Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 10:29 AM

725 posts, read 2,313,082 times

Advertisements

Noticing quite a few Asian people live here, so wondering why there's no Chinatown here. Or is there one that I'm not aware of?

I know about Chinese cultural center, but I'm talking about an actual section of town where you can find all-Asian resturants, groceries, and other stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 11:37 AM

2,757 posts, read 7,377,871 times
The classic Phoenix Chinatown was located the south end of Downtown. It was not preserved and vanished shortly after WWII when its residents began spreading out over the metropolitan area. The Sing High Chop Suey house is one of the few relics left from that era.

More recently, Dobson Road in Mesa and Chandler has become a sort of linear Chinatown. There are several strip malls at intersections like Southern & Dobson, Warner & Dobson, etc. in which most businesses are geared toward Chinese, Vietnamese, and other east Asian populations.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:49 AM

551 posts, read 2,716,765 times
There is an authentic Asian grocery store called, "Lee Lee" on the corner of Warner & Dobson in Chandler. In the same complex is a very good Asian buffet with around 10 or so buffet tables and a small sushi station. The same restaurant also has a large BBQ area, which I believe is mostly for take-out. There are also a few other, somewhat authentic, Asian stores in this immediate area, such as Lee's Sandwiches.

Other than that, most Asian style restaurants (authentic & American-based) are scattered throughout the valley.

Luckily, there are no areas here similar to other "Chinatowns" where they sell cheap junk and so-called souvenirs.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:51 AM

8,020 posts, read 12,165,215 times
I've also wondered why there isn't some kind of village or district for the Asian/Chinese community in Phoenix. The fact that a group of Chinese preservationists killed the W Hotel project downtown was maddening enough! Their reasons for their opposition, and the lawsuit that followed, were even more ridiculous: they claimed that any altering of the old Sun Merc building would destroy Phoenix's Chinese history.

If these preservationists are so concerned about their community, why don't they get busy and create a Chinatown for Phoenix?! I guess they would rather behave like typical NIMBYs: protest, fight, and sue, instead of doing anything constructive with their time!

Old 10-14-2008, 12:58 AM

559 posts, read 1,458,863 times
I have often wondered that too, there is Lee Lee's and that surrounding area, but it's not really a China town.

BTW if you do go to Lee Lee's get those bear things like teddy grams but they have chocolate inside of them, they are my favorite. DO NOT GET STRAWBERRY!

Old 10-14-2008, 02:47 AM

6 posts, read 41,316 times
There is the big Chinese Culture center on 48th St? Just south of the 202.

Regards,
Mike
Not really a China Town though.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:34 AM

2,757 posts, read 7,377,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I've also wondered why there isn't some kind of village or district for the Asian/Chinese community in Phoenix. The fact that a group of Chinese preservationists killed the W Hotel project downtown was maddening enough! Their reasons for their opposition, and the lawsuit that followed, were even more ridiculous: they claimed that any altering of the old Sun Merc building would destroy Phoenix's Chinese history.

If these preservationists are so concerned about their community, why don't they get busy and create a Chinatown for Phoenix?! I guess they would rather behave like typical NIMBYs: protest, fight, and sue, instead of doing anything constructive with their time!
The Sun Merc building is one of the last vestiges of Phoenix's historic Chinatown. The preservationists you love to hate were trying to keep that heritage alive. I'm therefore puzzled by your logic. You want people to "get busy and create a Chinatown for Phoenix," but you resort to name-calling when they try to preserve the heritage of the city's original Chinatown.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:44 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,042,760 times
Most of the people around Lee Lee's are Korean not Chinese. That might be the reason. There are Korean businesses surrounding Lee's as well and a Korean News paper. Lee's is sort of a "world" market. Not a Chinese market. They do have 2 isles dedicated to Chinese products though. Japanese, Korean, vietnamese, they are all very different, with different languages, food and traditions.
Maybe we should promote a "Asian" town. Then everyone from Asia could participate.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:07 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,224,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homlish560 View Post
Noticing quite a few Asian people live here, so wondering why there's no Chinatown here. Or is there one that I'm not aware of?

I know about Chinese cultural center, but I'm talking about an actual section of town where you can find all-Asian resturants, groceries, and other stores.
Which sounds like.... the Chinese Cultural Center on 44th st & 202. Have you ever been there? And you say that's not an "actual section of town"? What, so I'm only imagining that place exists? Think outside the box for a little-- not every city is built along the same urban configuration as San Francisco.

Old 10-14-2008, 01:19 PM

8,020 posts, read 12,165,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbear View Post
The Sun Merc building is one of the last vestiges of Phoenix's historic Chinatown. The preservationists you love to hate were trying to keep that heritage alive. I'm therefore puzzled by your logic. You want people to "get busy and create a Chinatown for Phoenix," but you resort to name-calling when they try to preserve the heritage of the city's original Chinatown.
Sun Merc is currently an old run down structure that isn't even being used for anything related to Asian/Chinese culture. If the preservationists were so adamant about saving the building, why aren't they doing something useful or constructive with it??? A beautiful 39 story hotel could have been built on the site ... and the Sun Merc building would have still been preserved under the proposal, only with additional floors on top.

The preservationists had to have their own way, so they started a lawsuit & won (unfortunately). So they got their way ... but what are they doing constructively to help or build up the Asian community? Where's Phoenix's Chinatown (besides the cultural center)? If they were truly concerned about preserving the old Sun Merc for Chinese heritage purposes, why don't they get busy and DO something with it ... and perhaps start constructing a Chinatown around it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area