Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2007, 11:44 AM

4,894 posts, read 14,134,978 times

Advertisements

ok...if one has time to come out & interview for jobs, prior to making a move, what's the cheapest way to do it???

are there any hostels, cheap hotels, cabs to catch ... that kind of thing...have to spend $250 on a ticket but is there anyway to keep it as reasonable as possible during a job search?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2007, 12:29 PM

I guess everyone's clueless on this one?

Old 02-14-2007, 02:27 PM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,788,293 times
I guess so...

A couple things to consider;
How long are you staying?
If there's more than one job interview, how far apart are they?

I think 'Super Shuttle' and/or similar companies are cheaper than cabs. If the interviews are spread out in different parts of the valley, It will probably be cheaper renting a car.

When I travel (seldom) and money is tight (always), I look for Super-8's, Motel 6's, etc. I'd sleep in my car before I went to some type of boarding house or YMCA. Having survived almost 30 years in law enforcement, I know any part of any town can be dangerous, but I try to research the areas and go for the safest place (on paper at least) that I can afford. Of course I'm never unarmed either .

If you don't mind, post the cross streets of the areas your interviews are at and I or someone else can help you decide on an area to stay during your trip. If your just coming out to file applications but don't know where, the type of industry/business might be helpful.

Good luck!

Old 02-15-2007, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj661 View Post
I guess so...

A couple things to consider;
How long are you staying?
If there's more than one job interview, how far apart are they?

I think 'Super Shuttle' and/or similar companies are cheaper than cabs. If the interviews are spread out in different parts of the valley, It will probably be cheaper renting a car.

When I travel (seldom) and money is tight (always), I look for Super-8's, Motel 6's, etc. I'd sleep in my car before I went to some type of boarding house or YMCA. Having survived almost 30 years in law enforcement, I know any part of any town can be dangerous, but I try to research the areas and go for the safest place (on paper at least) that I can afford. Of course I'm never unarmed either .

If you don't mind, post the cross streets of the areas your interviews are at and I or someone else can help you decide on an area to stay during your trip. If your just coming out to file applications but don't know where, the type of industry/business might be helpful.

Good luck!
I would be planning to set up my interviews in May. I have a week's vacation and I plan to visit my family in Tucson while there. I'm hoping rates would be lower (like FL), 'cause it's after the winter season...I would like to do 2-3 interviews a day...for like 4 days in Phoenix...which would be all set up prior.

I'll know later in respect to location...Sounds like I need to rent a car win, lose or draw to get to Tucson anyhow....

But, yeah, CHEAP hotels but I don't want to worry about my safety...maybe I'll try to get a friend to fly out with me who has family in Phoenix.

Will be looking for positions in property management.

Old 02-15-2007, 01:53 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,136,452 times
Most of the cheap hotels in town (Motel 6 comes to mind) are in BAD neighborhoods or are next to loud freeways/industrial areas. You won't leave Phoenix with a good impression by staying in this boomtown on the cheap. May is a good month for visiting as far as seasonal rates go (it's also our sunniest and driest month, and, in my opinion, a difficult month since it seems every day is a degree hotter than the one before). Yes, a car is a must. Phoenix is 40 miles across and it's 130 miles to Tucson. I think it makes sense to focus on the part of town you're most interested in and try to concentrate your interviewing there. Buy a map and acquaint yourself with the main streets and our simple addressing system. Property management will provide opportunities all over town and I'd hate to see you interviewing 3 times a day when each place is 10 miles or more from the other. You'd arrive frazzled from the heat and stress of the drive--not a good situation to be in. In any case, good luck on your job search and take the time to find your piece of Arizona sunshine.

Old 02-18-2007, 09:01 PM

1,943 posts, read 2,294,075 times
Do not stay at " In town suites " at 51st ave and I-10/Mcdowel for $ 250 a week you get to see all walks of life , homelss , hookers, tatoos, but if you want cheap and clean with fridge, microwave, kitchen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: