Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 04:03 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,217,887 times

Advertisements

I retired from the US Air Force at Luke AFB in Glendale, and elected to remain here as my wife was born and raised here. I guess you could say that I ended up in Phoenix by default (I'm originally from Tennessee).

I found a decent job immediately upon retirement and we live in a fairly nice neighborhood (actually not far from base). So I really can't complain. And thank God that I don't have to fight the rush hour traffic on I-10 or I-17.

Old 09-27-2006, 02:09 PM

3 posts, read 14,099 times
I actually registered just so I could post here. I hate reading all the negativity people have on my 'home town'. I was born in Phoenix, when it was still "small" but have lived most of my life in Central AZ. I wouldn't live in Phoenix again because it's too big, too busy, too much of everything! But that doesn't mean I like to hear people talk trash about the place.

As far as people complaining about bad drivers and rude people? I'd like to remind people that all those horrible people moved here from SOMEPLACE ELSE. They brought their driving habits and attitudes with them. Traffic is bad, yes, and they are doing their best to keep up with it by adding more and more freeways. But it's nowhere near as bad as traffic I've encountered in L.A. and other places.

Honestly? I wish all the people who WANT to leave here would. And I wish I could discourage a whole lot of other people from moving here. I tell them the worst I can think of but, still, they come. And then they complain. Oh well.

Old 09-28-2006, 07:19 AM

57 posts, read 71,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZNative View Post
I actually registered just so I could post here. I hate reading all the negativity people have on my 'home town'. I was born in Phoenix, when it was still "small" but have lived most of my life in Central AZ. I wouldn't live in Phoenix again because it's too big, too busy, too much of everything! But that doesn't mean I like to hear people talk trash about the place.

As far as people complaining about bad drivers and rude people? I'd like to remind people that all those horrible people moved here from SOMEPLACE ELSE. They brought their driving habits and attitudes with them. Traffic is bad, yes, and they are doing their best to keep up with it by adding more and more freeways. But it's nowhere near as bad as traffic I've encountered in L.A. and other places.

Honestly? I wish all the people who WANT to leave here would. And I wish I could discourage a whole lot of other people from moving here. I tell them the worst I can think of but, still, they come. And then they complain. Oh well.
What's wrong with talking badly about Phoenix in a forum such as this? This is the medium for such discussion I would have thought. The place is a dump, and I agree with you that people should leave and not move there.

I have left Phoenix thank goodness after 9 miserable months in that crime and drug infested, dusty, boring, ugly, polluted hole, so I feel that I have the right and the experience to share my views and to also try to discourage people from making the mistake of moving there.

Old 09-28-2006, 07:46 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieGirl View Post
What's wrong with talking badly about Phoenix in a forum such as this? This is the medium for such discussion I would have thought. The place is a dump, and I agree with you that people should leave and not move there.

I have left Phoenix thank goodness after 9 miserable months in that crime and drug infested, dusty, boring, ugly, polluted hole, so I feel that I have the right and the experience to share my views and to also try to discourage people from making the mistake of moving there.
People come here for information understanding there are differences in taste and experience. I've only been on the forums a couple of days and you have screwed up just about every question people, in good faith, have asked about the Phoenix area. You jump in over and over again with your ignorant (you have been in Phx a WHOLE 9 months!) prattle and then engage everyone who makes even a mildly positive comment in an argument. That's not discussion. That is badgering, belligerant, and disruptive posting. I, for one, wish the moderators would boot you from this website.

Old 09-28-2006, 08:25 AM

113 posts, read 524,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
People come here for information understanding there are differences in taste and experience. I've only been on the forums a couple of days and you have screwed up just about every question people, in good faith, have asked about the Phoenix area. You jump in over and over again with your ignorant (you have been in Phx a WHOLE 9 months!) prattle and then engage everyone who makes even a mildly positive comment in an argument. That's not discussion. That is badgering, belligerant, and disruptive posting. I, for one, wish the moderators would boot you from this website.
Thank you Ponderosa. Very well said.

Old 09-28-2006, 09:27 AM

Quote:
I'm sorry, but my post was not directed toward you, and if you choose to look again, I was not answering a question that was asked in good faith, but I was adding to a comment that someone else had left. Are you that ignorant?

I have never seen you or conversed with you before, so if you have a direct issue with me, then you could have sent me a private message. My comments are based on personal experience, statistics, and conversing with people that live in the Phoenix metro area. I have only engaged in an argument with one poster whom decided to attack me over my views, so stop your exaggerating.

I have not abused other members unless they have done that to me first as you did by directing the word 'ignorant' toward me, and for that I hope that you are booted from this message board. I have not used any profanities either, and if you don't like my description of Phoenix, then you don't have to read either. Pull your bloody head in.

Old 09-28-2006, 09:36 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,668,382 times
Quote:

Well said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-28-2006, 09:42 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Aussie Girl, I didn't mean "ignorant" in the derogatory definition. I meant that you have only 9 months in the area if I read your messages correctly, and I don't think that gives one enough exposure or experience in the area to have meaningful knowledge about the place. You've got first impressions, for sure; but you are not the expert you may believe yourself to be.

Old 09-28-2006, 09:48 AM

113 posts, read 524,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieGirl View Post
I have only engaged in an argument with one poster whom decided to attack me over my views, so stop your exaggerating.
I have not abused other members unless they have done that to me first as you did by directing the word 'ignorant' toward me, and for that I hope that you are booted from this message board. I have not used any profanities either, and if you don't like my description of Phoenix, then you don't have to read either. Pull your bloody head in.
Her post was not exaggerated at all. She is exactly right. You attack everyone that has even a mild positive view about Phoenix as she states, and turn it into ranting arguments. You are always right and never wrong. You are entitled to your views and opinions, but it is the words you use and the way you present yourself to others when you post. Its as if your looking down on them and even personally flaming them for having views other than yours.

The "phoenix area crime..." thread was a prime example. Now its locked, and should be binned too, so please, lets not turn this thread into a mirror of that one.

Old 09-28-2006, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Aussie Girl, I didn't mean "ignorant" in the derogatory definition. I meant that you have only 9 months in the area if I read your messages correctly, and I don't think that gives one enough exposure or experience in the area to have meaningful knowledge about the place. You've got first impressions, for sure; but you are not the expert you may believe yourself to be.
Your whole objective was to flame another poster, and as I had said, my post was not directed toward you, nor have I even seen you before. If you had a personal issue with me, then you could have sent a personal message, or you could have chosen to ignore me since I had not broken any rules or guidelines.

The only people that take offence are the people that disagree with my view, and if they do, then that is no worries, but posters should not get personal with me because of that. I also feel that before you start trouble with me, that you go back through all of the posts in the thread to see whom said what, and you will then find that I was not the person that started any negative comments toward any poster, but the person that responded to personal criticism toward me.

You are not being objective because you probably like where you live, but I can tell you right now, nine months was more than long enough to learn all of the facts that I discovered about Phoenix. Crikey, one month was enough actually! I have also met many people that have been in Phoenix for much longer than I was that completely agree with my observations too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area