U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 05:23 PM

2 posts, read 18,362 times

Advertisements

LOL....I love it the mormons. I've lived in the East Valley mostly Gilbert since 1986 or so. I moved here when I was little. I went to school with 80-85 percent of the kiddos being mormons. My graduating class was about 80 percent mormons. Honestly, they don't steal from you and won't beat you up or anything but they won't really be your friend either. The mormons that go to church every sunday for 4 hours and won't drink coke, don't usually hang out with the non-mormons.
Last weekend I went out walking and was just in a good stride when the missionary bikers came up to bug me. I had to take out my ear phones and everything to listen to their little speech.
Honestly, I don't care if the mormons live here but I do find them annoying. I stay pleasant and say hello but that's where it ends.

I think that Mesa and Chandler are less mormon dominated than Gilbert. Mesa is going through a huge growth in the Hispanic population. I think you should move to wherever you want. Be happy with who you are and ignore the guys on the mountain bikes.

Old 03-07-2007, 04:06 PM

17 posts, read 90,512 times
Mormons are only a problem when you've just gotten to sleep in a little on a Sat morning when you hear a knock at your door. You wonder who could be at my door at 9:00AM. So you answer in your finest pajama wear, with coffee not yet drank in hand, only to find out that no-you haven't won the Ed McMan sweepstakes it's just the Mormon boy gang inviting you to a church that calls itself the church of Jesus Christ but doesn't really believe in Him. He was just the brother of Satan (comforting isn't it) .
Or maybe its every neighbor on the freakin block who has kids, and you have kids,so let your kids play together, only for them to tell your kid that they were brothers and sisters before you were born and whatever crazy cultish crap that comes out of their innocent little mouths. Don't forget their Mommy and Daddy just had scripture lesson that morning with them so it's fresh on their mind to share with the world.
So the answer to your question: Are they bothersom, pushy, or attempting to overtake the whole eastern portion of the Mesa, Chandler, Gilbert, Queen Creek, and Apache Junction by planting a church in every neighborhood. NAAAA

Old 03-11-2007, 05:31 PM

13 posts, read 50,644 times
I'm as atheistic as it gets, and disagree fundamentally with tenets of Mormonism. But, if you want to stereotype, the Mormons I grew up around (in AZ) were - to a fault - kind, polite, family-oriented, and clean living. Missionaries don't bother me. They are just trying to do the work they feel is intended for them, and are far more polite than any other type of solicitor coming to your door.

I guess the only thing you might want to consider, as one other poster mentioned, is that a heavily Mormon constituent (as with any other traditional religious presence) will mean a more politically conservative atmosphere which may or may not concern you.

Old 03-11-2007, 09:46 PM

18 posts, read 59,914 times
I am LDS. Church is only 3 hours. I do drink coke sometimes. It is okay. We are family oriented and we do not push our beliefs on the unwilling. I do live in Mesa and will be moving to somewhere that does not look like little Mexico. If you move to Mesa (make it really east). Gilbert and Higley area would be a good area.

Old 03-11-2007, 10:35 PM

56 posts, read 209,317 times
Wink mormons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belladonna35 View Post
Hi, we will be moving in June to either east Mesa, Chandler or Gilbert my friend told me there are a lot of mormons in these places, What kind of people are these mormons? I am strictly agnostic and I don't appreciate people trying to push religion on me or my family. Are they pushy?

I generally have not met many mormons. I have lived in AZ for about 10 +++ years. But then, the last few years, I heard about how many mormons are living in Sedona, and experienced myself, how they treated me as a woman. But then, I know mormons they have hotels in mesa and many kids, and you would never think they are mormons. These people I know, they are very laid back and into yoga etc. Mesa does have lots of mormons and some nice residential areas (depends, more east mesa). I would not worry about it. These mormons with polygamy are more by the utha border, colorado city.
Maybe you are having second thoughts, because az has its pitfalls.....

