U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 07:14 PM

19 posts, read 61,885 times
Default car battery dying in the desert?

Question for my fellow Phoenecians:

Just moved out here 2 months ago from the East Coast (love it here!) My car wouldn't start this morning. Lights worked fine, A/C worked, etc. The ignition simply wouldn't start. Long story short, I got a jump from a neighbor and brought it to the local auto shop. Sure enough, the battery was zapped and I had to get a new battery installed.

The mechanic told me car battery life expectancies are only about 2 years out here because of the extreme heat. That seemed awfully low to me.

So, how often do you guys change your car batteries out here?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 07:24 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,287,414 times
Some people get longer life out of there batteries, but the electrical load and heat is a killer for batteries.
Most manufactures don't put the high end batteries in there vehicles.
So a couple of years is about right.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:25 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,923,635 times
About every 2 years or 30,000 miles. I think your mechanic was being pretty honest. I think I've gotten to 3 years occasionally.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:38 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,508,900 times
Just came back from buying my new battery at AutoZone 15 min. ago. My BMW has 77k miles on it and is five years old. It's been here in AZ since Feb. Battery got a bad cell and died two days ago. My Porsche is 1996, has 64k miles on it, sits for weeks or months at a time and has been here since March. It still has the original factory battery and fires up like a champ every single time. My last BMW was a 1987 and the original factory battery died around 2001 at 240k miles. It exploded when I turned the key one morning, smelled awful.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:44 PM

7,726 posts, read 14,848,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bona0718 View Post
Question for my fellow Phoenecians:

Just moved out here 2 months ago from the East Coast (love it here!) My car wouldn't start this morning. Lights worked fine, A/C worked, etc. The ignition simply wouldn't start. Long story short, I got a jump from a neighbor and brought it to the local auto shop. Sure enough, the battery was zapped and I had to get a new battery installed.

The mechanic told me car battery life expectancies are only about 2 years out here because of the extreme heat. That seemed awfully low to me.

So, how often do you guys change your car batteries out here?!
Sadly, bona . . . original equipment batteries don't last very long due to the heat although I feel 2 years may be a little harsh.

However, spending a few extra bucks for an Optima Battery has always paid off for me in the long haul.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:57 PM

15,858 posts, read 18,609,065 times
2 years is typical. There is a bright side to this. Buy a top of the line one or buy from Costco or Sams. When it conks out take it back and they give you a new one free. I haven't paid for a new battery in years.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:37 PM

26,625 posts, read 18,617,030 times
I just replaced the original battery 2 months ago on my 02 Ford Explorer and my wife's 04Buick Park Ave is still running strong on it's original battery.
On previous owned vehicles our batteries always ran 4-5 years long. I always buy top of the line from Auto Zone, and as Ponderosa mentioned, you practically get a free battery if theirs goes out before the warranty is up. Many, if not all, company's pro-rate the batteries after the 1st year.
You want to get one with high CCA's (Cold Cranking Amps). They have the most power and the longest lasting time. At least a minimum of 675 CCA will last you under normal conditions about 4-5 years.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:54 PM

263 posts, read 1,092,085 times
Yep, mine did the same thing after about 8 months and it was failry new. I bought one this time that has a 3 year warranty and free jumps, the guy said that most people end up get a free replacement b/c it goes out before the 3rd year.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:03 PM

595 posts, read 1,512,055 times
I was getting a new one at PEP Boys about every year. I've heard mechanics say the heat is equally as bad as the severe cold on Batteries. They would add water to so called maintenance free batteries.

Old 09-19-2008, 05:37 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,287,414 times
Just be careful buying the top of the line, generally you are buying the same less expensive battery but with a better warranty.

The new diehards from what I have been told are the AGM style batteries and made by Odyssey battery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area