Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 11:22 AM

36 posts, read 81,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post

I have a strong feel however that if I moved, I would get tired very quickly of those changes after the novelty wore off. Those great changes would just become pains in the butt...raking the leaves, scraping ice off the windshield, etc etc.
Even the urban downtowns of the east are great...but I think I would still always be curious to see how downtown Phoenix is doing and what's new with it.

I wasn't born in Phoenix but have lived here for almost 18 years...moved here when I was 10 so I guess I consider it my "home town".
That is exactly what has happened. The novelty HAS worn off. We currently live in a beautiful home on a lake, in a great community, close to family and friends, but it doensn't feels like "Home" the way Phoenix did. Sounds odd, but I almost feel "drawn" back to the Valley in some way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 11:46 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borborygmi View Post
Or Albuquerque. Or Santa Fe. Or Salt Lake City. Or Flagstaff. Or just about anywhere in Colorado.
The traffic and crime . . . very possibly.

However, most of your options have UGH Winters.

Old 11-20-2008, 12:42 PM

228 posts, read 594,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
The traffic and crime . . . very possibly.

However, most of your options have UGH Winters.

Huh??? I've lived in Colorado, been to the other places I mentioned above numerous times, and lived in the midwest as well for comparison. Trust me when I say that none of those places have "ugh" winters when compared to the east coast or midwest. Albuquerque/Santa Fe have the closest thing to SoCal weather outside of SoCal in the continental U.S. It's much more comfortable there for a much higher percentage of the year than Phoenix or Tucson.

As for Colorado, Flag and Utah, the communities of the southern rockies, the front range communities of CO and the communities along the Wasatch front in UT have virtually just as many sunny days during the winter as Phoenix has. It's dry, and with the altitude it's quite comfortable during the day most of the time. Plus, as a ski buff, you can't beat the proximity to all that fluffy powder. If you've never experienced a rocky mountain winter, I gather that you wouldn't have any concept of what I'm talking about because you have no basis for comparison- but believe me when I say that winters in the aforementioned places beat the pants off a midwest or east coast winter. And summers there are flat gorgeous. For 4 straight months.

I think the best way to measure how comfortable the climate is anywhere on an annual basis is to look at your energy bills. The more money you have to spend on energy to heat/cool your house over the course of a year is a great way to measure just how temperate on average a climate is. And I can tell you that my average heating/cooling bills over the course of a year living in Colorado were literally half what they've been since living in Phoenix. We did get the occasional big winter storm as they do in Flagstaff or any of the other paces; but then the sun comes out, and it goes right away most of the time if you're not actually up in the mountains. That's completely unlike the midwest or east coast, where it stays cold/cloudy for months on end. Again, you just have to experience it. But "ugh"? Hardly.

I will say with absolute conviction that there was never a time living there, summer or winter, when I was confined indoors for an extended period of time for my own comfort or safety as I have been in Phoenix. Never.

Old 11-27-2008, 11:57 AM

8,042 posts, read 12,265,438 times
OK, now it's my turn to boast. Yes, we are finally getting some of the most beautiful weather that I've seen in well over 80 days. Rain all last night & this morning, even some occasional heavy showers. The air is fresh, the humidity is high, the streets are washed clean of the oil & crud, and I won't have to do any watering for a while. Is there a spot with better weather right now??? Not sure, but Phoenix's weather right now is FANTASTIC!!!

Sadly, the sun is starting to come back out ... which is proof that all good things must come to an end. Oh, well. The rain was good while it lasted. Happy Thanksgiving!

Old 11-27-2008, 12:08 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBlade View Post
My wife and I also grew tired of the heat of Phoenix, and ultimately, moved to NW Indiana/Chicagoland two years ago. We had spent 7 years in Phoenix and decided to move back to the area where we grew up and where most of our family still resides. We had grown tired of the extreme heat in the summer and couldn't wait to have "changing seasons" again...Christmas with snow on the ground...the trees changing color in the fall...so on and so forth.

Well, after three years of terrible winters, gloomy days and high-humidity summers, we have decided to move back to Phoenix by 2011. We miss it...desperately. There are things we definitely don't miss (traffic, increasing crime, 110+ degree days, ect.), but, for us, the positives surely outweigh the negatives.

Obviously, everyone is different, but that is just my take.
I lived in Florida in 1982 for 4 mostly miserable months---------when I returned to SoCal I almost kissed the ground at LAX----------I was soooo grateful to be back here in the west.

Old 11-27-2008, 12:14 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Beach, swimming pool, whatever. It's a metaphor. The gist of what I'm saying is that the winter weather in Phoenix is not tropical. It's certainly not likely to make you want to go sunbathing or disrobe outside and go jump in any body of water. Think April in the midwest, and that's about right. There have been numerous times in Phoenix during the winters that I've been quite thankful for the heated seats in my car, put it that way.
Actually; about the only places in the continental US with the weather you describe would be southern Florida. SoCal can be 'chilly' in the winters as well.

Old 11-27-2008, 12:15 PM

453 posts, read 1,628,489 times
I am from IL, been here 3 years and hate the summers, hate the high electric bills, I have to work two jobs just to keep ahead of them. But thinking about moving back to IL? I would miss it here terribly. What would I miss? The wonderful winters.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:26 PM

228 posts, read 594,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Actually; about the only places in the continental US with the weather you describe would be southern Florida. SoCal can be 'chilly' in the winters as well.

Well, yes; but the perception held by many outsiders seems to be that Phoenix winters are somehow tropical or at least equivocal to summers in the northern latitudes. My point is, they're not.

Old 12-03-2008, 11:19 PM

219 posts, read 779,196 times
Quote:
Well, yes; but the perception held by many outsiders seems to be that Phoenix winters are somehow tropical or at least equivocal to summers in the northern latitudes. My point is, they're not.
I dont expect the winters here to be like summers in the northern latitudes (that is 80s with high humidity, not even Miami has that in the winter), but I do expect them to be like late April-early May, and that is vastly superior to November-March.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:27 AM

399 posts, read 554,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowHeavyGroove View Post
I'd take snow anyday over 80, 70, 60, 50 or even 40 degree weather. I can't stand anything over 50, and I came from West Texas(Was born in Northern Indiana near Chi-Town). 50 is sweatin' weather....as is anything above.......and you can have it. And as stated in another thread...I HATE the sun.

Why are you living in Phoenix Metro Area then. Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area