U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 05:46 PM

436 posts, read 718,128 times
Default Goodyear vs. Chandler

I just came back from a visit to the Phoenix area to look at some areas in Goodyear. Somehow, when I booked our hotel in Chandler, I wasn't aware how far Chandler was from Goodyear. ( I couldn't find any hotel in Goodyear online that I liked the reviews) Anyway, since we stayed in Chandler we looked around and even went to an open house and really liked the area.

So which area is best for schools, families, low crime, etc. My husband will be working downtown Phoenix (not sure where yet) so I'm not really concerned about travelling time, I just want a nice community to live in.

Any opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 09:07 AM

33 posts, read 89,740 times
HI,

Here is the web site for the AZ of Education. Arizona Department of Education Home Page

You can find the report card for schools.

I hope that helps,
Stephen Ledford

Old 10-27-2008, 01:20 AM

1,036 posts, read 1,998,881 times
Chandler and Goodyear, I think, are almost equals. Goodyear is the west side's Chandler, and so on..

That said, Goodyear is currently much smaller than Chandler. (Though it IS going to grow)
Chandler has the better schools, and is far more established.
Crime is probably a bit less in Goodyear, being smaller.
Chandler is closer to the big east valley malls, and shopping.
Goodyear is closer to certain outdoor activities, and sports venues.

Also, the commute would probably be easier from Goodyear, as it's more direct.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:35 AM

6,066 posts, read 7,720,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamom1 View Post
I just came back from a visit to the Phoenix area to look at some areas in Goodyear. Somehow, when I booked our hotel in Chandler, I wasn't aware how far Chandler was from Goodyear. ( I couldn't find any hotel in Goodyear online that I liked the reviews) Anyway, since we stayed in Chandler we looked around and even went to an open house and really liked the area.

So which area is best for schools, families, low crime, etc. My husband will be working downtown Phoenix (not sure where yet) so I'm not really concerned about travelling time, I just want a nice community to live in.

Any opinions?
Chandler is a great area with some really good schools. It's close to the Chandler Fashion Mall that is a very popular destination for shopping and dining.

The commute to downtown Phoenix in comparison of Goodyear and Chandler may depend on where in Chandler you buy. In the 85286 zip code you're closer to the south 202 loop that gets you to the 101 or 10 faster. In the 85248 zip code just to the south of 85286, the commute is naturally longer. There are great properties in both zip codes. Just as a disclosure, I own one in 85286 near the 202 that is currently on the market. But I like both zip code areas.

If driving toward the sun is a concern to you, then that may be a factor as from Goodyear you are driving into the sun in both directions during the commute. It's something you should check out during the time that you would be driving to and from work.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:06 AM

674 posts, read 1,428,536 times
I'd take Chandler over Goodyear.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:29 AM

1 posts, read 2,910 times
Default Goodyear vs Chandler

I have lived in the Phoenix area since 1981. I always lived on the east side of town, Mesa, Chandler, Ahwatukee and I now live in Gilbert. I think Chandler is a great area to raise a family.

I have a couple of websites that maybe useful:
Crime Statistics [URL="http://www.faxnet1.org"]www.faxnet1.org[/URL]
Schools [URL="http://www.ade.state.az.us"]www.ade.state.az.us[/URL]
City Profile Report [URL="http://www.homefair.com/find_a_place/cityprofile/"]www.homefair.com/find_a_place/cityprofile/[/URL] Information on demographics, finances and other factors drawn from an array of sources.

You could look up Goodyear and Chandler and on these sites and see what you think.

Feel Free to call me with any questions,
Sue Henstein
[EMAIL="Sue@DevineProperties.com"]Sue@DevineProperties.com[/EMAIL]
480-540-2836

Old 10-27-2008, 05:45 PM

436 posts, read 718,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
It's close to the Chandler Fashion Mall that is a very popular destination for shopping and dining.
Is this an indoor mall? Are there any indoor malls? I wasn't able to find any indoor malls in the Phoenix area. Granted, I was only there a few days so I obviously didn't see everything but even my GPS couldn't find me anything.

Old 10-27-2008, 06:05 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,442,319 times
Quote:
Is this an indoor mall? Are there any indoor malls? I wasn't able to find any indoor malls in the Phoenix area. Granted, I was only there a few days so I obviously didn't see everything but even my GPS couldn't find me anything.
In the Phoenix metro area, the malls I know of that are indoor are Chandler Fashion Mall (chandler), Arizona Mills Mall (tempe I think?), Superstition Springs Mall (mesa), and Fiesta Mall (mesa).

In fact, the only mall that I know of that ISN'T indoors is San Tan Mall (gilbert).

Old 10-27-2008, 09:29 PM

8,156 posts, read 8,892,358 times
most malls are indoors - the outdoor mall thing is a newer trend - i can really only think of San Tan, desert ridge and when goodyears gets built, that the design as well

Old 10-28-2008, 07:25 AM

6,066 posts, read 7,720,581 times
Quote:
Yes it's inside, and as others pointed out, most of the malls are inside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area