Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2008, 06:43 PM

1 posts, read 3,016 times

Advertisements

I just moved to Tempe from Chicago about a month ago and I'm sort of lonely. What I'm wondering is what are the best places to go to start meeting people in the Tempe/Phoenix areas (besides bars).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 12:47 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,671,630 times
You could try meetup.com or craigslist, but beyond that i don't see any other way of meeting people out here. I've tried bars and bookstores. Nothing is more weirder then a stranger saying "hi, how's it goin'," in a grocery store.

Last edited by shiphead; 09-28-2008 at 12:57 AM..

Old 09-28-2008, 07:37 AM

39,004 posts, read 50,987,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznightrider View Post
I just moved to Tempe from Chicago about a month ago and I'm sort of lonely. What I'm wondering is what are the best places to go to start meeting people in the Tempe/Phoenix areas (besides bars).
Check out the Arizona Outdoor and Travel Club on the web. I was active in this several years ago. A good place to make friends and find fun things to do in AZ.

Old 09-28-2008, 10:07 AM

267 posts, read 896,435 times
Are you a member of a gym? It's less weird to say Hi to someone you see every day in the gym, than it is to say Hi to someone completely random. Do you have any hobbies? Do you attend a church? Do you have a job, or are you going to school? You are completely surrounded by people - it may be awkward at first, but it just depends on how socially outgoing you are. Look for things you can get involved in that are important to you, and that you feel comfortable with. The other people who surround you then, that are involved in the same types of activities, those are the people you will feel most comfortable introducing yourself to - when you already know you have something in common (besides alcohol - which is a fairly poor start to a conversation or relationship!)

Old 09-28-2008, 10:46 AM

6,954 posts, read 12,008,931 times
There are tons of animal shelters that need volunteers for everything. Maricopa.gov has the largest and is always happy to have new volunteers. Google Maricopa Animal Control on the web and you will come to the website.

Old 09-28-2008, 11:33 AM

214 posts, read 959,511 times
Very good idea PhxBarb! Help some animals, and meet new people at the same time. Volunteer work of any kind would be a good way to meet people

Old 12-30-2008, 01:11 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,262,187 times
Lots of volunteer opportunities in Tempe, at the library, public TV and radio, and others. Tempe Parks and Recreation has all sorts of classes and programs and such-- good ways to meet people with similar interests.

Welcome to Tempe!

Old 12-30-2008, 01:57 PM

1,169 posts, read 5,254,156 times
There are lots of orgs where meeting people is easier. Some good ones are mentioned here and one more I know of is a group of folks that maintain trails used by people in wheelchairs. Anything like this will be better than the bar scene unless you are looking for one-nighters.

If you are sports inclined a softball team also is a good starting point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area