Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 06:23 PM

156 posts, read 370,076 times

Advertisements

I know credit is a touchy subject, but I have questions and concerns.

I currently live in Austin, TX. Texas is one of the few states where creditors cannot garnish wages, period. (student loans, taxes, child support, can be taken, though)

In the latter half of 2007 I had severe financial difficulties, which essentially resulted in my credit accounts going bad and my score dropping from around 700 to god knows what.(450?)

Things are a tad bit better know. Tried to work with some creditors, to no avail.

Next year, I may move to AZ due to better opportunities with my company.

My concern: I am aware that in AZ, creditors can garnish up to 25% of your after tax income. My question is, how common do creditors actually go this route, and is there any way for the debtor to fight it?

Anyone here brave enough to discuss their bad credit, and let me know if this route is being used fairly often by creditors in AZ?

I know it depends on the actual collector, and the amount, and things like that, but I want to get a general feel on this.

For anyone wanting to lecture, I know I screwed up, and I will be dealing with this for years to come, I already beat myself up enough over it.

Thanks everyone for your help and input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 10:42 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,354,023 times
I've never heard of anyone having the wages garnished for anything other than tax or child support debt. You should be able to work out a deal with each of your creditors or go into credit counseling to get them off your back. Running from creditors is always worse than trying to work out a deal with them.

Old 09-28-2008, 11:09 PM

477 posts, read 1,583,058 times
Interesting that I read this, as a friend of mine just had L.A Fitness garnish her husband's wages....yep, 25% for not paying their dues. I believe it has been atleast 3 years since the original agreement. But, yes, it is true that they can garnish here. I really cannot believe it but it seems in this day, they come after you insted of charging off the bad debt. There are going to be alot of people in this predicament due to this economy! YIKES

Old 09-28-2008, 11:43 PM

156 posts, read 370,076 times
Yea, I have really never heard of any creditors actually trying to garnish someones wages for credit card debt.

One of my creditors just charged off one of my accounts.

I hate having my credit jacked up and owing money, but what can you do? And like I said, I tried working with them, but they didn't want to budge.

Anyone else?

Old 09-29-2008, 12:17 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,696,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RampageInAZ View Post
Yea, I have really never heard of any creditors actually trying to garnish someones wages for credit card debt.

One of my creditors just charged off one of my accounts.

I hate having my credit jacked up and owing money, but what can you do? And like I said, I tried working with them, but they didn't want to budge.

Anyone else?
Creditors or the financial institutions will NOT work with you by any means, but they will give you a bad loan anyway. We live in millionaire land and loosing a job never happens btw, i would keep all communication between you and any credit institution in writing or recorded for 7 years.

I only say these things because i've had to deal with the financial system bs.

As far as credit, i told my fiance that i wanted to hold off on marriage because i would drill her credit to the ground.

Old 09-29-2008, 01:02 AM

1,775 posts, read 6,354,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post
Creditors or the financial institutions will NOT work with you by any means, but they will give you a bad loan anyway.
What do you mean by a bad loan? I've gotten lots of mortgages, car loans and credit cards and don't recall one of them ever being "bad". If you pay as agreed, it works out just fine. I did once get into credit card trouble after college. All of them cut me a great deal, once I contacted the appropriate departments.

Old 09-29-2008, 01:25 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,696,204 times
damn my fiancee's computer. I had this large paragraph typed and poof, it went away. Let's just say Chase and Subuaru wouldn't bother giving me a chance to catch up. Talking to their financial people isn't any better.

I could not afford a big car loan. I could afford a $5000 car loan and handle the payments because they would end soon. Instead, the state requires you to buy a car worth $10,000 to qualify for a loan. I couldn't afford $10,000 or more, as a car loan. I needed a car, so i got the higher loan.I got stuck. I was living paycheck to paycheck, making payments on time. I was 3 years into it with no problems, when i was laid off. Couldn't find work for a couple months and was screwed.

Talked to them multiple times over the phone about the situation and refused to work anything out. I could have easily caught up because i was making more money.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:02 AM

595 posts, read 2,307,600 times
It's funny to hear the talk about bad loans. I've been reviewing a number of real estate contracts, and they are all basically the same format. To say they did not understand is a lame excuse.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:22 AM

1,170 posts, read 3,435,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RampageInAZ View Post
I know credit is a touchy subject, but I have questions and concerns.

I currently live in Austin, TX. Texas is one of the few states where creditors cannot garnish wages, period. (student loans, taxes, child support, can be taken, though)

In the latter half of 2007 I had severe financial difficulties, which essentially resulted in my credit accounts going bad and my score dropping from around 700 to god knows what.(450?)

Things are a tad bit better know. Tried to work with some creditors, to no avail.

Next year, I may move to AZ due to better opportunities with my company.

My concern: I am aware that in AZ, creditors can garnish up to 25% of your after tax income. My question is, how common do creditors actually go this route, and is there any way for the debtor to fight it?

Anyone here brave enough to discuss their bad credit, and let me know if this route is being used fairly often by creditors in AZ?

I know it depends on the actual collector, and the amount, and things like that, but I want to get a general feel on this.

For anyone wanting to lecture, I know I screwed up, and I will be dealing with this for years to come, I already beat myself up enough over it.

Thanks everyone for your help and input.
try www.incharge.org
the creditors will not work with you but they will work with company like this. Give them a call and see what they can do for you.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:31 AM

477 posts, read 1,583,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post
damn my fiancee's computer. I had this large paragraph typed and poof, it went away. Let's just say Chase and Subuaru wouldn't bother giving me a chance to catch up. Talking to their financial people isn't any better.

I could not afford a big car loan. I could afford a $5000 car loan and handle the payments because they would end soon. Instead, the state requires you to buy a car worth $10,000 to qualify for a loan. I couldn't afford $10,000 or more, as a car loan. I needed a car, so i got the higher loan.I got stuck. I was living paycheck to paycheck, making payments on time. I was 3 years into it with no problems, when i was laid off. Couldn't find work for a couple months and was screwed.

Talked to them multiple times over the phone about the situation and refused to work anything out. I could have easily caught up because i was making more money.
So, did they repossess(sp) your car? How long did they wait? I have heard of people getting reposessed after being 1 week late.(why don't I know how to spell that word)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area