Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 08:29 PM

824 posts, read 2,327,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
"Have you tried, Summer Winds, Berridge, Baker's, or Harper's Nurseries?They all used to carry Diamatious Earth.
Dave the Garden Guy at Poco Verde carries the stuff: Garden Guy"
The few places that I checked either did not have it or sold it in smaller quantities that were far more expensive than 50 pounds for $55. If you are doing the perimeter of a house, small bags just do not cut it. But there may very well be places that sell it at a lower rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 08:39 PM

124 posts, read 507,682 times
I feel really sorry for you, we have the same problem and it really can impact your day to day life. We have found 12 bark scorpions in our house since Aug. I do not like to think of the ones we have not found!

I am also new to the area and I am not used to seeing scorpions around, let alone in our house...this is how I deal with and try to prevent myself from going nuts!

We shake bedding every night and have moved the bed away from, we stop the pillows and sheets from touching the wall at night this is to prevent what we have termed the scorpion bridge.

Check shoes and towels and I tend not to put my hand in any cupboard that I cannot see.

We bought DE from a nursery in Surprise. The name was something Moon -the bags were I think $10. I DE'd the perimeter of the house and garage.

We also bought a black light from Cabelas, it makes me feel better checking the house at night, they glow really well under black light.

We also go sticky pads from Walmart that we placed along the wall and in the corners in the house. They are really cheap, maybe 6 pads for under $2 and it is this method that catches the most scorpions.

I understand that a lot of people could not live like us with the evening black lighting event and the numerous sticky pads throughout our house, however I have to do something and will try anything to prevent living with them.

People have their fears, scorpions is one of mine!

Good luck

Old 11-26-2008, 09:00 PM

44,546 posts, read 61,236,501 times
You must be in a newer developed area where they normally nested and bred. I've been here over 40 years in town and have only seen 2 scorpions in all that time and that's been 20+ years ago.
You should seal all the openings in and around your house, especially around the footing areas. You may want a professional exterminating company come out one time and do a 100% inside and outside job, then follow up with a DYI kit from one of the Garden Centers every 6 months.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:50 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,119,705 times
I want to know if people are really sure theyre bark scorpions and not some other harmless species...

If youre really paranoid about scorpions and dont want them in bed with you, put the legs of the bed in glass jars, scorpions cant climb glass. Other than that, changing your landscaping to a xeric style wont get rid of scorpions. Basically, they can live basically anywhere they see fit.

Old 11-26-2008, 11:08 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,740,360 times
I would venture to say that you live in a new development. I have never seen a scorpion in my house ever and Im a native. this is another reason to avoid areas that were desert less then 5 years ago.

Old 11-27-2008, 11:01 AM

124 posts, read 507,682 times
The house I live in was built in 2000, so apparently 8 year old house can have a scorpion problem- I know they are bark as Steve-o confirmed this for me. I do however live in Estrella and back onto the hills but it wasn’t until Aug we started spotting them.

Old 11-27-2008, 02:49 PM

44,546 posts, read 61,236,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
The few places that I checked either did not have it or sold it in smaller quantities that were far more expensive than 50 pounds for $55. If you are doing the perimeter of a house, small bags just do not cut it. But there may very well be places that sell it at a lower rate.
You only need 5 maybe up to 10 lbs for the perimeter of your house. That stuff goes a long ways and you don need to put it on thick.

Old 11-27-2008, 04:23 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,551,181 times
I didn't think scorpions like grassy lawn areas. I thought xeriscaping would make it a habitat more to their liking.

Case in point: I lived in south scottsdale for a few years along the greenbelt. I never heard of scorpion problems there. Then in Ahwatukee near my place there is a desert area that is hilly. Scorpions all over. This is an apartment complex. My sister and I shared an apartment and she encouraged me to get a cat. You did not have to pay for cats because they get rid of scorpions. Try that!

Personally I have to find a happy home for my cat. I mostly travel for my work, but in one spot at a time. Currently I work in LA. I have problems with roaches. The cat does not kill them. But roaches are attracted to the cat food. Spraying is not good because it will contaminate the cat food. I have to wash the utensils BEFORE, as well as after I eat with them. i'm trying a new tactic - feed the cat on the balcony and only have food out an hour at a time. This won't help on the weekends that I go back home, but most of the time it will discourage the roaches.

Old 11-28-2008, 12:23 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,119,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Roark View Post
I didn't think scorpions like grassy lawn areas. I thought xeriscaping would make it a habitat more to their liking.
Grass requires water, which can attract scorpions and other bugs which scorpions feed on. Scorpions live in MANY states in this nation. Theyre mostly concentrated in xeric areas, but also found in many mesic states (ie Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, even southern Illinois). Grass or not, scorpions will be around.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:08 AM

6 posts, read 21,860 times
These are most definitely bark scorpions, and the house was built in the late 80s, so it's an established area.

I was under the impression that a lush yard full of plantlife attracts a plenitude of insects, scorpion food. By removing the food, you displace the scorpions. Is there at least some truth to this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area