Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 11:49 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcorriga View Post
Is this true that you can speed a little if you can prove it was reasonable? Do you have a link or anything I can read? I got a photo radar ticket for going 68 in a 55 on the highway. It was Christmas Eve at 6:15 am and the highway was empty; unfortunately I had to go to work. It never even occurred to me that I was speeding because there was nobody around and no logical reason to go any slower.

Also, the ticket says points will not be assessed to my record, does this
mean my insurance won't know about this at all, even if I pay it?
No, it's not. That "reasonable" limit only applies where there is NO SPEED LIMIT posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 09:39 PM

4 posts, read 6,973 times
my husband got a photo radar in scottsdale the week before thanksgiving 2008. He never recieved a notice in the mail. We knew he got a ticket because some company's had sent us a flyer saying you would get your ticket in the mail soon. To night had a ring at the door and I asked who is it and they said I am a officer of the court does (my husband name) live at this address ,I did not say anything and turned the porch light out and she stayed there for about 15min. soon after she left I went and looked on the porch thinking maybe she left some papers. No papers.
Does anyone know or have had this happen to them. Will they come back??

Old 01-13-2009, 08:34 PM

41 posts, read 162,217 times
What about traffic school? Do I have to go there to clear any point? In the letter it says "the notice of violation is not subject to dismissal due to denfensive driving school attendance". How do I understand this sentence? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
No points. No insurance implications.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:44 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsuper View Post
What about traffic school? Do I have to go there to clear any point? In the letter it says "the notice of violation is not subject to dismissal due to denfensive driving school attendance". How do I understand this sentence? Thanks!
You do not get any points. The law forbids the court from reporting the violation to MVD. No report, no insurance increases, no points. Normally, you can go to traffic school to avoid the points on your license. You can't (and don't need to) with photo tickets The idea is that you are more likely to pay instead of going to court and it would take a huge staff to process all the tickets that they are passing out with this program.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:32 PM

21 posts, read 72,017 times
Default Traffic School

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsuper View Post

Hey Kevin:
So, I am the original person who posted this. And, I ended up sending in my ticket with my husband's name on it b/c I read too many things on the internet and got scared. They resent the ticket in my husband's name and he went to traffic school. It was about 5-6 hours, he went on Sat., and we had to pay the class fee, and it was dismissed. No points. I guess I could have not given out his name and seen what happened, but reading on the internet scared me. It's always better to be safe than sorry!

Old 01-15-2009, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2bgoing View Post
my husband got a photo radar in scottsdale the week before thanksgiving 2008. He never recieved a notice in the mail. We knew he got a ticket because some company's had sent us a flyer saying you would get your ticket in the mail soon. To night had a ring at the door and I asked who is it and they said I am a officer of the court does (my husband name) live at this address ,I did not say anything and turned the porch light out and she stayed there for about 15min. soon after she left I went and looked on the porch thinking maybe she left some papers. No papers.
A girl at my work's sister had this happen to her and they did come back... Have the returned?

Old 01-15-2009, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegirlinaz View Post
I hate how MANY people here are so rude and say "that's what you get for speeding" and "don't ever let anyone drive your car". Everyone does one or the other at some point in their life, period. Don't tell me you have never gone over the speed limit before and act like you are so perfect. I'm not telling everyone to go speed or anything.. I am just saying that you shouldn't be so critical to others.
Thank you the girlinaz! I agree with you 100%!

Old 01-15-2009, 10:38 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,417,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2bgoing View Post
They will come back 1-2 more times, then the ticket will be cleared from your record since it could not be served, I believe it's 90 days after the ticket was issued.

I have gotten 2 tickets in Scottsdale on the 101 and they are no longer on my driving record since I avoided the process server. I have an advantage since I don't live at my legal address too.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:16 AM

919 posts, read 3,395,544 times
I drive around wearing a Janet Napolitano mask.

Apparently they send the tickets to her, but she now has a big stamp marked "IMMUNE - Department of Homeland Security"

It also gets me into various clubs without standing in line or paying a cover. Especially the Goth dance clubs. She rocks!

Old 01-16-2009, 02:02 AM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times
Default The major reason I left Phoenix

I really think the issuance of so many moving violations in Arizona has to do with additional revenue sources for the state, county and city. I once read in a true crime book, the subject of which had to deal with a police officer, that police officers do not like giving out speeding tickets, they generally leave that "dirty work" to the rookies, those just starting out, because police officers go over the speed limit, as they are merely humans as well.

I drove for many years in Minneapolis, before moving to Phoenix, and never got a speeding ticket in all the years I lived there. In Phoenix, I got hit twice in the first year. Here, in Las Vegas, after having moved from Phoenix 13 years ago, I've yet to get a speeding ticket and I oftentimes hit 90 on the freeway on my way to work. And the city streets, with their notoriously high speed limits of 45mph, I haven't gotten a ticket either, and I drive like the rest of the Las Vegans who wouldn't even brake for their mothers crossing the streets, at 60mph. And, now, as the economy sours in Las Vegas, I see more and more people stopped for tickets. Which leads me to believe its, largely, a revenue enhancer for any city.

I haven't even been back to Phoenix since I left there, largely, because of all the stress I'd experience just driving around the Phoenix area, looking over my shoulders, looking here, looking there, vigilantly watching the speedometer, and what kind of vacation is that! Who needs the stress!

I spent a week in Australia, via rental car, back in the late 80's and there was photo radar EVERYWHERE! It was suppose to be a relaxing vacation but that photo radar stressed me out completely. Even got a ticket while there, and the police officer said if I didn't pay it, I couldn't re-enter Australia again until it was paid. I wanted to hug him, say thank-you, thank-you, thank-you, as after a week of that vigilance I wouldn't return there even if you gave me a free air ticket to Sydney!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area