Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 07:05 PM

611 posts, read 1,991,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff-man View Post
Originally Posted by markas214
"I guess liberal to some means anything goes. Maybe I should have used the term progressive. I just want to avoid ultra conservative, intolerant religious types."

Wow, you sound very intolerant.
As I said in the first post I am somewhat hypocritical. I do have little tolerance for close minded right wingers and religious fanatics. The difference is I admit my shortcomings and I don't try to shove my views onto others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 07:59 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markas214 View Post
As I said in the first post I am somewhat hypocritical. I do have little tolerance for close minded right wingers and religious fanatics. The difference is I admit my shortcomings and I don't try to shove my views onto others.
You sound like an Old School Liberal.................back when being a Liberal was honorable.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
You sound like an Old School Liberal.................back when being a Liberal was honorable.
There was a time when conservatives were honorable too. Then came the neocons along with Rush and Hannity.

Old 11-13-2008, 06:45 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times
Quote:
There was a time when conservatives were honorable too. Then came the neocons along with Rush and Hannity.
I catch your drift, although sometimes I do agree with 'em.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:44 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
I think you need to examine how some liberals come across as well, they push their views down throats, they believe anyone with a brain should think like they do and often put those who believe in church down...It works both ways. I do not know for certain, but the type of conservatives you are dicribing, especially in relationship to religion are not as prevelant in AZ as in some other parts of the state. Not all liberals or democrats are obnoxious nor are all republicans. I think you might be doing yourself and your family a favor by moving into a neighborhood that will mix both...

It might surprise you to know, not all republicans, even conservatives follow the teachings of Rush or Michael Savage..We think for ourselves.

Old 11-13-2008, 12:22 PM

96 posts, read 532,702 times
My guess is that most of Arizona is no less intolerant then say the Hyde Park area of Chicago, Santa Monica and San Francisco, CA, The upper east and West side of Manhattan, etc.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:39 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,009,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Your experiences with Tucson were obviously different than mine.

I am an auto alignment technician by trade and back in 2004 a Big O Tire there offered me $10 an hour, needless to say, I declined the job. Here in the Phx area I was typically paid $14 an hour (or better) doing the exact same work.

Too; several other people who lived in Tucson got tired of the BS wages and left.

Again: based on my personal experience I cannot recommend Tucson.
I guess our experiences with Tucson do differ. Some people prefer Tucson some Phoenix.

For the purposes of this thread, which is to find a liberal, progressive area, Tucson wins hands down.

End of story.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think you need to examine how some liberals come across as well, they push their views down throats, they believe anyone with a brain should think like they do and often put those who believe in church down...It works both ways. I do not know for certain, but the type of conservatives you are dicribing, especially in relationship to religion are not as prevelant in AZ as in some other parts of the state. Not all liberals or democrats are obnoxious nor are all republicans. I think you might be doing yourself and your family a favor by moving into a neighborhood that will mix both...

It might surprise you to know, not all republicans, even conservatives follow the teachings of Rush or Michael Savage..We think for ourselves.
Well in my current neighborhood two neighbors had McCain signs and I and another Obama. We all get along just fine. My point is not to find a conservative free or Republican free (my mother votes Republican) area but one where there are many views all tolerated without ostracization or condescension..

Old 11-13-2008, 07:18 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Well in my current neighborhood two neighbors had McCain signs and I and another Obama. We all get along just fine. My point is not to find a conservative free or Republican free (my mother votes Republican) area but one where there are many views all tolerated without ostracization or condescension..
I saw very few lawns signs of either candidate. I get the sense that people here don't advertise their political persuasion as a rule. I've never known anyone who is so passionate about their politics that it influenced their relations with their neighbors. I should think you would find that agreeable.

Old 11-14-2008, 12:53 PM

611 posts, read 2,307,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbear View Post
This map, published in this morning's Arizona Republic, may be of help:

http://www.azcentral.com/ic/pdf/1111samesex-map.jpg

It shows precinct by precinct the vote in favor of Proposition 102, which defined marriage as a union between "one man and one woman."

The darker the precinct, the greater the vote in favor of 102. The white clusters, in which a majority of voters rejected 102, are in Central Phoenix and Tempe, with a smaller one in southern Scottsdale. The medium-colored precincts, in which voters were evenly split, are generally inside the 101 and in the northeast portion of the metro area. The dark precincts, in which a majority of voters approved 102, are generally outside the 101, particularly on the west side and in the southeast Valley.

I think the vote on 102 is generally a good benchmark of religious tolerance. In my view, an effort to write discrimination into the State Consitution is more of an imposition of religion than any Mormon missionaries or Jehovah's Witnesses at my doorstep. The latter I can politely turn away; the former will be in the Constitution until attitudes change and the next generation reverses the decisions made by the current one.
Interesting map. Good find Silverbear! Point for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area