Old 03-11-2007, 11:49 PM

Location: Currently Phoenix, formerly lived in Nevada, Colorado, Alaska
14 posts, read 60,173 times
Don't worry too much about the LDS, worry about your car getting vandalized or stolen. worry about getting mugged outside of the hardware store. worry about your kids being assulted in school. You can always tell the LDS "No Thank You" or "Go Away" but the Illegals/Mexicans? "No Habla Inglish"

If you do move here get your CCR and a good car alarm.

Just a little rant from a Arizona native. Good Luck

Old 03-12-2007, 01:55 AM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 3,762,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azgrum View Post
I am LDS. Church is only 3 hours. I do drink coke sometimes. It is okay. We are family oriented and we do not push our beliefs on the unwilling. I do live in Mesa and will be moving to somewhere that does not look like little Mexico. If you move to Mesa (make it really east). Gilbert and Higley area would be a good area.
I am not LDS, but several of my best friends are. Mormons are like most people on this planet; some are very good people, some are not. The kids on their missions that I've talked to were polite, respectful and not at all pushy. All Mormons that I know are family oriented and personally, I don't see how that can be a bad thing.

But going without coffee for even a few hours let alone never drinking it, that's beyond my comprehension!

Old 03-17-2007, 11:06 PM

5 posts, read 14,466 times
I just wanted to post on this topic after reading some of the responses. A few have been misleading if not totally wrong about the religion. I really don't think you need to worry about the mormons. It's not a cult , and the people who practice polygamy are a different faith. If you are looking for nice, family oriented, polite people to live by, then you will be happy here. Hope all goes well with your move!

Old 03-23-2007, 07:19 PM

17 posts, read 90,512 times
In response to jolicef: That the polygamists are a different faith, is what all you Mormons say about them because they make you look bad. Funny it's like saying the terrorists aren't Muslim. The polygamists are following EXACTLY what your CULT leader prescribes. Joseph Smith had how many wives??? And according to the definition of cult in the dictionary is: A devotion to a person, by a body of admirers. Joseph Smith made up your folly and you follow him. Christians follow Jesus Christ who is God not a person only. And to have their Kool-Aid drinking ideas spreading like wild fire to people in the whole East Valley does concern me. Everything that happens in our neighborhoods and on every street corner does affect us to some degree. I don't know to each his own about what's more of a concern. Some have said that are harmless because they are family orientated, law abiding, good citizens...which I can't deny, most are, and make even some of the best Christians look bad. But what they believe in is a lie and will lead them and all that follow it pretty much straight to Hell. So do I care if I'm surrounded by them and they're teaching their lies to my kids and friends and family and neighbors....yes I do care and it does bother me, and it should bother anyone out their who doesn't want the ones they love infected by them.

Old 03-23-2007, 08:17 PM
jco

2,106 posts, read 4,619,352 times
Quote:
I am strictly agnostic and I don't appreciate people trying to push religion on me or my family. Are they pushy?
Well, if you move there, you're pretty much guarenteed to have them come to your door at some point. In my opinion, they are pushy... relentless might be a better word.

I'm not LDS by any means, but I do have to point out how ironic it is that people want to move into LDS neighborhoods because of the low crime, nice communities, and great schools, but they don't want to associate with the people that have the biggest influence on the area being so pleasant. I don't agree with what they believe myself, but LDS donate a lot of money to the public school system, keep their neighborhoods clean and attractive, are involved in their communities, and are generally very friendly people.

I guess if you want to enjoy the pleasant atmosphere that usually follows them, it will come at a cost!

Kat 7 - I agree with most of what you've said. I have found that most LDS followers don't even know that their church documents and core doctrines have changed over the years depending on the circumstances they find themselves in. It's hard to believe it's absolute truth when it isn't absolute, isn't it?

Last edited by jco; 03-23-2007 at 08:24 PM.. Reason: added the last part on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area