Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2008, 07:59 AM

11 posts, read 27,143 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a rental house and have noticed a few trends that have sparked some questions:

1. It seems like all of the houses I am looking at do not have mailboxes at the end of the driveway. I am assuming there is a cluster of mailboxes in the neighborhoods somewhere. Any idea why this is? I have never seen this before in other places I have lived. Also, will the Postal Service deliver packages to your door if they wont fit in the mailbox? I am guessing that UPS/FedEx will provide door service, but you never know about the USPS!
  2. A surprising number of houses are missing refrigerators. To me this seems like a key appliance for a rental house to have. I don't know anyone who rents a house who owns their own refrigerator. I guess this is more of a comment than a question!
  3. Will shade/shade trees make a big difference in how cool a house feels and in the electric bill? Some houses are nicely shaded by trees while others are wide open.
  4. Will renting a house in an SRP area really make that big of a difference in the electric bill over a house serviced by APS? I am looking at roughly 1800-2000 sqft with a pool....
I feel very fortunate to have so many choices in rental housing at reasonable prices. My experience in the Seattle area has been having virtually no choice at all and paying through the nose for it!

Thanks again for all of the advice and discussion here. This forum is invaluable to my learning about the area.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:25 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,056,189 times
1. Most homes have the cluster style mailboxes...except in older or rural neighborhoods. If you are receiving a large package, there are usually a couple of big boxes (in your cluster box) that the mail carrier will put large packages in - then they'll put a special key in your mailbox that will open the big mail box.

2. Refrigerators/washers/dryers - some homes have them, and some homes don't.

3. I wouldn't think shade trees would make a very big difference in how cool a home will feel. More importantly, look for a home with a north/south exposure, or a home with sun screens. Ceiling fans in all rooms are beneficial too.

4. I think SRP rates are lower. Both offer different energy saving packages that will help keep the bill down.

Welcome and good luck!

Old 11-05-2008, 08:26 AM

1,112 posts, read 3,997,265 times
Your mailbox will be with many others who live near you, under lock and key, within at least two blocks from your house. These "clusters" have larger boxes meant for packages. If you receive a package, the mail person will try to put it in a larger box, and leave the key in yours. If the package is too big to fit in the box, I believe they will hold it at the post office, and notify you for pick up.

I'm clueless about the refrigerator thing. Rentals should have them.

Shade trees outside are nice; but it won't help your house, or your power bill.

Your bill will be a bit less with SRP, but generally, will be about the same. Outrageously high, and upsetting, either way.

Have fun!

Old 11-05-2008, 09:53 AM

11 posts, read 27,143 times
The mailbox thing is interesting. The only thing I can figure is that it saves the mail carriers from having to walk around in the heat.

I agree that rentals should have refrigerators....I can understand not having a washer and dryer, but not having a refrigerator is weird to me. Quite a few houses I have seen online lack refrigerators.

Good to know about the shade trees....nice to have but wont really help the bills to much.

I was kind of guessing that the bills for SRP vs APS would be roughly the same, but the consensus on the board here seemed to imply that SRP would be cheaper. It sounds like it wont make too big of a difference whether I live in a SRP or APS area. The biggest savings probably come from rate plans, timing, and conservation.

Thanks again!

Old 11-05-2008, 10:16 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,762,672 times
The mail box thing is because Phoenix is the mail theft capital of the US. Tweekers love stealing your mail. PO Bos is your best option.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:23 PM

639 posts, read 2,710,416 times
I live in a house in North Tempe. Community build in mid 80's and each house has it's own mailbox.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:53 AM

551 posts, read 2,725,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZnative4Life View Post
The mail box thing is because Phoenix is the mail theft capital of the US. Tweekers love stealing your mail. PO Bos is your best option.
You hit the nail on the head! The common boxes are secure, requiring a key to access your mail. The letter carrier has one master key that opens roughly 20 boxes at a time. Usually, there is also a slot for outgoing mail as well, which helps to prevent people stealing your outgoing mail too, such as payment checks, etc.

Of course, I'm sure it also makes the letter carrier's job easier -- especially since many areas now outsource mail delivery to non-postal employees!

As for the appliances, it's up to the owner. Sometimes including appliances can help get a tenant more quickly, or perhaps helps with a slight increase in rent. However, many owners just don't want to have to worry about the possibility of their appliances getting damaged or being responsible for making sure they are in working order.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:05 PM

33 posts, read 136,495 times
YOu can also call SRP or APS and get information about your electric bills.

I believe the others have answered most of your questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area