Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 09:25 PM

206 posts, read 1,078,355 times

Advertisements

Hello, everyone,

I am considering moving to Scottsdale, AZ, and wondering whether that will be the right move for me.

A little about me: I am in my twenties, single, female and I love the outdoors and nature, on the other hand I also need to meet other nice and intelligent young single people. I am fairly artistic and well-educated.

My questions is: will I be too isolated in Scottsdale, from people my age? I know that it is better to meet many people in a big city, but I would rather meet my kind of people in my kind of city. Yet, would Santa Fe be perhaps more appropriate for someone older with a family?

My second question: what are people like in Scottsdale? I have lived in both NY and Ca. I do not like people there that much, instead, I am drawn to people from the midwest and the south---they are just warmer and nicer people. What are people in AZ like?

If you have any sugguestions for any other cities that I may like to live, please tell me! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 10:07 PM

147 posts, read 376,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheregirl View Post
Hello, everyone,

I am considering moving to Scottsdale, AZ, and wondering whether that will be the right move for me.

A little about me: I am in my twenties, single, female and I love the outdoors and nature, on the other hand I also need to meet other nice and intelligent young single people. I am fairly artistic and well-educated.

My questions is: will I be too isolated in Santa Fe? I know that it is better to meet many people in a big city, but I would rather meet my kind of people in my kind of city. Yet, would Santa Fe be perhaps more appropriate for someone older with a family?

My second question: what are people like in Scottsdale? I have lived in both NY and Ca. I do not like people there that much, instead, I am drawn to people from the midwest and the south---they are just warmer and nicer people. What are people in AZ like?

If you have any sugguestions for any other cities that I may like to live, please tell me! Thank you!
Well let me be the first to welcome you, and thank you for you interest in the great city of Scottsdale, Arizona! I trust that you won't be dissapointed in what you discover, and that you come to understand why close to a quarter of a million people call our fair city home.

Let me first start off by saying that Scottsdale is trully (if you don't mind the heat) a magnificant place to live out all stages of life. I really mean that! We are constantly ranked well above other cities, in general terms of quality of life issues, in our own population group and beyond. There is just so much to love about living here, it is hard think of where to begin.

While Scottsdale is without a doubt the perfect place for the "soccer-mom" kind of families to call home, it is also a perfect place for someone in your own demographic as well. It is important to keep in mind that while Scottsdale tends to promote a clean cut image of suburbia, it really takes that a step further, and the changing affects can be seen not only in the city, but in Phoenix and Tempe as well. While there is a large amount of suburban growth occuring in both Scottsdale and Phoenix, each is moving fast to urbanize their central cores, and are trying to change the Arizona image of rampant sprawl. There is still alot more improvement that needs to take shape, but for the people that live here now, we can easily take advantage of what is being done today. This has led to what I believe are the three kinds of Scottsdale. One; the suburban type, Two; the vacation hotspot, and Three; the single scene that has exploded on the southern portion of Scottsdale and the northern portion of Tempe. These areas attract lots of single, well-edcuated, and otherwise intelligent people on any given night. If you like nightlife, this is where it will happen. In regards to you love of the outdoors....well....it is Arizona. The possibilities are really endless, so enjoy. I really don't need to elaborate on that.

Now to be honest, my time in Santa Fe was fairly brief, and I was not able to explore the city as much as I would have liked. I highly doubt that it is a more successful city than Scottsdale, but than again, Scottsdale is still classified as a suburban communtiy to Phoenix/Mesa. I can't say that my time there really reminded me of the Scottsdale vibe, but to each his own, and who am I too judge.

The only real problem that I can see for you is the "Cali people" issue. I was born and raised in SCali, so maybe I don't notice it. If the way Cali people come off bothers you, than Scottsdale, or anywhere in Phoenix, Vegas, Denver, or even SLC and Boise, might not be your first choice. On this forum however, most people seem to have this warped idea that Scottsdale is rude, snotty, and rather pretentious. I will admit that there are several VERY wealthy neighborhoods in Scottsdale that have every single property reaching well into the seven figures. Of course it doesn't help that many of the wealthiest zip codes in Arizona bump up right next to Scottsdale in a geograhpical sense, and that many of the most sought after and exlcusive areas of Phoenix border Scottsdale as well. But it seems that almost every community in Phoenix nowadays has at least one, of not more areas like this, what with all the wealth that has poured into the valley from California. The only real difference is, Scottsdale tends to attract more of this, and has been doing it longer. As a result, you tend to have a significant amount of the population that suddenly become 80K millionaires as soon as they buy a house in Scottsdale. This is not unique in the least to our city when compared to other coastal cities, and it really something that you find, at least for me, easily enough ignored. Bottom line; if you like what the city has to offer give it a chance, whether or not the people come off as rude. Like I mentioned before, it is afterall a city of 250K people. I think you more than likely find a group of people that you can bond with. If not, there is always Phoenix next door which is the fifth largest city in the nation, so I think you will more than likely get along with someone.

