Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 08:54 AM

570 posts, read 1,752,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I am moving to Phoenix this July. I am excited to experience a whole different environment and everything the area has to offer. I currently live in Wisconsin and have been living in this part of the country for my whole life. I WILL NOT MISS SNOW. I’m sure there are allot of people who would say that about the dry Arizona heat and I think it is just a personal basis on what we like, and what we can handle. There really isn’t a perfect place with perfect seasons that I know of?
Moving in July will be a great test for you. If you like it then, you should have no problems. Your summer will be about 40 degrees warmer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 02:05 PM

5 posts, read 7,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmuch69 View Post
Moving in July will be a great test for you. If you like it then, you should have no problems. Your summer will be about 40 degrees warmer.
Yeah it will be a huge difference. I have always been a fan of warm weather. I think my girlfriend will have a harder time with the heat than I. I have a hard time with high humidity but not so much heat but mind you I have never experienced 110 degrees.

One thing I have heard about the Phoenix area is that you use water misters on your patios during the summer? I thought that was interesting. Do they make a big difference?

Old 12-31-2009, 02:25 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,664,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glada13 View Post
Yeah it will be a huge difference. I have always been a fan of warm weather. I think my girlfriend will have a harder time with the heat than I. I have a hard time with high humidity but not so much heat but mind you I have never experienced 110 degrees.

One thing I have heard about the Phoenix area is that you use water misters on your patios during the summer? I thought that was interesting. Do they make a big difference?
Maybe if you sit directly under them. After one use, they start dripping instead of misting. The water here is so hard though that you may spend more time cleaning the nozzles in CLR than actually using them. They also cause quick dry rot of your fascia boards. I don't think its worth the effort and damage for the tiny bit of relief they may provide.

Old 12-31-2009, 03:06 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,483,076 times
I agree. We have a mister out on our patio too. Big pain in the A. I don't think we have even used it the past couple years. You would be better off buying a spray bottle from walmart/target for $2.

The industrial models that you see outside of some businesses seem good to go.

Old 01-01-2010, 03:01 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,664,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundball View Post
You would be better off buying a spray bottle from walmart/target for $2.
AND if you spring for an extra .50c you can get a deluxe model with a built in fan behind the nozzle. Good times.

Old 01-01-2010, 03:08 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,981,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
And; that same exact excuse can be used as to why kids in Detroit, etc. get involved in crime as well-------------the phrase 'cabin fever' comes to mind.
You fail to see the the obvious: crooks are inclined to commit crimes when the weather is nicer.

Old 01-01-2010, 11:04 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,473,570 times
I sometimes have to work outside during Phoenix summers. The greatest innovation to surviving a summer comfortably here has to be Underarmour HotGear clothing - they wick sweat away so well and don't retain any odors because of the antibacterial finish. Undershirts, polo shirts, and performance briefs mean you're not walking around in sweaty, wet clothing. There's a reason the military in Iraq gets issued them.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:05 PM

27,337 posts, read 27,389,029 times
I think Im famaliar with what youre talking about, the green flannel-fleece-whatever type of shirts? My son gave me a few when he got back from Iraq last year and theyre great for keeping warm too. They kinda feel like flannel. sorta?

Old 01-02-2010, 09:30 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,473,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 115db View Post
I think Im famaliar with what youre talking about, the green flannel-fleece-whatever type of shirts? My son gave me a few when he got back from Iraq last year and theyre great for keeping warm too. They kinda feel like flannel. sorta?
Well, they make a HotGear and a ColdGear for cold weather. The poly undershirts are thin but don't feel clammy. The underwear is about the most comfortable thing you can wear in hot climates. Most sporting good chains carry them.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:56 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,122,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
You fail to see the the obvious: crooks are inclined to commit crimes when the weather is nicer.
Yet how does that explain the very high crime rates per capita in places like DC and Detroit compared to Phx? The winters in the first two places suck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area