Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 08:33 PM

395 posts, read 1,007,030 times

Advertisements

"Greatness" meaning size, importance to global economy, size of economy, diversity, and desirability?

Why did these cities surpass Phoenix, which is on the decline?

Is it the lack of diversity, lack of any walkable neighborhoods, conservatism, no public transport and unfavorable climate with no water? L.A. lacks water too (although eventually they will run out). Is it just simply the lack of a huge and diverse economy like Houston and L.A? Is Phoenix goin to do anything to address quality-of-life issues and catch up to L.A. and Houston which have done a lot in the past 10-20 years to add public transport and create more walkable neighborhoods and clean up pollution? Also, when will Phoenix become more liberal/socially accepting?

Will Phoenix one day "rise from the ashes" - of course they've predicted that with Detroit for like 30 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 10:15 PM

178 posts, read 478,812 times
Phoenix will once it changes its philosophy from,

If they come I will build it

to

If I build it they will come.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:28 PM

687 posts, read 1,938,358 times
Oil and climate, respectively.

Old 11-17-2008, 11:01 PM

105 posts, read 325,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txguy2009 View Post
" create more walkable neighborhoods and clean up pollution?

Ahahahahahahahahaha.....I lived in Texas for over 20 years....Houston is the biggest crime ridden dump in the United States next to Detroit. Everything downtown is closed by 5 p.m.......the police dept. recruits out of town and out of state. It ain't that much bigger either....I'd feel safer walking down any street in Phoenix and it's surrounding areas, than the
"safest" places in Houston. And it's pretty polluted too....L.A. is nothing more than a cespool, and should be nuked.

Old 11-17-2008, 11:39 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,402,467 times
Actually I think that Phoenix's unique big city conservative atmosphere is somewhat attractive for many people. Phoenix is also no more conservative than Houston and the surrounding area. Salt Lake City is much more conservative than Phoenix and hasn't had any growth issues. Phoenix has also grown by 26% since 2000.

Phoenix has a very important economy. It is a large tech center with many companies including Google, eBay, and Microsoft having some offices or regional headquarters in the area. Phoenix is also an important tourist destination in the United States. People come from across North America to experience the arid climate.

Diversity is not something people really think about before moving to a large city. Seattle, Portland, Salt Lake, and others are much less diverse and attract many of the globe's finest people.

Phoenix is very desirable hence the relatively high housing prices in many areas. Phoenix attracts many people from Los Angeles, who are tired of the hectic and overly competitive lifestyle.

I would never consider Phoenix ashes especially considering how fast it has grown. I really don't understand your point.

Old 11-17-2008, 11:45 PM

919 posts, read 3,382,476 times
You are so on point. Just the other day on the "Price is Right," they gave a way a trip to Houston and the crowd went nuts. It's defintely on a roll. Everyone I know all over the country is itching for a trip to the swanky, international melting pot of Harris County, home to such attractions as the Enron Museum and the Tour of Refineries. New York is out. Napa is out. Sampling petrochemicals is the new thing. And with the 3rd highest murder rate, Houston is not only walkable, but more appropriately: runnable. That, coupled with the pollution, humidy, swamp-like environs and the suicidal nature of energy executives and local sports fans has spawned a renowned medical center - so you got that going for you as well.

Now I'm torn for what to do for the holidays... the beaches of LA or the fresh air, easy commute and liberal vibe of Houston?

Old 11-17-2008, 11:50 PM

395 posts, read 1,007,030 times
Lol...Maricopa county didn't even go for Obama! Harris went for Obama, and it includes a bunch of 'burbs, Houston city was like 70/30 Obama. Phoenix is the most red big city - dont' they have some sheriff there who openly hates on minorities or something? Do they even allow gay people there?

How are all those tourists doing in Phoenix? Lol. Never said Houston was for tourists - although we get plenty of them for NASA, and actually have a prestigious university, Rice, and some of the more prestigious medical schools.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:27 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,223,264 times
Go back to the Texas forum where you belong, cocky Texan.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:42 AM

919 posts, read 3,382,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txguy2009 View Post
How are all those tourists doing in Phoenix? Lol. Never said Houston was for tourists - although we get plenty of them for NASA, and actually have a prestigious university, Rice, and some of the more prestigious medical schools.
Didn't Obama campaign against divisiveness? That we are all our Brother's keepers? I'm trying to understand why a fan of liberal ideals would launch a bunch of posts nationally that proclaim some sort of civic superiority. The new POTUS would be the first to reject the premise.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:01 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,103,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowHeavyGroove View Post
Ahahahahahahahahaha.....I lived in Texas for over 20 years....Houston is the biggest crime ridden dump in the United States next to Detroit. Everything downtown is closed by 5 p.m.......the police dept. recruits out of town and out of state. It ain't that much bigger either....I'd feel safer walking down any street in Phoenix and it's surrounding areas, than the
"safest" places in Houston. And it's pretty polluted too....L.A. is nothing more than a cespool, and should be nuked.
I was about to say something similar:; I wouldn't be proud to say "wow" I live in Houston or Los Angeles" they are both "great". I was raised in Los Angeles area and lived 13 years in Texas, both cities do little for me..

Cities to no have to be at the top of these stats to be wonderful places to live, to raise kids, to retire, or whatever.
Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area