Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moved from New Jersey to Phoenix Arizona, enjoy Arizona weather, baseball, outdoor activities, low property tax rates, active lifestyle in Arizona

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 08:54 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,631,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepTheLeg View Post
Dennis -

As someone who was contemplating a move from Central Jersey to the Valley, I say good on you. I had a long heart-to-heart with the wife, and she just wasn't ready to move 2500 miles away. We like to visit, but she's afraid of being so far away from her family.

I can understand and respect that, although my retort was, "but you hate your family!"

You can buy Pork Roll online at Buy Original Taylor Ham, Taylor and Trenton Pork Roll,* Sabretts, Tastykakes, Salt Water Taffy, Fudge, Habbersett Scrapple, and More! - $19.00 for 4 boxes, which breaks down to about a dollar more per box than you'd buy it for in shop-rite.

BTW, as a cooking tip - Pork Roll is quick and easy on a foreman grill!

Also, do you have DirecTV? If you get DirecTV you should be able to get SNY, MSG, and YES so you can watch your teams from here.

That helped a lot. I am from CT and I was afraid i'd miss my Mets, but with the MLB package from DirectTV you get 6 games /week. It always seemed like the never broadcasted a Saturday game.

The time change made it a little tough but If you get desprate, just TIVO it

I love it here too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2008, 12:46 PM

35 posts, read 98,791 times
Default I guess I'll have to report back after 12 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
lol exactly, who on earth wouldnt love the past 2 months. I always said, if you have enough money that you can save, and be comfortable, Anyplace is great, no matter what the weather. I have to ammend that however, as this place becomes SOOOOO hot it actually affects your bottom line. AC is expensive here, and running your car with AC cost more too. In summer, I seem to either be freezing inside, or baking my tail off outside. I would drive to San Diego, just to get away from it. Im in sales, and lot of people with money vanish for 6 months of the year because of the heat.

I laugh at the "ITS A DRY HEAT" comments. Ask any burn victim in intensive care burn units it they were burned by wet heat. (other that those burned by scalding water I suppose).

I cant even sleep anymore with out at least a fan on in the room, it feels to quiet, and Im used to the hum.

I'll let you know after the Summer. That stated I was aware that this is a desert and think we'll be fine working around it.

Old 11-28-2008, 12:58 PM

35 posts, read 98,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepTheLeg View Post
Dennis -

As someone who was contemplating a move from Central Jersey to the Valley, I say good on you. I had a long heart-to-heart with the wife, and she just wasn't ready to move 2500 miles away. We like to visit, but she's afraid of being so far away from her family.

I can understand and respect that, although my retort was, "but you hate your family!"

You can buy Pork Roll online at Buy Original Taylor Ham, Taylor and Trenton Pork Roll,* Sabretts, Tastykakes, Salt Water Taffy, Fudge, Habbersett Scrapple, and More! - $19.00 for 4 boxes, which breaks down to about a dollar more per box than you'd buy it for in shop-rite.

BTW, as a cooking tip - Pork Roll is quick and easy on a foreman grill!

Also, do you have DirecTV? If you get DirecTV you should be able to get SNY, MSG, and YES so you can watch your teams from here.
Thanks for the tip on Taylor Ham and Direct TV!

It was tough not being "home" in NJ for Thanksgiving. I talked to family and at least a couple of them are planning to come out and visit, during winter/early Spring to beat the weather. It turns out although I obviously don't see them as often now, when we do talk it turns out the conversations are a little more real, or at least about more than just sports, etc. I have heard from others and am starting to think myself that relationships with family can grow stronger when you're away. Still its tougher on the kids who miss their cousins.

I plan to visit NJ in late July/early August. Perfect timing to escape the heat for a while anyway, and to catch some waves down the shore, while catching up with family & friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area