Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 03:59 PM

36 posts, read 40,109 times

Advertisements

I just registered here, and I'm interested in possibly getting some information. My life Partner and I are planning to come to Arizona during the Summer of 2009. He's from Upstate NY, and moved there in the late mid-80's. He came back in the early 90's to help out family. During that time, his parents died and there is nothing holding him in upstate NY anymore. He and I discussed it and we both want to head to Arizona. He felt more comfortable there and had better job situations. I too am looking forward to it, as there is no future here in New Jersey for me any longer. I'm wondering what are you're thoughts on the job market and what is the average price range for an apartment or a rental of a house? We would be also interested in renting a house with the option to buy. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 06:49 PM

24 posts, read 86,693 times
It really depends on your skillset, but the job market has really tightend up for most industries. I would try try some of the online job services like monster.com and get your resume out there several months in advance. If you have the ability, post an online resume (interactive, not a basic html); it gets you in front of people faster.

Well, I don't think you'll have any trouble renting a place. Almost any budget is workable here, but try logging onto forrent.com to get an idea about rental rates. Your question about renting with an option is tricky - I think you'll have to go through a realtor for that.

Old 10-10-2008, 06:56 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tboy34 View Post
I just registered here, and I'm interested in possibly getting some information. My life Partner and I are planning to come to Arizona during the Summer of 2009. He's from Upstate NY, and moved there in the late mid-80's. He came back in the early 90's to help out family. During that time, his parents died and there is nothing holding him in upstate NY anymore. He and I discussed it and we both want to head to Arizona. He felt more comfortable there and had better job situations. I too am looking forward to it, as there is no future here in New Jersey for me any longer. I'm wondering what are you're thoughts on the job market and what is the average price range for an apartment or a rental of a house? We would be also interested in renting a house with the option to buy. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Is there any way you can move there in February? Moving to Phoenix in the summer from the Northeast is really going to be a shock to physically heat-wise. Until you have experienced it, you really cannot imagine how 110 - 112 degree days, every day can seriously kick your butt.

20yrsinBranson
formerly of Phoenix

Old 10-23-2008, 07:45 AM

1,627 posts, read 6,504,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Is there any way you can move there in February? Moving to Phoenix in the summer from the Northeast is really going to be a shock to physically heat-wise. Until you have experienced it, you really cannot imagine how 110 - 112 degree days, every day can seriously kick your butt.

20yrsinBranson
formerly of Phoenix
I wouldn't worry about that if you like heat. We moved to AZ during the summer from a COLD place and it was wonderful!! But I love heat. And when people complain about the hot hair dryer blowing in your face I smile b/c I absolutely love that hot wind!! To each his own!

Old 10-23-2008, 08:15 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,654,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

20yrsinBranson
formerly of Phoenix
True. I think it's the over 100 for 4 months/year that takes its' toll on a person. The weather man said the other day that Sept. and Octobers are getting hotter each year, too. Like this year, we're still in the mid to high 90's. It's "relentless" heat is the best word I could use to describe it. Some people can deal with it for years and some can't.

Old 10-23-2008, 06:59 PM

219 posts, read 779,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
I wouldn't worry about that if you like heat. We moved to AZ during the summer from a COLD place and it was wonderful!! But I love heat. And when people complain about the hot hair dryer blowing in your face I smile b/c I absolutely love that hot wind!! To each his own!

If it was always 5% humidity and 110 degrees like it is in June, its not THAT intolerable. However, raise the humidity to 25% and lower the temperature to 105 and it pushes even my limits and I'm a heat/sun worshipper.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:50 PM

191 posts, read 611,843 times
My husband is from Oswego NY and I'm from PA. We moved here in July! And we've been here 10 years. The heat didn't scare us away. You would do best by securing jobs first before you move here. Look online, you don't mention your fields so it's hard to give specific advice on that. Once you know where you'll work, finding a home will be very easy. Tons of rentals available and many home sellers will do a Lease Purchase now. Good luck!

Old 02-21-2009, 08:36 PM

36 posts, read 40,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesweetazhome View Post
My husband is from Oswego NY and I'm from PA. We moved here in July! And we've been here 10 years. The heat didn't scare us away. You would do best by securing jobs first before you move here. Look on line, you don't mention your fields so it's hard to give specific advice on that. Once you know where you'll work, finding a home will be very easy. Tons of rentals available and many home sellers will do a Lease Purchase now. Good luck!
Since my writing this. We have decided on either Tempe Or Mesa Arizona. Would you happen to know about the life goings on there? Is it laid back, formal etc?? What is the work like there? Is work plentiful?

Old 02-21-2009, 09:32 PM

32 posts, read 111,533 times
Quote:
Since my writing this. We have decided on either Tempe Or Mesa Arizona. Would you happen to know about the life goings on there? Is it laid back, formal etc?? What is the work like there? Is work plentiful?
If you want a fun place to live in, then definitely move to Tempe! Mesa is more laid back and "formal", especially further east. As for work...the job market here in AZ in general is not that good, with companies laying off their employees just to cut costs.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:27 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Quote:
Work is not plentiful ANYWHERE, especially in hard-hit areas like Mesa, which I believe is in the top 5 cities in the nation facing home foreclosures. If I were you I would sit tight and make sure you have a job lined up before you consider making the move. Trust me on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area