U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 06:57 AM

2,441 posts, read 3,897,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxpnkdrummer05xx View Post
Last friday, i was heading down to ASU with a few friends from california. when i got flashed before i even got to the city. I was going about 87 and the speed limit is 75 and no traffic. it was about 11:30 at night. I think its ridiculous that there are so many cameras. So, i was wondering what i should do...I've been reading alot of these post and people say to ignore them because your out of state. but i also read that you might get served in person if you do. so if i can get any input on this, that would be great.

How long does it take for the ticket to be mail???
You could have actually gone to jail for going 87 in a 75. Going more than 10 miles an hour over the posted 75 MPH is considered "criminal speeding" in this state. You're lucky you didn't actually get pulled over by an actual police officer, or things could have been much worse. In my opinion, your speed should not exceed 80 in a 75. I know some people have this urge to always go 10 miles an hour over the posted speed limit. In Arizona that's really not a smart idea.

Your ticket will arrive within two weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 12:13 PM

5,140 posts, read 6,354,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uconn99 View Post
Why in many parts of Europe, including the German autobahan is speed a non issue? Are there more crashes there? Please show me some statistics.
Speed is absolutely an issue in Germany. You're missing the point entirely.

Germany manages the problem from the top down. Inertia being what it is, speed kills people. It's as simple as that. But it only kills people that crash. Germany puts efforts into keeping accidents from happening so that people don't get into the situation to begin with. They educate drivers very highly, and require strict vehicle standards. They enforce highway violations very strictly (there are speed limits on the Autobahn, just not everywhere). They yank driving privileges for boozers and violators, much worse than in this country. People are courteous because that's how it has to be, to work properly. Everyday people take cars and driving much more seriously. You don't get much petty BS where idiots refuse to relinquish the left lane, teaching traffic behind them a lesson. And make no mistake; when accidents do happen on the Autobahn, they're pretty bad. But they don't happen as often, because Germany's entire motor vehicle system, is managed much better.

The United States manages the problem from the bottom, up. We let anything and everything on the road, and make jokes about traffic laws and how we break them. We have the attitude that being safety conscious is a favor to society. Someone tears down the interstate watching TV in his prized off-road pickup, dog-tracking across every pavement imperfection at 90mph, spent beer cans and trash swirling around in the bed, girlfriend resting her feet proudly upon the passenger side airbag. People drive around with grinding brakes, bald tires, loose ball joints, blown out suspension, and every other imaginable combination of automotive horrors. Our requirements? An intact windshield, a little insurance, and reasonably clean emissions. Hey, it's a free country after all. People are "too lazy" to do something as easy as using a turn signal, considering it a "courtesy" as opposed to a requirement. The left lane is "won" and then "held" until the person in it, decides to do the world a favor by moving over. The US lets anyone get a license with little instruction. Then we require mandatory minimum insurance, so when the inevitable accident does occur, someone gets paid for it, at least partially.

Germany has occasional idiots, but their highways don't resemble the free-for-all that we have. It's not just about fast cars in Germany. It's about how all cars are driven, and how the flow of traffic works for vehicles that are driven at different speeds. German roads aren't utopia, but Germans seem to have much more consistent driving habits than what we see here. And in my experience, they take it a lot more seriously.

The bottom line is, the highway systems in the US and Germany are managed from different ends, and are not comparable. What Germany has, can't work here without a total overhaul of drivers, roads, and equipment.

Last edited by 43north87west; 11-25-2008 at 01:32 PM..

Old 11-25-2008, 01:05 PM

3,546 posts, read 4,664,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Germany has occasional idiots, but their highways don't resemble the free-for-all that we have. It's not just about fast cars in Germany. It's about how all cars are driven, and how the flow of traffic works for vehicles that are driven at different speeds. German roads aren't utopia, but Germans seem to have much more consistent driving habits than what we see here. And in my experience, they take it a lot more seriously.

The bottom line is, the highway systems in the US and Germany are managed from different ends, and are not comparable. What Germany has, can't work here without a total overhaul of drivers, roads, and equipment.
You make some excellent points. However, the U.S. in general is entirely different from Germany and other European countries ... culturally, economically, and otherwise. For some reason, a lot of Americans like extensive sprawl to the point where they spend a great deal of time commuting to work, running errands, etc. But most people dislike spending all that time commuting in traffic ... so they tend to drive faster to save time. The problem, however, isn't speed, but other factors, such as "multi tasking" behind the wheel (chatting on cell phones, reading, applying makeup, dealing with the unruly kids, etc.). THOSE are the menaces on the roads ... not the ones who are attentive but happen to drive faster.

Another problem is that many Americans think driving is some kind of Constitutional right, and that it's highly important to obtain a license at age 16. I've always found that attitude to be highly ridiculous. Driving is a privilege ... not a right. But here in the U.S., we treat driving as if it were a matter of life or death. We think it's horrible if a 16 year old doesn't have a car. I've said for a long time that there should be an age limit. Raise the legal driving age to 18, and you'd see the accident rate decline as well as our insurance rates. In addtion, there would be fewer vehicles on the roads ... not a huge percentage, but any kind of reduction in congestion helps.

Old 11-25-2008, 01:07 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,625,980 times
We need to all give up cars and transport ourselves in big round balls of bubble wrap, that way if there is an accident you will just bounce right off each other..

Old 11-25-2008, 01:38 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,784,283 times
Just make it a felony to left-lane squat and enforce it. Ditto for cell phone chatters and texters. Make them ride a motorcycle for a year after they get out of jail. That would thin the heard and those who made it through would have a new appreciation for driver awareness.

Old 11-25-2008, 02:14 PM

674 posts, read 1,537,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegirlinaz View Post
We need to all give up cars and transport ourselves in big round balls of bubble wrap, that way if there is an accident you will just bounce right off each other..
I'd support that.

Old 11-25-2008, 02:16 PM

674 posts, read 1,537,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
You could have actually gone to jail for going 87 in a 75. Going more than 10 miles an hour over the posted 75 MPH is considered "criminal speeding" in this state. You're lucky you didn't actually get pulled over by an actual police officer, or things could have been much worse. In my opinion, your speed should not exceed 80 in a 75. I know some people have this urge to always go 10 miles an hour over the posted speed limit. In Arizona that's really not a smart idea.

Wrong. Maybe if he was traveling at 96+ in a 75 limit.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:07 AM

5,128 posts, read 6,304,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegirlinaz View Post
I see people everyday who probably think they are riding in a big bubble!
So, we are to give in to the inattentive idiots who lack skills or should never be given a drivers license in the first place by riding in bubbles?
Imho, mankind is headed towards something in between the movies Idiocracy and WALL-e.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
Just make it a felony to left-lane squat and enforce it. Ditto for cell phone chatters and texters. Make them ride a motorcycle for a year after they get out of jail. That would thin the heard and those who made it through would have a new appreciation for driver awareness.
Amen to that! Cagers have no idea what real driver/dirving 'awareness' is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPower123 View Post
Wrong. Maybe if he was traveling at 96+ in a 75 limit.
I agree, 20+mph was considered a felony last time I checked.

Old 11-26-2008, 11:11 AM
RCR

259 posts, read 540,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uconn99 View Post
Excuse me, but going 87 is not dangerous. As long as you are driving a car in good shape with everything in working order, including good tires (Like the law says you should) driving 87 is not dangerous. Experience and driving skill do help (which a lot of people do not have).

Even more people think they have the skills but don't.

Old 11-26-2008, 11:20 AM
RCR

259 posts, read 540,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post

Not quite...... Criminal speeding is anything 25mph above the posted limit OR over 85mph.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area