Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 11:25 AM

27,337 posts, read 27,387,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Wow those are very nostalgic!

Looking at the aircraft at Sky Harbor's Old Terminal One, Douglas DC-6, DC-3, and the Lockheed 1049 Constellation, that card was from the early to the mid 1950's.

Up until the mid to late 1960's, the areas surrounding Sky Harbor were all farms.

I too, can remember 'back in the day' when we could walk up to the planes to see our family/friends board up a set of stairs where you would be greeted by the flight attendants. *sigh*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 06:24 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,856,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire View Post
I too, can remember 'back in the day' when we could walk up to the planes to see our family/friends board up a set of stairs where you would be greeted by the flight attendants. *sigh*
The last time I remember boarding a flight from Sky Harbor and using the stairs was in October of 1984, 6 years before Terminal 4 opened, I flew on SouthWest Airlines back then, which used to operate out of old Terminal One.

Personally I don't care for the stairs too much, I like the modern jetways, and you still get greeted by flight attendants as you enter the door of the aircraft, so that hasn't changed.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:40 PM

It's interesting to see traffic going both ways on Central Avenue, it now runs one way from downtown Phoenix, north to McDowell Rd. If I remember correctly, that was done sometime around 1995 or 1996. The streets that run adjacent to Central (1st, 2nd, and 3rd Avenues and Streets) now also run one way, either north or south.

Also, when I went to downtown for lunch on Monday of this week, I walked by the San Carlos Hotel on Monroe, and I saw stars on the sidewalk that have actors' names from the 1930's and 1940's, and their signatures. These were actors/actresses who stayed at the San Carlos hotel, I guess sort of like Hollywood's walk of fame. They must have put those out there in recent years, because I've never seen those there before.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:58 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,937,252 times
Those stars have been there for at least 4 years, they aren't anything new.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:17 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
It's interesting to see traffic going both ways on Central Avenue, it now runs one way from downtown Phoenix, north to McDowell Rd. If I remember correctly, that was done sometime around 1995 or 1996. The streets that run adjacent to Central (1st, 2nd, and 3rd Avenues and Streets) now also run one way, either north or south.

Also, when I went to downtown for lunch on Monday of this week, I walked by the San Carlos Hotel on Monroe, and I saw stars on the sidewalk that have actors' names from the 1930's and 1940's, and their signatures. These were actors/actresses who stayed at the San Carlos hotel, I guess sort of like Hollywood's walk of fame. They must have put those out there in recent years, because I've never seen those there before.

I know what you mean: the tunnel under the railroad tracks carrying Central used to be bi directional judging by the center divider.

Old 10-19-2008, 04:40 PM

One thing I've always wondered about is the name they gave the old hotel - "Westward Ho"... I don't know, the name just sounds too.... sleezy! LOL.. I wonder why they didn't just call it "Westward Hotel"?

The building is no longer a hotel, it's a facility for senior care, and I think it's operated by Hospice. I haven't looked lately, but I think the Wesward Ho sign and insignia at the building's entrance are still there. I know everytime we've gone to a Diamondbacks game with my best friend, and we drove by the building, we'd always joke about the name.

Old 10-19-2008, 05:14 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
I believe it was a play on words from yore when the covered wagons were heading west and the phrase "westward ho" was very common. The hotel people probably picked up on that theme from watching too many western movies.

Old 10-19-2008, 07:54 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
I believe it was a play on words from yore when the covered wagons were heading west and the phrase "westward ho" was very common. The hotel people probably picked up on that theme from watching too many western movies.
I tend to agree and 'ho' may originally be a contraction from 'ahoy' as in ships ahoy.

The Valley Ho is still extant on 68th St here in Scottsdale.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:50 AM

23 posts, read 108,369 times
I am in love with the vintage Sky Harbor and Union Station pictures! Thank you for sharing these.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:20 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,077,414 times
Wow, I wonder how many of those buildings had the new Swamp coolers. Phoenix had no air condition until the 40's swamp cooler came out. Most people still didn't have one yet. My mom use to sleep outside in the summer wrapped in wet sheets. Imagine that bed time routine with your kids? YIKES!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area