Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 04:38 PM

5 posts, read 10,313 times

Advertisements

It seems to have been asked so many times, but everyone goes off in a different direction. I have visited Arizona about 5 times a year, staying almost 2 weeks at a time. We are now moving, going where the job takes us, and have mixed ideas of where to live. I love the Desert Ridge area, reminds me of my home in the suburbs of Chicago....just much hotter. I have heard great things of North Peoria, but Peoria as a whole gets a ick? I have heard great things of Mesa, Gilbert, but my priority is great schools! I need safety, clean and close to shopping, hospitals and the life I know. I just don't have any great ideas of where to look, subdivisons...towns...realtors tell you where to live based on the number of properties they're trying to sell. I need some guidance!!! Please, someone....where shall I start? If you can give me 5 places....where would it be? The traffic doesn't bother me, work from home. so think great schools, safe all around towns, that are good for a young family!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 05:37 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,484,089 times
I think N.Peoria is a good place to look. Great schools and all the shopping you need. Close to hospitals and very safe. You don't have to go to the parts of town you don't like.

Parts of Glendale are a bit ick. I hardly go south of Bell in Glendale or Peoria. I have no reason to. I don't think you should discount Peoria on the parts of town you will never go to.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,862 times
There are shopping centers almost exactly like Desert Ridge in Tempe and Chandler, just FYI, and probably others in parts of the Valley I haven't been to yet. I have lived in North Scottsdale very near Desert Ridge, and it and Cave Creek are "nice", statistically crime-free areas (no idea about schools).

If schools are your main concern, I have co-workers who say great things about Gilbert, the town of Maricopa, and the Paradise Valley and Kyrene school districts. There are so many suburbs in this huge valley you could consider. I personally would recommend Gilbert or the Chandler/Ahwatukee area because for the most part they are safe and family-oriented, with plenty of shopping and a suburban feel. The town of Maricopa has a very small-town kind of feel but is limited in its retail opportunities (at least 20-minutes from Chandler/Ahwatukee shopping, and a long commute to Central Phoenix). But it is growing fast.

Paradise Valley is one of the wealthiest cities in the nation, no surprise why those schools are highly rated. I don't know much about the West/Northwest Valley, having lived mostly in South Scottsdale, worked in Ahwatukee, and spent all of my free time exploring the East Valley.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:17 PM

109 posts, read 757,419 times
NE Mesa has a nice community called Las Sendas. The elementary school is rated #1 in AZ. Nice golf course, walking paths, pools, LOTS of kids/family activities, and great mountain views.

Las Sendas - In Mesa at Thomas & Power Road

Old 10-07-2008, 02:20 PM

4 posts, read 14,021 times
Chandler is a great area, with great amenities and people. Communities in Chandler that I recommend are Ocotillo, Andersen Springs, Clemente Ranch, Pecos Ranch, Fulton Ranch ($$) They all have great schools, close to freeways, Chandler Fashion Center. Realtors that I recommend are Adam Brixius DPR 480-234-1358 and Nancy Niblett Keller Williams 480-200-5001

Old 10-07-2008, 02:41 PM

713 posts, read 1,461,394 times
gilbert and queen creek. lots of shopping nearby, and lots more coming. nice out-skirt type of places to live, and it not downtown phoenix. 202 is close by which can get you to I10 and the 101 quickly.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:46 PM

16 posts, read 46,652 times
My vote is for Gilbert. Homes are reasonably priced now and they're moving quickly out there by comparison. The schools are great too, which is one of the reasons Gilbert is so popular. Everything in Phoenix is 20 minutes away, basically.

Old 10-07-2008, 03:17 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,746,321 times
I will plug N. Peoria. We live up in a development called Vistancia and right now there are some unbelievable bank owned properties that would tempt me. This master planned community has all the ammenities one could hope for, especially if you have children. We have 4 pools, a resort like clubhouse, gym and more. If you golf, there is the Trilogy course right across the street with a very nice restaurant. We have a new Safeway center right at the entrance to Vistancia and you can walk to it via the walking trail, which is paved and lit. We are but 4 miles from 4 corners of major shopping centers, Lowes, Home Depot, Super Target, Pier One, Paradise Bakery, Chili's and more coming soon. Best of luck in your search.

Old 10-07-2008, 03:42 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,341,709 times
You ve got to give more information - mainly, renting or buying? What is your price range? Will make a big difference in the options!

One could assume you were in the Peoria price range from your comments, but would be better if there was numbers posted.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:32 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
NW Peoria, like Vistancia is a fantastic place. You get all the amenities or more than Scottsdale and none of the snobsville attitude. Everything you'll ever want is located there. Plus you're close to Lake Pleasant, a big bonus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area