Best of luck, and let me know if you require more info. Moving is such an exciting, but at the same time, unnerving experience to say the least!

Old 10-08-2008, 01:23 PM

206 posts, read 1,078,355 times
Thank you very much for your thoughtful reply.

I have a few more questions: the singles nightlife south of Scottsdale that you mentioned attract what kind of people? people in their 20's, 30's, or much older? Vacationers or locals?

I am just wondering that with the high living cost, whether it is most a place for older people who have already made the money? Where are the young people, are they kids of those wealthy folks, or just successful and young? Thanks!

Old 10-12-2008, 10:22 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,223,721 times
One thing you might want to consider wheregirl is that for a great deal of the year (maybe 4 or 5 months or so, depending on how well you do in the heat) it is too hot in Scottsdale to be outside other than very early in the morning or later in the evening, so please keep that in mind. In the summer, most people go from airconditioned houses to airconditioned cars to airconditioned offices, clubs or malls.

While I like Scottsdale, I don't live there (I live north, in Sedona) but have noticed a large number of ads in the area for plastic surgery etc. which seems to be a very big thing there. Personally I am not used to this, and would never consider it myself, I believe in using what you've got, and aging gracefully. There seems to be a huge emphasis on being beautiful (perhaps at all costs?) in Scottsdale. I have a friend there who is very beautiful, young and fit and she tells me she's considered a 'big girl' in her neighborhood so there is that element of plasticity (or fitting in) there. This may stem from all of the California transplants (or not) and I don't by any means want to offend you Californians, I know not all of you are into plastic surgery, however it does seem to be a little more common there (and you are very beautiful)!

Old 10-13-2008, 12:40 PM

101 posts, read 383,159 times
Hi wheregirl! I am sending you a dm right now about Scottsdale and Sante Fe so keep your eye out for it!

Old 10-15-2008, 02:47 PM

1 posts, read 17,682 times
Hi,

I have a second home in Scottsdale. I am 41 years old and grew up in Tucson. Scottsdal is a great place for young people in their 20's. Men are very attractive and the nightlife(club scene) is good.

I would however check on the job possabilites before you move to ensure there are openings in your field, as the economy there is also experiencing a downturn. Otherwise, I think you would love it..

As for Santa Fe no way!!! Way to small for girl like you,you would be board stiff..

Old 10-15-2008, 09:07 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,762,672 times
Everyone talks about the club scene is Scottsdale its basically your 30k millionaire type. just got to thedirty.com and you will see the type that socialize at these places.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:23 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,951,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheregirl View Post
Hello, everyone,

My questions is: will I be too isolated in Scottsdale, from people my age? I know that it is better to meet many people in a big city, but I would rather meet my kind of people in my kind of city. Yet, would Santa Fe be perhaps more appropriate for someone older with a family?

If you don't like the people in NY very much I doubt you will be drawn to the Scottsdale scene.

Look into the Biltmore area.

Old 10-16-2008, 05:41 AM

7 posts, read 32,419 times
Hi Wheregirl,

Go a head Scottsdale is a beautiful place for people of your age. I don't think you will have good job opportunities like that in the cities. It is definitely a beautiful place to live.

Thanks,
Aaron,
http://www.reiessentials.com/

Old 10-17-2008, 08:51 AM

17 posts, read 107,617 times
Wheregirl, just google the song "Scottsdale Bars" by Blobots. That will give you a good idea of the nightlife there.
Scottsdale is kind of like LA in that if you don't have a boob and nose job, it'll be kind of hard to make friends... at least if you're in your 20's.
Tempe, the city to the south, is a little more laid back because ASU is there. They have a good nightlife scene but even that can get old sometimes.

There are nice places to hike here, like Camelback Mountain and Papago Park, but the temperatures are still a bit too hot to actually hike up a mountain during the day. (in a few weeks hopefully that will change!)

You said you were artistic, phoenix does have First Fridays, kind of like a block party for starving artists. You'd probably have your best luck finding people like yourself out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area