U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 12:02 PM

3,158 posts, read 5,695,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
it's amazing to me people keep parroting the same old tired lines - would you be open to police randomly stopping by your home on their patrols just to look around, after all assuming you have nothing to hide you should have no concerns right?

read the thread and you'll see why some of us with zero record of any traffic infractions care very deeply about such things
But that is not the same thing. I mentioned this earlier, and maybe you already replied back to it, but the speed cameras aren't recording our every move. They only snap your picture if you go over the speed limit. I have no problem with that.

How is the police randomly stopping by the same thing? The cameras aren't randomly taking your picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
i'd be much more accepting of a toll on a freeway then I would these lousy cameras

i don't like metered spots and rarely park at them, but when I do it's a decision I make, the machines are maintained by public authority, i fully understand the rules and have a legit ticket served to me on site that I can then defend myself against in court against an actual government employee who cited me

also you will note that these machines also malfunction - however, people have been able to contest tickets and win when they believe they've been wronged

also the ticket is much less severe to individuals
Ok let's see if I understand what you said...

First, you'd be alot more accepting of a toll then the cameras. Like I said, why not look at the cameras as a toll. If you want to go over 75 MPH (in a 65 zone), the toll is $200 (or whatever the ticket is). That's the way I see it.

The parking meters...you say it's a decision you make whether to park there or not and to risk possibly a ticket. Who's decision is it then when you go over the allowed speed limit? Is it not yours?

And the final line I guess really shows the real problem. You think the punishment is too harsh. If the tickets for speeding were $20, you'd be ok with it? I think they are fine and I think most are too lenient which is why people risk doing it. Think about if you go say 100MPH, you would probably end up directly in jail..so most people don't risk it. They risk going 80-85 because they know even if they get fined, it's not that bad. It's like the DUI laws. They are very strict, and that's a good thing. If all you got was a $300 fine for DUI, don't you think a lot more people would risk it? I know I would...but a big deterrent, aside from getting in an accident, is the fact that it would cost me thousands of dollars and jail time.

Old 12-12-2008, 12:17 PM

8,156 posts, read 8,930,607 times
it's not though and i'm absolutely not OK with any fine for citations issued by a private vendor with little recourse to fight it

once again - cameras malfunction

cameras do not equal DUI laws which are enforced by public officers, upon review of circumstances and field trials and eventually tried in the court of law

cameras do not equal parking meters, which are citations handed out by public authority, which have a clear manner to contest in a court of law

and my equation does stand in the fact that both would be a violation of due process and shows how low thinking the "if you aren't doing it, what do you care" really is

so to be clear - i'm not equating a speed camera photo to a random search by a police officer ......... what I am stating is that the logic of it can only affect those who are breaking the law is similar and faulty

Old 12-12-2008, 10:47 PM

3,879 posts, read 5,763,698 times
well looks like i was a victim to these photo radar camera's. I found a trick that will legally trigger them and shoot you for going the speed limit. Go 5 mph over the speed limit and then slow down to the speed limit after the first line and before the 2nd line, once you pass the second line, going the speed limit, you get flashed. This is the new camera on the I-10 by Phoenix college going west bound.

Your caught "speeding" even though you are going the speed limit. Sounds like a certain company is taking advantage of a bad situation.

I honestly didn't care about the cameras because we would just go the speed limit on the highway, but my wife is pissed and i feel violated, like the many thrown in jail accused of a crime they didn't commit.

Old 12-13-2008, 08:39 AM

140 posts, read 295,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post
well looks like i was a victim to these photo radar camera's. I found a trick that will legally trigger them and shoot you for going the speed limit. Go 5 mph over the speed limit and then slow down to the speed limit after the first line and before the 2nd line, once you pass the second line, going the speed limit, you get flashed. This is the new camera on the I-10 by Phoenix college going west bound.

Your caught "speeding" even though you are going the speed limit. Sounds like a certain company is taking advantage of a bad situation.

