Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 02:20 PM

9 posts, read 66,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
Unless you live in raw, untamed desert, you should have absolutely no problem. I've seen only one tarantula--poolside in Sedona. I've seen only one scorpion--came in on the Christmas tree which was promptly returned. I've never seen a rattler or sidewinder--except the Arizona Diamondbacks, if that counts. To avoid all of these, its best to live in established areas away from desert washes and open spaces.
ok isn't all of AZ raw untamed desert??
i live in central phx and have at least one scorpion in my house a week during the summer. They are less in the winter. One rattler, I have seen several king or bull snakes in the 3 years we have been in this house, not yet big spiders. My daughter(6) has been stung by a scorpion and yes it is less than a wasp sting. At my house it isn't a question of if we are going to be stung but when. Yes the first one you see will keep you up at night but you get over it. My friends son has been stung 5 times, oh well life goes on. Living here for my whole life I never hear complains about the bugs, it the heat, hands down. It is so hot you have to wear oven mits just to open your screen door. They wrap the door handles at circle k. Just stay inside from april until october
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2007, 02:58 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,115,410 times
Shhh, dont tell people that there are scorpions in central areas, they wont believe you. LOL

Sounds like your daughter was stung by a Vaejovis species (probably V. spinigerus), theyre common in AZ and their stings are very mild.

Old 03-02-2007, 03:48 PM

647 posts, read 3,331,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal03 View Post
ok I am scared now! Am I going to be terrified to ever let my kids play outside if we move there??
My kids play outside EVERY day here b/c it's always sunny and it never rains. It's fabulous! We go to playgrounds all the time. We swim in our pool in our backyard. We have NEVER seen a scorpian, spider or snake in the over 3 yrs we've been here.

I saw more snakes in VA, and don't even get me started on the disgusting roaches and spiders they have crawling around everywhere in DC and Chicago, and any other big city. Those city roaches gross me out a thousand times more then a scorprian. Just think of all the germs they carry around as they crawl around the sewers under Chicago and up into all those apartment buildings. Blech!!! Yes, I know their bites aren't toxic, but a lot more people have died from germs carried around by roaches and rats then from scorpian bites. And you will see a LOT more rats and roaches in any big city then you will see scorpians in Phoenix. Oh, and try Miami - they've got roaches the size of small dogs there.

Honestly, it's so NOT a problem here. Sadly, sometimes a child is bitten and does die. But the number of kids who die in swimming pools or from falls at the playground or after falling off their bike dwarfs the number who die from scorpian bites. Just get monthly pest service, keep a clean house, and don't dig in wood piles or poke a rattlesnake in the eye with a stick. Use common sense.

Moderator cut: personal - off topic

Last edited by Marka; 03-03-2007 at 03:39 AM..

Old 03-02-2007, 04:29 PM

Whatever.

Spiders in Chicago are not dangerous, a bite from a common house spider here does nothing more than make a tiny red mark. Roaches are a problem EVERYWHERE, more so in the south. PHX has more than its fair share of roaches, and guess what? They ALL have the potential to carry diseases. Snakes in IL are nothing like those in AZ. We do have 4 species of venomous snakes, and all but one species is relegated to the southernmost parts of the state. We have a small population of eastern massassauga rattlesnakes up here, but Ive been on the hunt for them for years and have yet to find evidence of ONE. Last reports of confirmed sightings in Cook and DuPage Co were back in the 80s. Its sad to say, but Im sure theyre all gone due to habitat losses. In AZ, there are dozens upon dozens of venomous snakes, including the most lethal in the states (Mojave rattler: Crotalus scutulatus scutulatus) and dozens of others that can be fatal. If you havent seen one, consider yourself lucky, theyre all over the place! Tucson's fire department receives over 10,000 calls a year (according to Animal Planet who did a documentary on venomous snakes in AZ) to have snakes removed from peoples' property. Count to 10,000 sometime... thats ALOT of snakes! And those are just the ones that are spotted! Ive seen them in my in-laws' yard in Scottsdale not to mention black widows and dozens of scorpions that he said he didnt have a "problem" with. That night alone I found well over 20, in a short one hour search with a blacklight. They also found one more in the pool and one in my BIL's bathroom. Oh, and a solifugid (sun spider/windscorpion) on the wall too.

