Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 10:29 AM

845 posts, read 2,327,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Wash DC native here............no thank you re: back east weather.
wind chill of zero for kickoff tonight at RFK. Those UCLA boys are gonna be cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 11:27 AM
zox

344 posts, read 479,011 times
The heat doesn't bother me, it's the consistency that gets me. I grew up in Dallas and am considering moving back because I miss winters. It's funny because I was just on the Dallas forum and some of their residents try to sell Dallas like it's warm all year round like it's Phoenix or Houston. They have no idea. That's the last thing I would tell people. I miss seasons and having winter. I say that now but I bet I will come back to Phoenix because I'm probably a wimp when it comes to the cold now

Old 12-29-2009, 12:06 PM

149 posts, read 315,201 times
Phoenix is just an extreme end of the spectrum when it comes to heat. The other end being Barrow, AK (they get snow in the summer). You get paid back with BEAUTIFUL Oct-May weather... Too bad a person couldn't just take the summers off and spend them in the mountains We almost have the same issue here where Dec-March (most years) where its tough being outside for any extent of time, unless it involves physical activity (hiking, running, cutting wood). April-Nov are usually quite enjoyable here, and the change of the seasons is always something to look forward too.

Snowbirds have the right idea...now i just need some money!

Old 12-29-2009, 02:28 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,664,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zox View Post
The heat doesn't bother me, it's the consistency that gets me. I grew up in Dallas and am considering moving back because I miss winters. It's funny because I was just on the Dallas forum and some of their residents try to sell Dallas like it's warm all year round like it's Phoenix or Houston. They have no idea. That's the last thing I would tell people. I miss seasons and having winter. I say that now but I bet I will come back to Phoenix because I'm probably a wimp when it comes to the cold now
I feel the same way actually except for the part about betting I will come back to Phoenix. I can deal with heat fine and actually may even prefer the warmth to the cold, but do not like living in air conditioned buildings for such long periods of the year.

Thanks to Phoenix, I will now be able to appreciate a 4 season climate more than I would if I had lived my whole life with seasons. I probably would have had my little bouts with snow and hated it, moved here a few years, then realized I couldn't handle the monotony of a 2 season rainless/snowless climate and moved back like so many others.

I have narrowed it down to no place extreme. A nice four season climate where the year is broken up into quarters is ideal. I now know I wouldn't want to live anywhere where one season overpowers all the others.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:42 PM

570 posts, read 1,753,198 times
Quote:
Some may claim that extreme heat is only a month or two but in my many years of living there, it starts hitting into the 90s in about May, and continues into October or so. The extremes are well into the triple digits, which most of the summer consists of. For the most part, most people stay indoors in an air conditioned building so they dont really endure it, except maybe on weekends if they choose to be out in it.
Personally I cant take the dry dusty heat. Desert dwellers love it and thats okay for them, nothing wrong with that. But unless youre one who has actually worked outdoors 5 days a week, it can be tough even for those who love the desert. I live in the high desert in Calif and just hitting into the 90's is treacherous, but at least I work indoors so of course I can say 'its not that bad'. But its still freakin hot in the summertime, yikes! I think parts of New Mexico and Texas have the same issues of the extreme, during the summer.
Of course, compared to Iraq or the Middle East, it cant compare. My son was stationed in Iraq and is going back this spring.
I see 90s in Apr & Nov, 100s in May & Oct, and 110+ Jun - Sep.
I think it's quite funny hearing people say that it's too cold to go outside here when it's in the 40s and 50s. I used to play outside in Wisconsin all day when it was -10! Sure can't do that here when it's 113. I can handle it up to 100 but after that it's miserable.
I think the people here that say they like the hot summers aren't true outdoors people. They just go from air conditioned car to air conditioned building to pool/lake or only go outside at night.

Last edited by notmuch69; 12-30-2009 at 12:55 PM..

Old 12-30-2009, 09:26 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,982,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmuch69 View Post
I think the people here that say they like the hot summers aren't true outdoors people. They just go from air conditioned car to air conditioned building to pool/lake or only go outside at night.
Correct, and one of the reasons is they're older and less cold tolerant which typically go hand in hand. Of course you'll always get the vocal few exclaiming they're not. In fact I expect such replies shortly.

With kids in the picture you *want* them to be active outdoors when school is out during the summer. In winter it isn't as big a deal since they're at school or involved in school activites most of the day anyway. Credit AZ's high incidence of crimes (relative to other states) to bored teenagers cooped inside most of the day during those hot summers.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:46 PM

5 posts, read 7,454 times
I am moving to Phoenix this July. I am excited to experience a whole different environment and everything the area has to offer. I currently live in Wisconsin and have been living in this part of the country for my whole life. I WILL NOT MISS SNOW. I’m sure there are allot of people who would say that about the dry Arizona heat and I think it is just a personal basis on what we like, and what we can handle. There really isn’t a perfect place with perfect seasons that I know of?

Moderator cut: soprry, off topic for AZ forum

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 12-30-2009 at 11:11 PM.. Reason: Font

Old 12-31-2009, 05:56 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
Correct, and one of the reasons is they're older and less cold tolerant which typically go hand in hand. Of course you'll always get the vocal few exclaiming they're not. In fact I expect such replies shortly.

With kids in the picture you *want* them to be active outdoors when school is out during the summer. In winter it isn't as big a deal since they're at school or involved in school activites most of the day anyway. Credit AZ's high incidence of crimes (relative to other states) to bored teenagers cooped inside most of the day during those hot summers.
And; that same exact excuse can be used as to why kids in Detroit, etc. get involved in crime as well-------------the phrase 'cabin fever' comes to mind.

The main reason that some kids get into trouble is a lack of socializing-------------at home.

Old 12-31-2009, 08:48 AM

570 posts, read 1,753,198 times
Quote:
I miss the summer and being able to jump in the shower without waiting for hot water...we have instant hot right out the gate.
That's one thing I hate about summer, not being able to get a cool shower when I'm roasting. Even with only the cold turned on it's still to warm.

Old 12-31-2009, 08:51 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmuch69 View Post
I see 90s in Apr & Nov, 100s in May & Oct, and 110+ Jun - Sep.
I think it's quite funny hearing people say that it's too cold to go outside here when it's in the 40s and 50s. I used to play outside in Wisconsin all day when it was -10! Sure can't do that here when it's 113. I can handle it up to 100 but after that it's miserable.
Sorry: some of us despise daytime highs avg. in the 40's or low 50's. Besides; the nightime lows tend to be below freezing in those locales with the exception of parts of California. No thank you; I happen to like my palm trees, citrus and bougainvillea--------none of which (except for possibly trachycarpus fortunai) will survive in a true '4 season' climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area