Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2008, 09:08 PM

88 posts, read 308,586 times

Advertisements

I know Altus it stinks...If you see a beautiful 4 br 2300 sf 3 cg and its priced at 104k you can bet theyre fishing for bids. BUt you can still get a great deal (Oh how I wish I could buy right now) I run into this alot. Just have your realtor do a quick comp for short sales and REO's to find out what a fair offer would be (if it is a house you really want) This may help you aviod being part of a multi counter. I do alot of Broker Price OPinions, and trust me the bank will seldom take less than 10k under what the current market conditions presents the value at. Im sure others will disagree, but thats what Ive found to be the truth.

Last edited by Kevin Beasley; 10-13-2008 at 09:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 10:36 AM

824 posts, read 2,335,251 times
Quote:
"and trust me the bank will seldom take less than 10k under what the current market conditions presents the value at. Im sure others will disagree, but thats what Ive found to be the truth."
With the Alt-A and other A.R.M. re-set categories yet to peak, record foreclosures, several bank failures, and an overall financial maelstrom, this unrealistic position by banks with repo'd houses shows that we have clearly NOT reached a point of capitulation in house prices. I frankly do not see that happening for two or three more years. Fighting over an REO at this point seems both silly and a way to get burned financially.

If you have the kind of cash generally needed for a serious down payment, ask yourself if you want to risk going underwater with another 10 or 20% drop. Even with a "reliable" source of income, that extra cash may be helpful in the troubling times ahead. Either way, the "deals" will be better in a year or two.

Old 10-14-2008, 01:59 PM

88 posts, read 308,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
With the Alt-A and other A.R.M. re-set categories yet to peak, record foreclosures, several bank failures, and an overall financial maelstrom, this unrealistic position by banks with repo'd houses shows that we have clearly NOT reached a point of capitulation in house prices. I frankly do not see that happening for two or three more years. Fighting over an REO at this point seems both silly and a way to get burned financially.

If you have the kind of cash generally needed for a serious down payment, ask yourself if you want to risk going underwater with another 10 or 20% drop. Even with a "reliable" source of income, that extra cash may be helpful in the troubling times ahead. Either way, the "deals" will be better in a year or two.
Excellent point Jack...

Old 10-14-2008, 10:07 PM

173 posts, read 655,513 times
Agree with Jack. I heard this from my real estate agent. The problem we need to find out when Alt-A and A.R.M start to explode. Next year? or coming December?

Old 10-14-2008, 10:14 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,447,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Beasley View Post
You can bet it probably has though...you cant trust those search engines, find a realtor in your neighborhood, or perhaps you have a friend or family member that is licensed. There is no substitution for the MLS when you need a market analysis
I have no reason to do this as, unfortunately, I'm staying put. I merely am saying one cannot generalize. Scottsdale, for example, is limited in terms of growth and a desirable location, so of course prices are not going to go down like other areas. In fact, they will hold steady and especially in light of retirees.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:39 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,118,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
I have no reason to do this as, unfortunately, I'm staying put. I merely am saying one cannot generalize. Scottsdale, for example, is limited in terms of growth and a desirable location, so of course prices are not going to go down like other areas. In fact, they will hold steady and especially in light of retirees.
Here in 85257 prices have plummeted a good 30% in the last two years.

In fact: according to an article in the EV Tribune---------the average cost of a home in Scottsdale is lower than it was prior to the huge run up.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:35 AM

Quote:
"find out when Alt-A and A.R.M start to explode."
Here is one Alt-A chart:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_pMscxxELHE...laytonAltA.jpg

Old 10-15-2008, 09:40 AM

682 posts, read 2,565,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Beasley View Post
I know Altus it stinks...If you see a beautiful 4 br 2300 sf 3 cg and its priced at 104k you can bet theyre fishing for bids. BUt you can still get a great deal (Oh how I wish I could buy right now) I run into this alot. Just have your realtor do a quick comp for short sales and REO's to find out what a fair offer would be (if it is a house you really want) This may help you aviod being part of a multi counter. I do alot of Broker Price OPinions, and trust me the bank will seldom take less than 10k under what the current market conditions presents the value at. Im sure others will disagree, but thats what Ive found to be the truth.

This is good info. Thanks.

altus2006

Old 10-15-2008, 09:48 AM

682 posts, read 2,565,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Here in 85257 prices have plummeted a good 30% in the last two years.

In fact: according to an article in the EV Tribune---------the average cost of a home in Scottsdale is lower than it was prior to the huge run up.
As has been discussed before, this zip has older homes that cannot compete with new builds for the same $$$. My dad lives in the far NE part of Scottsdale and prices have continued to go up in his zip, 85262.

Also, Capt Bill once posted a listing in 85257 zip which you had referred to as "plummeting", but it was old and needed a major over hall. People do not have to buy fixer uppers with this market, so if a person doesn't do needed repairs and updates,the property will not sell and the price will go down.

altus2006

Old 10-15-2008, 09:55 AM

Quote:
"Scottsdale, for example, is limited in terms of growth and a desirable location, so of course prices are not going to go down like other areas. In fact, they will hold steady and especially in light of retirees."
This is simply not true.

Do you really believe that while the rest of Metro Phoenix, the Southwest, and large portions of the United States were creating new highs in house prices through the end of 2005 due to a lending bubble, that Scottsdale, Arizona's prices rose simply because it is just so desirable? Could you possibly believe that? Why are San Diego prices tanking, because it is undesirable?

When all is said and done, will the overall price percentage drops be lower in some Scottsdale zips than in say, Queen Creek/Johnson Ranch? Probably, but that in no way provides even slight immunity to significant price drops in both areas. It is not even an arguable point anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area