just recently I was told the state is known for child abduction please advised.Thanks

Old 05-18-2010, 04:31 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,262,187 times
You are not likely to ever see a snake, and lalso ikely not a scorpion. Spiders are not really a major issue either. There's WAY more talk here on these forums about these things than is warranted. I've lived here almost all my life, and don't give any of those things much thought.

As far as child abduction is concerned, I don't have the statistics or know where you got this information, but excluding family abductions, which happen anywhere and don't really depend on what state they happen in, I don't know that Arizona, or Peoria, is particularly problematic on that issue.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:35 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,701,377 times
Kid getting snatched up could not be any worse than the town in CA where we were from. Huge population of perverts. I don't care where you live, you must always keep your kids close in the stores and don't just let them run the streets. Not safe today.

Today I was overrun with baby quail in my front yard and they have kept me well entertained. Have not seen a single bug out there. Get a pest service or spray your yard yourself and there will be minimal bugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area