Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 12:59 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolina View Post
I appreciate the replies. I would be living in a house with the owner. It's an older one, built around the 50s. She sent pics of the house and neighborhood and it looks nice enough. I'd be working in Avondale, but don't think I want to live on the outskirts of Phoenix. I like being in the city, or at least close to everything. And I guess when I say everything, I mean, shopping, culture, restaurants, night life, etc. I'm single and in my early 30s, so I would like to be in a more central location. Another question: what time does rush hour start in the morning?

Thanks again! If anyone wants to share any other info with me, I'd be happy to hear.
Working in AVONDALE and living at 42nd and Thomas? LONG commute. You will be going in the opposite direction of the heaviest traffic in the morning, but you will be in traffic on the way home. Rush hour is more like rush HOURS. With so many on flexible schedules, traffic starts picking up before 630 AM and can last until 830, then afternoon traffic picks up after 230 or 3 in the afternoon and lasts until 630 or 7. These figures vary a little depending on the part of town, but it can be a grind.

EDIT: I see you are here now, so you know how the traffic works.

Shopping, culture, restaurants???? Not much in the immediate area you will be living in, unless you are talking Target and Wal-Mart and chain restaurants. (there are a few exceptions).

Where you are living is not really "Arcadia" to those of us who have been here a long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 01:06 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,254,574 times
Arcadia is basically a district situated in the eastern section of Phoenix. It's an older area which tends to have streets & homes that are kept up very well. Basically, it has always had a reputation of being a relatively quiet area ... so you're not going to find a heck of a lot as far as culture, nightlife, etc. It's not downtown Phoenix, Tempe, or Scottsdale. However, it's more or less a suburban area within close proximity to more urban sections of Phoenix ... so commuting to places that are more centrally located isn't too much of an issue.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:35 PM

919 posts, read 3,394,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Arcadia is basically a district situated in the eastern section of Phoenix. It's an older area which tends to have streets & homes that are kept up very well. Basically, it has always had a reputation of being a relatively quiet area ... so you're not going to find a heck of a lot as far as culture, nightlife, etc. It's not downtown Phoenix, Tempe, or Scottsdale. However, it's more or less a suburban area within close proximity to more urban sections of Phoenix ... so commuting to places that are more centrally located isn't too much of an issue.
I like some of the nightlife spots... Postino for vino, The Vig draws a smart crowd, Black Forest Mill for big, German beers and an assortment of pretty good sports bars. Not a club scene for sure, but Arcadia has a few good places to go out with friends and actually enjoy conversations.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:16 AM

1,942 posts, read 4,568,295 times
Night life? Arcadia is not really far from Fashion Square and old town Scottsdale where you can find watering holes and other night spots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joninaz View Post
I like some of the nightlife spots... Postino for vino, The Vig draws a smart crowd, Black Forest Mill for big, German beers and an assortment of pretty good sports bars. Not a club scene for sure, but Arcadia has a few good places to go out with friends and actually enjoy conversations.

Old 12-31-2008, 07:38 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,254,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Roark View Post
Night life? Arcadia is not really far from Fashion Square and old town Scottsdale where you can find watering holes and other night spots.
Arcadia is, for the most part, a very nice section that is situated in an ideal spot. It's not too far from downtown Phoenix or the Central Corridor ... and within a few miles of Scottsdale. It has a suburban feel, but not the cookie cutter house / rock lawn / WalMart Super Center suburban feel you might expect.

The best part of Arcadia is the 44th Street/Camelback intersection, and the neighborhoods to the east. Take a drive along Lafayette Blvd., and you'll see what I mean.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:48 AM

725 posts, read 2,321,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Arcadia is, for the most part, a very nice section that is situated in an ideal spot. It's not too far from downtown Phoenix or the Central Corridor ... and within a few miles of Scottsdale. It has a suburban feel, but not the cookie cutter house / rock lawn / WalMart Super Center suburban feel you might expect.

The best part of Arcadia is the 44th Street/Camelback intersection, and the neighborhoods to the east. Take a drive along Lafayette Blvd., and you'll see what I mean.
Yeah, it's beautiful through there.

Lights, camera, PICTURES------------

Old 01-07-2009, 09:13 AM

The lovely thing about the drive along Lafayette, all the way from 44th to 68th, is that there have been few, if any, of the teardowns and rebuilds that you can see on Exeter and some of the cul de sac streets to the north. It looks just as it did in the 50's and 60's when I lived there as a child, the only difference is the new cars in the driveway. I still love to take that drive.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:36 PM

178 posts, read 601,725 times
Its funny to me that people are still chiming in with their opinions about Arcadia. Hey people...the person who posted the original note has already moved here... and she is happy! Original poster- congrats!

Old 01-08-2009, 09:25 AM

I realize that, but the info might be useful for others reading here, as well.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:35 AM

725 posts, read 2,321,513 times
Posting pics is encouraged too.

Attractive visuals of a particular section can give extra encouragement to the potential newbies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area