Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 02:02 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,918,464 times

Advertisements

While most of my experiences with Mormons have been positive, some of them are very weird and they can make you feel uncomfortable if you have to work with or spend time with them. My neighbor, who is Mormon, tells me that many of them move to the Phoenix area from very small, majority LDS towns and that they are in some ways like time travelers or aliens, perpetually dazed and confused by the world around them.

As far as them bothering you, just don't answer the door, it is not like they are hard to spot. One warning though, if you do choose to talk to the door to door type, tell them very firmly that you are not interested. They are trained to engage in small talk, take note of your hobbies and exploit any possibility to share their message. If you are not firm in your refusal, they will continue to bother you until you are, after that they will leave you alone. I have never found them pushy or impolite, but they can be as persistent as a dog on a bone if you are not 100% clear that you are not interested.

I agree with the posters that non-LDS children will have a very difficult time at school and making friends in a majority LDS area. They are also quite open about discriminatory practices in hiring and promoting LDS vs non, particularly in small family ran businesses.

I would have to say that overall it is not bad to live near or in an LDS dominated community or neighborhood, but you will have to deal with some degree of social isolation and feelings of not fitting in. I think it would be very similar to a gentile living in an Orthodox Jewish community or heavily Muslim influenced society. You will not feel overt discrimination, but you will not ever be fully accepted either.

Old 12-04-2007, 05:36 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
[quote=Sco;2165920]While most of my experiences with Mormons have been positive, some of them are very weird and they can make you feel uncomfortable if you have to work with or spend time with them. My neighbor, who is Mormon, tells me that many of them move to the Phoenix area from very small, majority LDS towns and that they are in some ways like time travelers or aliens, perpetually dazed and confused by the world around them.

I am one of those coming to the Phoenix area from a small town. There are only 182,000 people where I am from on the coast of Southern California. That is very small compared to the Los Angeles area where quite a few Mormons live. Never heard of any of them acting dazed or confused though. Does Mit Romney look dazed and confused to you? How about Mr Reid the Senate Majority Leader, does he look dazed and confused to you? Does Donny and Marie Osmond look dazed and confused to you? That is a new one on me. How about Jon Huntsmen Does he look dazed and confused also? Maybe he built his billion dollar business by acting dazed and confused.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:15 AM
Sco

[quote=SOON2BNSURPRISE;2167980]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
While most of my experiences with Mormons have been positive, some of them are very weird and they can make you feel uncomfortable if you have to work with or spend time with them. My neighbor, who is Mormon, tells me that many of them move to the Phoenix area from very small, majority LDS towns and that they are in some ways like time travelers or aliens, perpetually dazed and confused by the world around them.

I am one of those coming to the Phoenix area from a small town. There are only 182,000 people where I am from on the coast of Southern California. That is very small compared to the Los Angeles area where quite a few Mormons live. Never heard of any of them acting dazed or confused though. Does Mit Romney look dazed and confused to you? How about Mr Reid the Senate Majority Leader, does he look dazed and confused to you? Does Donny and Marie Osmond look dazed and confused to you? That is a new one on me. How about Jon Huntsmen Does he look dazed and confused also? Maybe he built his billion dollar business by acting dazed and confused.
182K is not a small town. I am talking about the ones that have never met or even seen a person that is not LDS in their lives. You are a moron.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:07 AM

[quote=Sco;2172298]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post

182K is not a small town. I am talking about the ones that have never met or even seen a person that is not LDS in their lives. You are a moron.

I think that your facts are limited to what you want to see. This is a really large world with members of the Mormon Church resding in 160 different nations. This isn't some backwater religion that is only in Utah, Arizona and other western states. You made the point of saying that the Mormons that you see in the Phoenix area come from small all Mormon towns. That may be true, but they also come from every other kind of city, country, town, or state. In California, 182,000 is small. Everything is relative to where you live.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:15 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
Why do you keep answering the door to them? I didn't mind living next to Mormons but I just didn't answer the door every afternoon they came around.
I really wouldn't have any problem living around them as they're usually decent people. Ringing my bell for no reason, though, would be a HUGE problem! I'm a bit worried I haven't seen "no solicitation" signs in my future neighborhood... That seemed to help in another place I used to live and was kinda conveniently located for this kind of annoyance.

And I don't care if they're Mormons, Jehovah's witnesses, salesmen... to me they all fall into the same category - horse flies!

Why can't people learn to live and let live?!

Last edited by sierraAZ; 12-05-2007 at 09:16 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 12-05-2007, 10:43 AM
Sco

[quote=SOON2BNSURPRISE;2172812]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post

I think that your facts are limited to what you want to see. This is a really large world with members of the Mormon Church resding in 160 different nations. This isn't some backwater religion that is only in Utah, Arizona and other western states. You made the point of saying that the Mormons that you see in the Phoenix area come from small all Mormon towns. That may be true, but they also come from every other kind of city, country, town, or state. In California, 182,000 is small. Everything is relative to where you live.
No I made the point that some of them come from backwater Utah, Arizona, Idaho, etc. To act like there are not some Mormons that have moved to the Phoenix area after living most of their lives sheltered in LDS enclaves is to deny reality. My point stands that most Mormons are decent, good people and no different than anyone else, but there are also a certain proportion of them that have such limited exposure to the non LDS world that they can be uncomfortable for people to be around. Even among the more mainstream, cosmopolitan LDS community it is not uncommon to find Mormons that refuse to associate or allow their children to associate with non LDS people.

