Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 04:35 PM

6 posts, read 21,939 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My wife and I moved to Arizona four months ago for my job and we've been living in a nice apartment in west Chandler (85226), but are looking to buy a home here as my job is going quite well and we like AZ.

I work in downtown Phoenix and my wife is currently attending MCC, but will transfer to ASU to finish her degree, so we would like to find a home somewhere in the middle (in the $150k ballpark). I'm thinking ZIP codes 85281, 85282, 85226, or 85224.

We want an older home in a mature neighborhood, something affordable but with charm. We've seen quite a few houses we like in west Tempe (west of Arizona Mills and the 10) -- how does this area compare to the rest of Tempe? How is crime there, etc.? Cross streets for one house we particularly like are 48th St between Baseline and the canal.

Thanks all for any help you can give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 11:04 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
I'd move this to the Phoenix forum if I were you.

I would NOT even think about buying a home in the part of Tempe you just outlined-- that's a pretty crappy area; it's basically the same thing as south Phoenix. The four years I lived in Tempe I didn't find any "charm" in the that part of Tempe. Tempe in general is an overpriced city, where you really need to spend $300k just to get something okay but still not great, so a home that's only 150k in Tempe is that low for a reason.

Old 09-28-2008, 11:04 AM

6 posts, read 21,939 times
Thanks (and thanks for moving it into the Phoenix forum). Anyone else have an opinion on this area?

Old 09-28-2008, 04:25 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,762,672 times
I live on the other side of the Mills near Hardy and the US60 and the area you are considering is not the best area. It is actually on the border of South Phoenix. I would not recommend that area at all.

Old 09-28-2008, 05:37 PM

219 posts, read 778,966 times
Yeah I live barely East of the 10 on Priest and Southern and thats kind of the boundary of where it gets bad. I honestly had no idea the area west of the 10 was still Tempe. It is no different from south Phoenix, I would stay away from that area. Parts of Tempe are nice though, actually the majority of it. South Tempe is really nice in particular.

Old 09-29-2008, 12:49 AM

2,441 posts, read 7,006,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rr72 View Post
Hi everyone,

My wife and I moved to Arizona four months ago for my job and we've been living in a nice apartment in west Chandler (85226), but are looking to buy a home here as my job is going quite well and we like AZ.

I work in downtown Phoenix and my wife is currently attending MCC, but will transfer to ASU to finish her degree, so we would like to find a home somewhere in the middle (in the $150k ballpark). I'm thinking ZIP codes 85281, 85282, 85226, or 85224.

We want an older home in a mature neighborhood, something affordable but with charm. We've seen quite a few houses we like in west Tempe (west of Arizona Mills and the 10) -- how does this area compare to the rest of Tempe? How is crime there, etc.? Cross streets for one house we particularly like are 48th St between Baseline and the canal.

Thanks all for any help you can give.
I wouldn't buy in that area. You're pretty much sandwiched between south Phoenix and Guadalupe. Try to find something east of the 10.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:36 PM

267 posts, read 885,065 times
I lived in that area for 7 months and live more west of there now. My husband and I like the area. Sure, it's no Scottsdale, but we never had any problems there and never felt unsafe. There are some nice communities around there.

A lot of people think it's a bad area because it's more diverse than other areas of Phoenix and Tempe. I'm white and I love that about the area. If you don't like diversity, though, you may not like it there.

Old 10-03-2008, 02:26 PM

173 posts, read 465,240 times
South Tempe (85284) is very nice andhas a large range of prices. Or Chandler (85226) which borders that area is also pretty good. Both belong to the Kyrene school district which is one of the better districts and home values hold up pretty well.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:38 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,254,574 times
There isn't much of Tempe west of the I10. In fact, the 10 is almost a dividing line between south Phoenix and Tempe. But I will echo the majority of the posters by stating that this small section of Tempe (west of 10 and east of 143/48th Street) is almost a carbon copy of south Phoenix in terms of neighborhoods. They are older, and generally not kept up as well as other parts ... which is why this section is less expensive.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:19 PM

219 posts, read 778,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OctoberMoon View Post
I lived in that area for 7 months and live more west of there now. My husband and I like the area. Sure, it's no Scottsdale, but we never had any problems there and never felt unsafe. There are some nice communities around there.

A lot of people think it's a bad area because it's more diverse than other areas of Phoenix and Tempe. I'm white and I love that about the area. If you don't like diversity, though, you may not like it there.
I don't think people are saying its a bad area because its more "diverse". Compton is diverse, but its not because of that fact why its an undesirable place to live. Based on that logic, NYC would also be considered a "bad area"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area