Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2011, 08:53 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,603,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick974 View Post
Gee, 70's on the Columbia River. That would be July, August and maybe into early September. I promise you in November, it will be highs in the low to mid 50's tops, with lows in the high 30's to low 40's and the Columbia Gorge typically is so windy you can hardly stand in one place. There is a good reason sailboarding was invented there.
Let's here what he has to say come January. Snow, wind and very cold temps are what he has to look forward to. He sounds like he just moved there. He won't be singing those praises in a month or two.
I just moved from there last June. I lived there for well over 20 years and even I admit, Oregon is arguably the most beautiful state in the nation. Unfortunately, it's 9 to 10 months of cool to cold weather, almost no sunshine for that period and rain, rain and more rain. Where I lived, we AVERAGED 119 inches of rain per year.
Grey skies for that much of the year gets old far quicker than sunshine and heat. The heat will take it's toll on you over time. Grey skies will get to you in very short order.
That's why I picked sunshine and warmer weather. It was time to go. For me at least.
And that's good for you! I would pick it as well but arguing about the weather is like arguing about two different religions. Its preference, not fact, that was the point of my post not that you should like the cold like them, they sound crazy to me, just that one of these weather threads is on every state forum with the same kind of argument. It gets off topic and twiddles down to hot vs cold, wet vs dry, etc. I don't understand why we people have to DEFEND a preference but we do for some reason. Isn't it just what you like? You like sun, heat and dryness, got that so, why is it too darn hot for ya then?

One of the reasons these threads last so long is people start the "what's better, cold or hot?" convo. Just gets old. This thread says it's "too darn hot here." I expect to come on here and hear why they think it's too darn hot not why you think hot is better than cold, ya know what I mean? It's obviously not too darn hot for you and that is great for you. Start a "hot is better than cold thread" and then I'd expect to hear that. I come on here wanting to know why people think it is too darn hot! Some just like to rejoice about making it through the long summer, stuff like that, it's how some people in states bond. You obviously don't think it's "too darn hot". So why ya on here? To teach a valuable weather lesson? lol
Not that I don't agree, I like hot better than frigid too, just so ya know. Sun wins all the way!

Last edited by PoppySead; 10-17-2011 at 08:57 AM.. Reason: Good gosh, I need coffee before I go a typing, typos abound.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 11:05 AM

464 posts, read 832,444 times
Thumbs up I agree 120% with your entire post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
We had to wonder why AZ does not have a shade tree ordinance in place for large parking lots. Calif had everyone calculating shade and had to have a minimum coverage for landscaped areas vs concrete. Nothing wrong with gravel pathways unless you are in a wheel chair and then you could do path of travel for those issues. I love natural landscape and would love to see more gravel parking lots with lots of shade trees.
...and wish the city developers would incorporate some of those Cali ordinances. It would be beneficial in the long run and I know part of the argument will be the water usage required to do such...but to that I say, "Look to your Californian neighbors and see what it does for them."

And that water argument really doesn't even hold much water since we have so many low-water trees, shrubs and plants available to us in AZ that are native and others that have adapted....so give me a better excuse.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:12 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makeitagreatday View Post
...and wish the city developers would incorporate some of those Cali ordinances. It would be beneficial in the long run and I know part of the argument will be the water usage required to do such...but to that I say, "Look to your Californian neighbors and see what it does for them."

And that water argument really doesn't even hold much water since we have so many low-water trees, shrubs and plants available to us in AZ that are native and others that have adapted....so give me a better excuse.
I don't know that there is an ordinance, but every parking lot from Walmart to the strip malls in my part of town has trees on islands at the end and beginning of each row. I always try to park under one, but so does everyone else. There are boulevard strips with trees that line all the streets of the new subdivisions too.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I don't know that there is an ordinance, but every parking lot from Walmart to the strip malls in my part of town has trees on islands at the end and beginning of each row. I always try to park under one, but so does everyone else. There are boulevard strips with trees that line all the streets of the new subdivisions too.
Hope that others follow in your greenery...

Old 10-17-2011, 04:21 PM

570 posts, read 1,753,198 times
This is just the typical sweltering October heat dragging on! Same as every year. Can't wait for December when the highs finally get under 80!

Old 10-17-2011, 05:16 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,746,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makeitagreatday View Post

Agree that we have plenty of low water shade trees that could be used. Some of the CA energy codes are good ones, some they have taken too far, but that happens with all good ideas. We are still amazed that Low E windows are not a requirement for builders and don't get me started on our lack of insulation in our former home, lol. We just finished a remodel to a 40 year old home and blew in celulose (Green Fiber) 85% recycled insulation on the attic lids and closed cell sprayed foam on the new additions, also put in very good low E windows. Our home stayed cool longer than the other one before having to turn on the AC.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:52 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,060,189 times
IT IS SO FUNNY that I, the OP, initially wrote this in 2008, and now its back again, thanks to someone who didn't look at the date. So, I guess October is NEVER a cool month, right?

Old 10-17-2011, 08:28 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
IT IS SO FUNNY that I, the OP, initially wrote this in 2008, and now its back again, thanks to someone who didn't look at the date. So, I guess October is NEVER a cool month, right?
It can't be never, of course, because the average high is in the 80s for this date. So there must be days cooler than average as well. Just seems that way (always hot). I agree with the poster who implied that we tend to forget about the weather in previous years, complain about the present and project it on the future.

Old 10-18-2011, 04:51 AM

Wink Actually, OP I did indeed notice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
...that your post was 3 YEARS old and noted that it was funny that you could have posted the EXACT same thing here three years later almost to the day....go figure...

Old 10-18-2011, 07:04 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,982,276 times
I'm enjoying this thread immensely.

Can't imagine the pervasive sense of dread by normal people by mid spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I would not be surprised if it gets closed.
^
On Oct 14th ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area