Old 12-05-2007, 11:58 AM

[quote=Sco;2173751]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post

No I made the point that some of them come from backwater Utah, Arizona, Idaho, etc. To act like there are not some Mormons that have moved to the Phoenix area after living most of their lives sheltered in LDS enclaves is to deny reality. My point stands that most Mormons are decent, good people and no different than anyone else, but there are also a certain proportion of them that have such limited exposure to the non LDS world that they can be uncomfortable for people to be around. Even among the more mainstream, cosmopolitan LDS community it is not uncommon to find Mormons that refuse to associate or allow their children to associate with non LDS people.

Point taken. My appologies for the misunderstanding. I just wanted everyone to know that the Mormon Church has really grown and can be found everywhere. Not just here in the west but throughout the nation and the world. You are correct, there are some very sheltered members of the church that just can't seem to function outside there reality. You would think that would change with the members of there families sending there kids on missions. Leaving for 2 years and then going away to school for 4 or more years, you would think that the sheltered attitude would end. My parents raised us in California, so I may have a different perspective than some.

Old 02-23-2008, 07:02 AM

1 posts, read 3,219 times
Default come on!

If you are planning to move to the Gilbert, Chandler, Mesa areas, you can see that they have the same problems that everybody else does. It is too bad that we can't all just get along and live together regardless of race, religion, or social status. I live in Gilbert and find it a fabulous place to live. My kids love school, we love our jobs, and we have great neighbors...let's see...4 Catholics fams., 5 Mormon fams., 3 Born Again fams., and the rest nothing fams. We all seem to get along and our kids ALL play with each other.

The one thing that I have noticed out here is that we are not so much bothered by the Mormons (in fact, they are some of our best neighbors), but we are tired of hearing from these angry, threatened Evangelical Christians. For some reason, they are so interested in dirting on and bagging on the Mormons. While the Mormons are out living their lives and preaching whatever it is they preach, these Evangelicals seem to just consume their own lives with hating Mormons. I don't get it. I think it is all about money...maybe the Mormons are taking from their congregations.

Anyway, if you want to live in a great place. Move to Gilbert. Like a previous comment said, there are FAR worse things to worry about than the Mormons. In fact, they are one of the biggest reasons that we stay in our neighborhood now...clean, friendly, service oriented. Good luck!

Old 02-27-2008, 09:06 PM

14 posts, read 41,646 times
Default Mormons.

[quote=Belladonna35;369856]Hi, we will be moving in June to either east Mesa, Chandler or Gilbert my friend told me there are a lot of mormons in these places, What kind of people are these mormons? I am strictly agnostic and I don't appreciate people trying to push religion on me or my family. Are they pushy?[/qu
Hi , I would urge you not to make a decision based on that. They are not pushy, i've never had one knock on my door. I'm catholic and believe me , we do not like other religions pushed on us, we keep to ourselves. I've never known Mormons before I moved here 2 years ago, they are extremely nice people, my Boss is Mormon and he is the best Boss i've ever had. He's a Doctor, many Doctors are Mormon, many highly educated and professionals are Mormon.Hope this helps.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:03 AM

611 posts, read 2,307,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by experiencedmom View Post
If you are planning to move to the Gilbert, Chandler, Mesa areas, you can see that they have the same problems that everybody else does. It is too bad that we can't all just get along and live together regardless of race, religion, or social status. I live in Gilbert and find it a fabulous place to live. My kids love school, we love our jobs, and we have great neighbors...let's see...4 Catholics fams., 5 Mormon fams., 3 Born Again fams., and the rest nothing fams. We all seem to get along and our kids ALL play with each other.

The one thing that I have noticed out here is that we are not so much bothered by the Mormons (in fact, they are some of our best neighbors), but we are tired of hearing from these angry, threatened Evangelical Christians. For some reason, they are so interested in dirting on and bagging on the Mormons. While the Mormons are out living their lives and preaching whatever it is they preach, these Evangelicals seem to just consume their own lives with hating Mormons. I don't get it. I think it is all about money...maybe the Mormons are taking from their congregations.

Anyway, if you want to live in a great place. Move to Gilbert. Like a previous comment said, there are FAR worse things to worry about than the Mormons. In fact, they are one of the biggest reasons that we stay in our neighborhood now...clean, friendly, service oriented. Good luck!
I haven't seen a Christian vs Mormon issue here in the NW valley of the Phoenix area. Everyone seems to get along, regardless of religion. Are you saying that there is a Christian vs Mormon issue in Gilbert, Chandler, and Mesa?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area