Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 11:16 PM

369 posts, read 2,164,830 times

Advertisements

If your the type of person who will defend Phoenix to your grave... this isn't your thread...

If your the type of person who just comes here to bad mouth Phoenix.. This isn't your thread either..

( I don't want arguing, and troll wars )

This is for all the people who have come here to Phoenix from somewhere else only to find they aren't that fond of this place....

I want to know why Phoenix isn't for you, and where you think the IDEAL place to live is...

I'm a transplant from Boston, MA. Boston owns Phoenix in just about every category... I haven't been here long enough to dislike this place.. I'm just not sold on it.. just yet.. ??

I came for cheaper housing, and mild winters... I just didn't expect some of the other things that came along with the "big move"..

So all of you guys who are here on a daily basis talking about how much Phoenix sucks... What are your alternatives? What city would you rather be in, and why??

I start this thread to possibly get a good idea on my next "big move"...

Lets not get nasty.. I want this to be a good thread..

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 11:50 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,695,475 times
I don't know if i want to live here for the next 30 years or more. My girlfriend loves the ocean, i love effective architecture,smart transit planning,nature, and hate large amounts of sunray's (it burns my skin, litterly, it hurts. To be honest, after i get my bachelor degree, we are probably going to move to San Diego. Good money for both our career's.

Then there is the problem with her state retirement. She has accumulated it for 6 years so far.

Old 10-03-2008, 12:47 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
Please, give it up. Regardless of your intentions, this is exactly the type of thread that spawns 80 pages of flame wars, with everybody reiterating the same crap over and over. I've been on this forum for over a year and a half and I've seen WAY too many of these. Stick to discussing specific, tangible matters and places relating to life in Phoenix on the other threads.

Old 10-03-2008, 07:28 AM

88 posts, read 251,850 times
Without stating why Phoenix is not for me, which is usually what starts the flame war, I'll say my idea place.

Ideally, I would prefer to be in Monterrey, California. The climate (60ish nearly year round) is ideal for me. Yes, there is plenty of fog, but I rather enjoy watching the fog roll in off the ocean. The ocean is the next reason. Sure, I can go out and swim without freezing to death, but it is incredibly relaxing anyway. Not to mention the blue green water is awesome. The ocean in that area is also teeming with wildlife, like dolphins, sea otters, porpoises, whales, and the occasional ocean sun fish. Most of these you would be able to see from a high vantage point. Some of them you can see standing at water's edge.

Drive a few minutes south (avoiding Pebble Beach, because it sucks) and you'll be in Big Sur, looking over huge cliffs down onto the ocean. Go down far enough and you'll be at Julia Pfeiffer Burns state beach, with a waterfall right out onto the ocean.

There's my little take

Old 10-03-2008, 08:09 AM

674 posts, read 2,552,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post
I don't know if i want to live here for the next 30 years or more. My girlfriend loves the ocean, i love effective architecture,smart transit planning,nature, and hate large amounts of sunray's (it burns my skin, litterly, it hurts. To be honest, after i get my bachelor degree, we are probably going to move to San Diego. Good money for both our career's.

Then there is the problem with her state retirement. She has accumulated it for 6 years so far.

I don't see that as a big problem. Move to wherever you'll be happy.

Old 10-03-2008, 08:33 AM

39,073 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Gee, I've lived here probably longer than you have been alive and I bet if I moved to Boston I would not like everything (much) there either. We get set in our ways, don't we? You know best what you like and don't like. There is a web site that lets you put all that in and gives you a list of places that are ideal for you. I think that would be a much better starting place than a flame war on C-D.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:08 AM

930 posts, read 2,422,640 times
I love the way this dude is the authority and spelled out the rules and put us all in our place.

Boston? Baahaa waa ha ha ha ha ha

Old 10-03-2008, 10:14 AM

369 posts, read 2,164,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beena View Post
I love the way this dude is the authority and spelled out the rules and put us all in our place.

So far the only 2 negative posts, were from 2 people that back Phoenix..

I haven't said anything bad about Phoenix.. I don't mind living here.. So far it's been great.. I just don't know if it's my "forever" place... I felt the same about Boston.

I'm just curious as to what people have to say about other parts of the country...

Old 10-03-2008, 10:59 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beena View Post

Why dont you go visit Boston and then laugh. I guarantee the only laughing youll be doing is when you fly back to PHX and see how pathetic it looks/feels compared to Boston. Boston is an incredibly cool/beautiful city, there's no reason to laugh at it.

Old 10-03-2008, 11:11 AM

930 posts, read 2,422,640 times
Actually flew to Boston and the East coast many times on business, mostly during the winter months. I will never forget several times leaving an overcast and freezing east coast and flying up over the clouds and thinking...my gawd...is it going to be overcast all the way to Phx? But it never failed that about the time you flew over the Mogollon Rim you would see this huge opening in the clouds and you were landing in the valley of the sun which was your one refuge that you could count on to be continually sunny.

If overcast and frozen works for you....go for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area