Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 08:48 PM

78 posts, read 269,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinda View Post
I just wanted to update the forum that after living in Phoenix over the winter, my husband and I decided not to move there. I am only posting this incase someone sees me posting on other sites.

Southern Chandler and Sun Lakes were great, but I just really need to see more green. I found a fantastic church in Sun Lakes, it is Oasis of Grace, Assembly of God. Great friendly people a fantastic preacher.

Thanks to everyone for all your help and advice.
I'm always confused when people say there isnt a lot of green here. I find it to be very green. Granted its a lot of non-native planted vegatation but I was actually pleasantly surprised by all the green space here. Not to mention it's only a short drive up to the national forest which is very green. This is one of the most beautiful states I've ever been in. It literally took my breath away the first time I drove down into the valley from the mountains. Where else can you have 3 different climates with drastically different types of vegatation within a few hours drive of eachother. I love it here and can't imagine wanting to leave anytime soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 04:22 AM

1,217 posts, read 3,269,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeniebeenie View Post
He must be thinking of Lake Erie...sometimes Erie stinks!
Ok that one I can't argue with. It even stinks when your in Ohio. Ever go to Cedar Point and wonder why that certain odor seems to linger all day? LOL

Old 03-19-2009, 05:54 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,283,793 times
Pinda,

I feel your pain about the SAD, because I suffer from it as well. Have you considered Florida? Warm, lush, and green... and the real estate market is bad there too, so you could get a steal on a house. Only problem is those dumb hurricanes, but how often do they come along? The SC and GA coasts are gorgeous too. Personally, I was amazed at how green the Phoenix area actually was when I visited there for the first time in February, but I had expected it to look like Vegas and the high desert area, which is really, really brown.

Good luck wherever you end up!

Old 03-19-2009, 05:55 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,283,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGatti View Post
Ok that one I can't argue with. It even stinks when your in Ohio. Ever go to Cedar Point and wonder why that certain odor seems to linger all day? LOL
Ever visit a Lake Erie beach and see all the dead fish washed up on the shore? Sorry, but I couldn't eat anything out of that lake, even if I liked fish!

Old 03-19-2009, 07:21 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,681,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awf82 View Post
Where else can you have 3 different climates with drastically different types of vegatation within a few hours drive of each other.
California. But who wants to live in that crazy state? To the OP, welcome to the state with many hidden treasures.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:35 AM

9,964 posts, read 14,315,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awf82 View Post
I'm always confused when people say there isnt a lot of green here. I find it to be very green. Granted its a lot of non-native planted vegatation but I was actually pleasantly surprised by all the green space here. Not to mention it's only a short drive up to the national forest which is very green. This is one of the most beautiful states I've ever been in. It literally took my breath away the first time I drove down into the valley from the mountains. Where else can you have 3 different climates with drastically different types of vegatation within a few hours drive of eachother. I love it here and can't imagine wanting to leave anytime soon.
I lived in Tucson for almost 8 years. I LOVE Arizona and miss it now. But, it was so dry and brown--it really made me miss the green also.
The Tucson area only gets something like 10-12 inches of rain a year, compared with like 42-48 or so for the majority of the east coast.
It is a well-vegetated desert, but it is lacking the lush green of the east.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:22 AM

325 posts, read 1,018,768 times
I had a really hard time putting my finger on exactly why I wasn't feeling at home there. There is so much to like. The weather was just about perfect, the shopping and healthy food stores are great, etc...

I need a bit more space between homes and a little diversity in homes. I know Ocotillo is green and I was drawn to that area more. The sunshine was great and made me feel much better than I do in Wisconsin.

My husband is considering parts of Florida. I do love the lush, deep green there, but not the humidity. I will go where ever he is willing to move to help me with my SAD.

Austin, Hill Country is a big draw for me. I guess I probably already fell in love with that area and didn't give Arizona a real chance. Austin is 10 hours closer to home too. An easier drive, although my drive out to Phoenix was great.

Phoenix has so much to offer and you are right about mountains and different climates so close.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:42 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,690,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
79 sounds NICE right now! It's 68 degrees here and we only saw 73 degrees today. It was 49 degrees last night, I was freezing! Thankfully, we will warm back up by next weekend.

As for the drive, I would avoid Colorado. Also, try to plan passing through Flagstaff and Northern Arizona during the day. The nights and mornings up north are already in the teens and 20's and snow isn't unusual during the night and morning hours in that part of the state in early November. Granted it might not be a lot the roads and bridges freeze over and can make for an "interesting" drive; happened to me last November visiting family in Flagstaff. There was a small pile-up (6 cars) that I was able to avoid on the I-17/I-40 interchange in Flagstaff.
You think 49 degrees is cold? That's really funny, LOL! I can handle 49 degrees with no problem. It would be nice if we had 49 degrees during the day where I am. Its much better than having relentless, constant dry sunny weather with heat.

Oh well, I guess everyone is just different.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:56 AM

104 posts, read 293,092 times
You will love it~i moved from WI three years ago love the summers the most!!

Old 03-23-2009, 06:12 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,260,267 times
I understand how people could miss greenery. However, after spending some time on the east coast, I miss the OPEN SPACE and blue skies that you get with the desert environment. To each his own but I was feeling very claustrophobic and the greenery didn't make up for that. For me personally, I would rather have little green but great space and great skies than forest everywhere. I love how you can see for miles and miles here. I love space
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area