U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-30-2008, 09:28 AM

214 posts, read 463,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Bottom line: neither one of you posters care for the Phx area--------why do you two keep coming here with your negative comments time and time again? We do not care.

Most of us 'lizards' here do not go to the Chicago et al Forums and slam the weather there----------some of the folks living there actually enjoy Chi---------which I can respect.

Again: speaking for myself; by far the #1 reason I left Wash DC was due to its Goddam winters. Had the weather there avg'ed, say 10-15 degrees warmer in January--------I may have never left although my home likely would have been in the Fredericksburg, Va. area.
For not caring, ArizonaBear, you sure work up a head of steam about it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 10:33 AM

453 posts, read 1,013,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Bottom line: neither one of you posters care for the Phx area--------why do you two keep coming here with your negative comments time and time again? We do not care.

Most of us 'lizards' here do not go to the Chicago et al Forums and slam the weather there----------some of the folks living there actually enjoy Chi---------which I can respect.

Again: speaking for myself; by far the #1 reason I left Wash DC was due to its Goddam winters. Had the weather there avg'ed, say 10-15 degrees warmer in January--------I may have never left although my home likely would have been in the Fredericksburg, Va. area.

I only respond to specific comments on specific threads which I feel I can contribute to based on personal experience. When someone posts a comment like one of those above, which states:

"It`s funny how people move here, then go back and after one winter they move back again. Some people that I know have done it several times before moving here for good. There are plenty of reasons not to stay here but the weather is no excuse."

Or, something to the effect of, 'eveyone I know who moves to Phoenix from the midwest loves the weather there', I reply. Because I'm from the midwest, and I beg to differ. I don't post here, much, thank you. In fact, it's probably been months since I've visited. When I do, this is the one and only reason I post anything- some comment piques my interest because it relates to my own personal experience.

Speaking of negative comments, at least I don't continually rag on D.C. in a Phoenix thread the way a certain poster does with every single post. What in God's name is the point of that, by the way? I think we get it already. You hated the winters in D.C. Great. Move on.

Last edited by steve22; 10-30-2008 at 10:48 AM..

Old 10-30-2008, 10:46 AM

2,522 posts, read 2,618,656 times
We were in the Valley of the Sun (Peoria and Scottsdale, primarily) at the end of September and the beginning of Oct, it was over 100 degrees every day, but I think that was considered to be unseasonally warm. My parents retired to the area 25 years ago and although I might like the season changes Chicago affords, I really enjoy and appreciate AZ on our winter and early spring visits!
Hope it gets cooler soon!

Old 10-31-2008, 02:11 PM

15 posts, read 25,630 times
I live in Virginia and it's already 28 degrees at night. I thought I would freeze, and we heat by oil which is too expensive to buy. Can anyone in Phoenix tell me about Glendale, Buckeye, Sun City, Peoria or Surprise. I am seriously trying to move to some place in the Phoenix area.

Farmerjo

Old 10-31-2008, 03:22 PM

328 posts, read 581,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarbuilder View Post
Not 90 here either and I still don`t miss putting salt down on the sidewalk. Maybe it`s just me but I`ve had very few neighbors move away and the ones who did have kept in touch. Without exception our rule is to drive the hour north anytime we want to get out of the heat. I hope you get to 90 and come back...we`ll leave the light on for you.
By the time I'm 90 it will be 100+ degrees year round in PHX and there will be no water...so no thanks!

Old 10-31-2008, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
The weather in Phoenix is very similar to the weather in Baghdad.
LOL, both = H-E-L-L

Old 10-31-2008, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I never said Chicago's weather was "better" did I? Even if I did, it would be a matter of personal opinion. But to be honest, minus winter, I DO find Chicago's weather to be far more enjoyable than PHX's. So do a lot of people. There are also a lot of people who find PHX's weather more enjoyable than Chicago's. Me? I happen to LOVE snow and the cold temps, theyre very refreshing and allow me to change wardrobes, partake in different sports, etc. SPring is the ONLY season I hate in Chicago. Its messy. One day it could be 80 degrees and youre wearing shorts, the next day its 45 and raining. That I dont like. But summer here (minus the few really hot and humid days) is much, much, MUCH more pleasant than PHX's, and our falls are also much better. Remember, this is just an opinion. Im sorry, but some people wouldnt trade our current 65 degrees with brightly colored leaves and brisk nights for your 90+ degrees youre still experiencing. Its the same as some Phoenicians who wouldnt trade your 65 degree winter days to Chicagos 30 degree winter days. I just prefer variety, something that Phoenix sorely lacks when it comes to weather.
+1, I so miss the variety of weather when I lived in hell...N. Az is pretty good that way but still not enough clouds or precip for my tastes.

Old 10-31-2008, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve22 View Post
Just wanted to chime in here- I'm a MI native, lived in Phoenix for 4 years and could not stand it. I left and would never come back. Honestly, though, even though the cliche thing people complain most about there is the heat, I found that there are just so many valid criticisms of the city itself and problems Phoenix has beyond the weather, it's stunning. IMO, the weather is about the least of Phoenix's problems, but that's just me.

But, I'll stay on topic here and just say that if your sole priority is finding mild weather, trust me, there are so many better options out there. I would never begin to classify Phoenix's weather as "mild". Maybe my experiences for comparison were a bit more diverse before moving to Phoenix than those of many other midwest/east coast transplants, having lived several other places in the West before coming there. But IMO, summers were abso-freakin' lutely godawful, and winters there weren't nearly nice enough to make up for it. I moved back to CO, and think I'll stay here, thanks. Weather's much nicer for a much higher percentage of the year, and even when it snows, generally the sun comes right out & I can go skiing. Plus, FWIW, Denver as a city? WAAAAAAAAYYY nicer than Phoenix. Not even close.
Let's face it...PHX is not a 'real' city...it is a huge spread out land mass with tons of cheap stucco boxes thrown up all over the place and all about 5 feet from the next one...oh yeah, there is NO real downtown, at least NOTHING close to any other city I have ever lived in or by...if there isn't a game or something it is dead by 530PM...and dead again about 30 minutes after a game...pretty lame.

Old 10-31-2008, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamama Mia View Post
We were in the Valley of the Sun (Peoria and Scottsdale, primarily) at the end of September and the beginning of Oct, it was over 100 degrees every day, but I think that was considered to be unseasonally warm. My parents retired to the area 25 years ago and although I might like the season changes Chicago affords, I really enjoy and appreciate AZ on our winter and early spring visits!
Hope it gets cooler soon!
You got it! Valley is a nice place to VISIT...living for years on end is another matter...

Old 10-31-2008, 03:32 PM

4,162 posts, read 5,456,541 times
How hot does phoenix get? I think I would like that over the humidity in Oklahoma. It was my first summer living here and I couldn't stand the humidity and they say it was a mild year for this area. I have always liked dry heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area