U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 04-23-2009, 01:44 PM
 
1,002 posts, read 1,076,247 times
Reputation: 1273
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
In regards to safety, I saw people working without hardhats, gloves, goggles in a steel manufacturing company
Yeah I saw stuff like that as well. And it's common knowledge, anyway. Everyone knows about the sweatshop conditions over there.

I was just pointing out that the Asians are getting rich from hard work and respect for education, while we seem to be wallowing in entitlements and laziness.

Maybe we Americans could learn a thing or two from them about hard work and sacrifice, just as they could learn a little more about the rights of the individual, which we cherish above all.

Getting back to Walmart--I haven't heard of any deaths or injuries resulting from how they treat their workers. Maybe a few hernias a year from carrying heavy stuff, I don't know.

I think people should appreciate the opportunities they have and stop attacking businesses just because they're profitable. Sure, let's police businesses and prevent dangerous car parts, defective drugs, all of that. Absolutely. That's what the FDA etc. is for.

If you disapprove of sweatshop stuff, don't buy it. Buy American. That's what I do, problem being there's so few American made things anymore, and some of it is just poorly designed crap anyway, like cars for example.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-23-2009, 01:48 PM
 
1,002 posts, read 1,076,247 times
Reputation: 1273
Quote:
Originally Posted by trudawg View Post
Thats what I'm saying! I dont' get why everyone blames the Unions for high over head in American Companies. Blame the Government for not subsidizing heath care, and education like most every other industrialized nation on this planet. It's a vicious circle, Companies lay off thousands then sit back a wait for consumer spending and earnings reports.
Who's going to buy these high end products if American workers don't make high end wages!!!!
You think people in Maylaysia can afford to buy the products they produce????
someone has to pay for the health care, though. It's not free like fruit hanging on a tree.

If we manufactured everything in the U.S., an iPhone would cost $2000 instead of $200 and desktop computers would be $5000 instead of $500. Shoes would probably start at $150. Clothes would be a lot more expensive, too. You wanna pay those kinds of prices? You think poor people should?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2009, 01:53 PM
 
Location: Sonoran Desert
15,881 posts, read 18,670,447 times
Reputation: 8231
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
If you disapprove of sweatshop stuff, don't buy it. Buy American. That's what I do, problem being there's so few American made things anymore, and some of it is just poorly designed crap anyway, like cars for example.
I wonder if US auto manufacturers will every overcome the quality image. US brands have jumped way up in JD Power's dependability surveys. Buick is now ahead of Lexus, at the top of the pile. And all bottom spots are now held by imports. Buick is the top brand in China. Maybe the Chinese don't build quality, but apparently they know it when they see it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2009, 02:01 PM
 
61 posts, read 119,590 times
Reputation: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by trudawg View Post
Thats what I'm saying! I dont' get why everyone blames the Unions for high over head in American Companies. Blame the Government for not subsidizing heath care, and education like most every other industrialized nation on this planet.
If the government is so efficient at doing these things then why stop there? Let's have them make make our appliances, shoes, serve us Big Macs and fries. Then they can make our clothes and cars. (Oops... scratch the auto industry... they're already controlling that ).

Sorry... I just don't see the federal government's role the way you do.

Quote:
Who's going to buy these high end products if American workers don't make high end wages!!!!
But who will be able to afford these products with those high wages built into them?

It's a balance... the free markets just need to stabilize "on their own" for a change. We consumers aren't stupid. (Except those that bought ARM homes they couldn't afford of course).
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2009, 02:12 PM
 
61 posts, read 119,590 times
Reputation: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I wonder if US auto manufacturers will every overcome the quality image. US brands have jumped way up in JD Power's dependability surveys. Buick is now ahead of Lexus, at the top of the pile.
It has in my opinion. I owned a new Ford back in '76. What a piece of crap - mainly because of all the EPA standards and Federal fuel efficiency requirements. My next new car was a Toyota Celica. Wow... what a difference.

Since then, we've owned a lot of new American vehicles not favoring one make over another. The workmanship and quality was always great in my opinion. Plus, the bumper to bumper warranties are pretty reasonable. My 2006 Malibu right now is just fine. I also have a 2005 Sierra pickup that hasn't cost me a nickel other than oil and lube.