Old 03-02-2007, 04:31 PM

Oh yeah, scorpions dont "bite" either. LOL Its impossible to die from a scorpion bite. Trust me when I say that there are scorpions EVERYWHERE in AZ, they are. Just because you havent seen one doesnt mean theyre not there. Ive been in IL for 30 years now and I havent seen a tornado (not even close), but that doesnt mean that we dont have them and it doesnt mean that you can say its "safe" either.

Old 03-02-2007, 04:40 PM

6 posts, read 19,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenol View Post
ok isn't all of AZ raw untamed desert??
i live in central phx and have at least one scorpion in my house a week during the summer. They are less in the winter. One rattler, I have seen several king or bull snakes in the 3 years we have been in this house, not yet big spiders. My daughter(6) has been stung by a scorpion and yes it is less than a wasp sting. At my house it isn't a question of if we are going to be stung but when. Yes the first one you see will keep you up at night but you get over it. My friends son has been stung 5 times, oh well life goes on. Living here for my whole life I never hear complains about the bugs, it the heat, hands down. It is so hot you have to wear oven mits just to open your screen door. They wrap the door handles at circle k. Just stay inside from april until october
This post is right on the money! People who live here do not complain about bugs. I have been here a very long time and have NEVER heard anyone say they want to leave because of scorpions or rattlesnakes. It's the heat that is the topic of conversation. It's the heat that will drive you nuts by October of each year. The bug thing gets way to much exposure on this forum. Sweat the real thing. Worry about how you will take the heat year after year.

Old 03-02-2007, 05:47 PM

34 posts, read 148,271 times
Default Legitimate Fear

As silly as it may sound in theory,there is nothing stupid about it in practice. Please do not take your reservations lightly. I lived in a "home" for more than five years that was situated in an idyllic setting, surrounded by lake and foothills. After one too many encounters with possums, skunks, and a 4 member fox family, I became too afraid to venture onto my own grounds. Many of the things I love to do... midnight swims, entertaining under the stars, gardening, etc. were no longer enjoyable and quickly became drudgery. I limited much of my outdoor activity to second floor balconies where I knew "the critters" weren't likely to venture. I felt like a fool, sure. But I was never able to overcome the fear. I now live where I see only an occasional squirrel, rabbit, cat and dogs on leashes. I am not bothered by them at all because none of them have locked their beady little eyes with mine and acted as though they are going to pounce on the back of my head and lash their claws across my brow. Quality of life means a lot and you want to live your best life. When it comes to "home", your house is your sanctuary and you should be comfortable. Be sure to weigh your every concern carefully. Make the best choices FOR YOU that you can. You do not want to be afraid on your own home turf. Believe me, fear causes a part of YOU to stop breathing.

Old 03-02-2007, 10:43 PM

647 posts, read 3,331,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Oh yeah, scorpions dont "bite" either. LOL Its impossible to die from a scorpion bite. Trust me when I say that there are scorpions EVERYWHERE in AZ, they are. Just because you havent seen one doesnt mean theyre not there. Ive been in IL for 30 years now and I havent seen a tornado (not even close), but that doesnt mean that we dont have them and it doesnt mean that you can say its "safe" either.
Moderator cut: personal - off topic

I will say, for what feels like the one millionth time, I have never said they're not here. I have agreed that they're here and I have agreed that some people might have problems with them. What I HAVE said is that they are NOT the problem that you, someone who does NOT even live here in this state, make them out to be.

At this point, rather then continuing to repeat myself and argue with you, I'm just going to agree to disagree with you and move on, and hope that people who are interested in moving here will do their own research using additional sources and come visit Phoenix to see for themselves.

Last edited by Marka; 03-03-2007 at 03:40 AM..

Old 03-03-2007, 11:33 AM

56 posts, read 297,859 times
Default bugs

I have lived in AZ for the past 12 years.
Don't worry about the bugs. People don't realize, it is basically because they don't do pest control (there is organic pest control also) why they generally have bugs. If you do pest control, you might have some, but not so many. It has never been a hudge problem for me. The bugs come in also through the toilett. What helps is to flush down chlorine once in a while, and if you have bugs, they will be likely gone.

Worry about heat, air pollution, dry, always boring sun shine etc.
I personally don't recommend it at all.
I personally think Tuscon has better energy also.

Old 03-07-2007, 01:11 PM

216 posts, read 907,809 times
Steve-O,
If we move to AZ, will you please be my neighbor???? Great informative info!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area