I honestly didn't care about the cameras because we would just go the speed limit on the highway, but my wife is pissed and i feel violated, like the many thrown in jail accused of a crime they didn't commit.
Thank you for proving that the speed camera proponents argument that if you don't speed you won't get a ticket. 99.9% of people who drive a car speed. Going 27 in a 25 down your residential street is speeding. Not slowing down for a speed limit drop is speeding. Pulling out from a side street, not knowing the limit, and going 40 and then seeing a 35MPH sign is speeding. Unless you are driving 14MPH all the time (That should cover it), at some point you are breaking the law. And even if you always follow the law, these systems are electronic and mechanical. You cannot seriously think they are 100% accurate. They malfunctioned before in Scottsdale and gave bogus tickets out, and it took heaven and earth and someone complaining before they fixed it. I have heard that they are already to the point of putting the mobile vans in the most profitable areas (where the speed limit drops and if you are distracted for a bit. Perhaps focusing on avoiding an accident instead of your speed). Good luck if you think following the law will mean no tickets. As soon as I heard about the statewide rollout, I invested in a GPS camera detector to complement the radar detector I already had. It's the only way to truly protect yourself.

Old 12-13-2008, 12:13 PM

723 posts, read 1,357,187 times
Why is there such a need to speed? I mean really - what's the hurry to get nowhere?

I admit I drive a little over the speed limit sometimes too, but why are you people so unwilling to accept responsibility for your actions when you drive more than 10 over???????

If ya break the law, ya pay the fine. Same with any other traffic violation.

Old 12-13-2008, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post

You won't get a ticket if that is what honestly happened.

The camera footage is reviews by live people before a ticket is issued. I know someone that works for the company that runs the cameras and they explained that what happens is that the cameras actually record a few seconds of video which is then reviewed by 3 seperate people. They look at the situation to see who was actually speeding (say someone speeds by you and you get caught in the picture too). They also have a reading of the actual speed you were going.

Old 12-13-2008, 01:23 PM

3,879 posts, read 5,763,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
You won't get a ticket if that is what honestly happened.

The camera footage is reviews by live people before a ticket is issued. I know someone that works for the company that runs the cameras and they explained that what happens is that the cameras actually record a few seconds of video which is then reviewed by 3 seperate people. They look at the situation to see who was actually speeding (say someone speeds by you and you get caught in the picture too). They also have a reading of the actual speed you were going.
We will see. I hope your right.

Old 12-13-2008, 01:54 PM

4,403 posts, read 3,424,555 times
The speed cameras have lowered the quality of life here for me. Not that I'm a speeder (I walk to work) but now I feel violated and I can't go anywhere without being watched or tracked. It's bad enough for me to consider living elsewhere. It used to be you could go 65-70 on the 51 and while fast, nobody was really causing trouble. I never have had difficulty on the roads here. Now, you see the flash up ahead and everybody puts the brakes on, slows down, passes the camera, then speeds up. That's not safe. It's not safer with the cameras. It's just richer for the police. Expletive them and give me my privacy back!

Old 12-13-2008, 01:55 PM

1,885 posts, read 1,959,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
This article that appeared in Sunday's Republic is worth reading:
Rebellion mounting vs. speed cameras

This is the best part:

Gee, what a novel idea!!! Imagine if the morons in the Legislature and our dictator Governor Napolitano actually decided to CUT SPENDING. There wouldn't be this massive budget deficit, and there would be no need to install these ridiculous cameras, which are only in place to increase revenue for the state coffers. Just think: if the Governor and the Legislature actually balanced the budget, maybe the state could hire more DPS officers to patrol the highways ... instead of these retarded looking robot cams!
Yep! balance the budget~ 1. cut all road construction
2. cut all fire departments out
3. cut all police officers
4. get rid of the airports~ they suck up a lotta money!
5. get rid of all th water and sewer systems~ cause you do not want them!
now we are a lot closer ta balancing the budget!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area