But again, one has to go back to the 70's for a real lemon in my opinion. Maybe it's just me.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2009, 02:14 PM
 
482 posts, read 880,150 times
Reputation: 79
I've heard the South Korean and Taiwan health care systems are very good. The government sets the rates on services. I don't think the AMA is going to like that. Of course, there are few illegals in these countries.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2009, 03:47 PM
 
535 posts, read 1,118,053 times
Reputation: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicT View Post
If the government is so efficient at doing these things then why stop there? Let's have them make make our appliances, shoes, serve us Big Macs and fries. Then they can make our clothes and cars. (Oops... scratch the auto industry... they're already controlling that ).

Sorry... I just don't see the federal government's role the way you do.

But who will be able to afford these products with those high wages built into them?

It's a balance... the free markets just need to stabilize "on their own" for a change. We consumers aren't stupid. (Except those that bought ARM homes they couldn't afford of course).
I agree with you, and don't think comuunism or socialism is the way to go, but run-a-way capitolism isn't the solution either, sooner or later a select minute portion of the population will end up with all the resources. I just don't think things like medicine and education should be for profit.
I think the economy will hiccup itself back to normal and readjust itself.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2009, 05:48 PM
 
8,853 posts, read 8,975,936 times
Reputation: 6025
Default It's not a perception; it's a reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I wonder if US auto manufacturers will every overcome the quality image. US brands have jumped way up in JD Power's dependability surveys. Buick is now ahead of Lexus, at the top of the pile. And all bottom spots are now held by imports. Buick is the top brand in China. Maybe the Chinese don't build quality, but apparently they know it when they see it.
Buick may top the ratings but only 4 American companies are in the JD Power top 10. Here are the top 10.

1. Buick
2. Jaguar
3. Lexus
4. Toyota
5. Mercury
6. Infiniti
7. Accura
8. Lincoln
9. Cadillac
10. Honda

And in terms of the Powertrain Dependability, only 2 American companies made the top 10

1. Acura
2. Buick
3. Infiniti
4. Jaguar
5. Lexus
6. Toyota
7. BMW
8. Honda
9. Hyundai
10. Lincoln



Ratings | J.D. Power
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2009, 05:53 PM
 
8,853 posts, read 8,975,936 times
Reputation: 6025
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
someone has to pay for the health care, though. It's not free like fruit hanging on a tree.

If we manufactured everything in the U.S., an iPhone would cost $2000 instead of $200 and desktop computers would be $5000 instead of $500. Shoes would probably start at $150. Clothes would be a lot more expensive, too. You wanna pay those kinds of prices? You think poor people should?
So you would rather have people out of work altogether just so I-phones can be cheaper? If these companies keep outsourcing jobs they are not going to have customers to buy their products because no one has a job. That's what you are seeing now. This is why Circuit City had to close down all its stores in Arizona. This is why car dealerships are closing down and why GM pondered bankruptcy. When people have jobs and are earning money, they spend! The reason the economy was so strong in the late 90's is because the dotcom boom led to jobs which created jobs in other industries that serviced those companies. Employment was high and people had money to spend and they spent it which created more jobs. These companies would charge higher prices but more Americans would be employed and thus buying these products.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2009, 05:54 PM
 
Location: Sonoran Desert
15,881 posts, read 18,670,447 times
Reputation: 8231
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Buick may top the ratings but only 4 American companies are in the JD Power top 10. Here are the top 10.

1. Buick
2. Jaguar
3. Lexus
4. Toyota
5. Mercury
6. Infiniti
7. Accura
8. Lincoln
9. Cadillac
10. Honda

And in terms of the Powertrain Dependability, only 2 American companies made the top 10

1. Acura
2. Buick
3. Infiniti
4. Jaguar
5. Lexus
6. Toyota
7. BMW
8. Honda
9. Hyundai
10. Lincoln



Ratings | J.D. Power
Just what is your point? "Only" 40% of the brands in the top 10 are US made including the top one. They are higher than the vaunted Honda or Acura or BMW, Infiniti, or in the case of Granpa's Buick, the TOYOTA. What the F do you want - all of the top 10 to be US? Jeez. Hey, there's a thorn in this rose! Amazing... I think you looked it up because you did not believe it when I posted, then had to find some fault with it for whatever reason. The fact is the US made cars have an undeserved (well maybe it is deserved, but it is not accurate) reputation for poor quality that is not substantiated by objective measure.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 04-23-2009 at 06:03 PM..
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top