Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 08:07 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,196,009 times

Advertisements

I am wondering what your feelings are about the best and safest, "smaller feeling" place around the valley is. I am in the Verde Valley right now, a beautiful spot, but am somehow restless and feeling like I might make a move, perhaps to the valley or somehwere nearby. I am late 40's and self employed, I only need interent and phone to work. I like quiantness and character but realize that that is not necessarily available down there, but perhaps there is a place with a smaller town feel where you can get most things you need without going far. I don't do bars at all, I like good restaurants, health food stores, Trader Joes, movies and perhaps a gym. I also value a sense of community.

If you didn't have to live in the valley for work would you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 08:25 AM

39,008 posts, read 51,017,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
I am wondering what your feelings are about the best and safest, "smaller feeling" place around the valley is. I am in the Verde Valley right now, a beautiful spot, but am somehow restless and feeling like I might make a move, perhaps to the valley or somehwere nearby. I am late 40's and self employed, I only need interent and phone to work. I like quiantness and character but realize that that is not necessarily available down there, but perhaps there is a place with a smaller town feel where you can get most things you need without going far. I don't do bars at all, I like good restaurants, health food stores, Trader Joes, movies and perhaps a gym. I also value a sense of community.

If you didn't have to live in the valley for work would you?
I live in Estrella in Goodyear and it has, more than any of the places I have lived here, the illusion of a small town. It does not have much shopping though - neither do small towns - but that is pretty close by.

Still, if I had my druthers I would move to Anthem/New River/Black Canyon City on I-17 because it is close to the things I like to do - lakes, get out of town. Goodyear is OK going to CA, but CA is just a much worse version of Phoenix in my book.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I live in Estrella in Goodyear and it has, more than any of the places I have lived here, the illusion of a small town. It does not have much shopping though - neither do small towns - but that is pretty close by.

Still, if I had my druthers I would move to Anthem/New River/Black Canyon City on I-17 because it is close to the things I like to do - lakes, get out of town. Goodyear is OK going to CA, but CA is just a much worse version of Phoenix in my book.
Thanks for that info, I just read a bit about Estrella yesterday...how far away is shopping? In Sedona you have Walmart and Home Depot in Cottonwood otherwise it's a big trip to Flag or Prescott.

Regarding Anthem, where are the lakes that are nearby?

Old 11-11-2008, 09:10 AM

Default I meant to post this in the Phoenix forum

Does anyone know how I can move it?

Old 11-11-2008, 12:47 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,586,076 times
Look at Surprise. Nice smaller community.

Has a Sprouts and Trader Joe's (Brand New/new store design to go nation wide).

Plenty of shopping. Kohls, Target, Best Buy, etc...

Brand new Movie theater.

Fine dining includes Vogue Bistro and Kokopelli Winery/Bistro.

Spring Baseball....

Excellent Park with many amenities.

Very safe area as well...

Old 11-11-2008, 01:38 PM

1,112 posts, read 3,987,787 times
If you can afford it.. the older parts of Litchfield Park may be exactly what you're looking for.

Old 11-11-2008, 02:06 PM

824 posts, read 2,331,067 times
Quote:
"Trader Joe's (Brand New/new store design to go nation wide)"
Literally new, hasn't that Surprise store been open like 48 hours? I have not been there yet.

I agree that Surprise fits almost everything on your list, but it is not small anymore.

Old 11-11-2008, 02:23 PM

39,008 posts, read 51,017,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Thanks for that info, I just read a bit about Estrella yesterday...how far away is shopping? In Sedona you have Walmart and Home Depot in Cottonwood otherwise it's a big trip to Flag or Prescott.

Regarding Anthem, where are the lakes that are nearby?
Most stuff is now within 6 miles and just about everything else is within 15-20 minutes. No Trader Joe's that I know of though. Eventually, of course. A Basha's and some shops are under construction in Estrella now with a bunch more retail and professional due to break ground next year-if the economy cooperates. Lake Pleasant is pretty convenient to Anthem. BTW, Estrella has two lakes of about 40 acres each. No waterskiiing, but fishing is good and you can sail small boats, take out paddleboats or just watch the waves and the ducks.

Old 11-11-2008, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Most stuff is now within 6 miles and just about everything else is within 15-20 minutes. No Trader Joe's that I know of though. Eventually, of course. A Basha's and some shops are under construction in Estrella now with a bunch more retail and professional due to break ground next year-if the economy cooperates. Lake Pleasant is pretty convenient to Anthem. BTW, Estrella has two lakes of about 40 acres each. No waterskiiing, but fishing is good and you can sail small boats, take out paddleboats or just watch the waves and the ducks.
Thanks, 6 miles or 15 minutes is better than the drive from Sedona to Cottonwood, just to get Walmart and Home Depot, to get more stores I have to go up to Flag (about 50 minutes) or to Prescott which always seems to take over an hour...it's far away. I will check Estrella.

Old 11-11-2008, 04:21 PM

[quote=ibarrio;6113611]Look at Surprise. Nice smaller community.

quote]

Thanks, I will check out Surprise...I really appreciate all the info from everyone....there are so many places and for someone who doesn't know any of them, it's a real lot to choose from when trying to look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area