Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

I'm from NY, a post grad moving to AZ. Tell me about the housing market in phoenix and Scottsdale homes.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 10:41 PM

5 posts, read 15,107 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,
Im new to this board and want to start by saying this website has been an amazing tool and resource for me in my planning and travels. i'll just throw my scenario out there. I am a 22 year old college grad from NY. I am absolutely in love with AZ. everything about it fits me and am planning on moving there within a year. I have visited probably 6-7 times and just recently got back from a 67 day road trip( zig-zagged from az to west coast and back to NY totaling 9000 miles in all.) most of which was in AZ so im very familiar with the state and all of its aspects. (climate, roads, general feel etc.) I am pretty certain that i want to move to either the tempe area or central phx area. I was just recently out there and tested for various police depts as that is the career i want to pursue. currently it is just a matter of saving up enough money to move and a cushion for the first couple months of possibvle unemployment. I want to move out there regardless of getting the police jobs. i am very motivated and am willing ( and want) to work 50-60 hr weeks in order to get settled. Can anyone give me advise in terms of how much moeny they think is necessary as a buffer for such a move. Not including the actual move( driving from ny, gas, etc) but things like rent, safety deposit, furninshing a place getting adjusted) etc..additionally i am currently a personal trainer but have worked dozens of jobs and could do any sort of work( labor, bartend, fitness etc) ive read a couple of posts regarding jobs and ppl seem to agree that its tight out there and its a gamble to move without a job lined up. is this accurate?, any help would be appreciated..
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2008, 12:34 AM

219 posts, read 779,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azsun View Post
Hey guys,
Im new to this board and want to start by saying this website has been an amazing tool and resource for me in my planning and travels. i'll just throw my scenario out there. I am a 22 year old college grad from NY. I am absolutely in love with AZ. everything about it fits me and am planning on moving there within a year. I have visited probably 6-7 times and just recently got back from a 67 day road trip( zig-zagged from az to west coast and back to NY totaling 9000 miles in all.) most of which was in AZ so im very familiar with the state and all of its aspects. (climate, roads, general feel etc.) I am pretty certain that i want to move to either the tempe area or central phx area. I was just recently out there and tested for various police depts as that is the career i want to pursue. currently it is just a matter of saving up enough money to move and a cushion for the first couple months of possibvle unemployment. I want to move out there regardless of getting the police jobs. i am very motivated and am willing ( and want) to work 50-60 hr weeks in order to get settled. Can anyone give me advise in terms of how much moeny they think is necessary as a buffer for such a move. Not including the actual move( driving from ny, gas, etc) but things like rent, safety deposit, furninshing a place getting adjusted) etc..additionally i am currently a personal trainer but have worked dozens of jobs and could do any sort of work( labor, bartend, fitness etc) ive read a couple of posts regarding jobs and ppl seem to agree that its tight out there and its a gamble to move without a job lined up. is this accurate?, any help would be appreciated..
thanks
I just moved out here in June as a 23 year old college grad from New York, and I like to hear more and more young, educated people are excited to move to the Phoenix area. I found a number of job opportunities and all in all, the move cost me $8000. That included moving my car out here, airfare, buying all new furniture, first months' rent, etc. That is if you have a job lined up, which I would recommend.

I came very close to moving out here without a job, and honestly I would have been ok, because employers like to see you have an Arizona address. I didnt, and it made it much more difficult to find a job from out-of-state.

It is a big change from NY, but if you're used to suburban life, as I was, the change isn't nearly as dramatic as people make it seem. The lack of a true identity here helped me get acclimated with Arizona, because everybody here has their own backgrounds and cultures and this made it easier for me to fit in. People here are very accepting of outsiders. Even though, I love California, I feel California has such a distinct personality and culture, I always feel out-of-place there. Arizona really doesnt have that ubiquity, which, to me, made it easier to adjust.

I enjoy living in Tempe, and if you're like me, enjoy nightlife and partying, I would highly, highly recommend Tempe over central Phoenix. Personally, I dont even know why you would ever consider central Phoenix, unless you're talking about the Biltmore area or the Arcadia district, which can get relatively pricey. I would even recommend Scottsdale or Chandler, over central Phoenix. I think in terms of nightlife, women, and affordable living, Tempe is the place to be....just dont expect much in terms of scenery, Tempe is arguably the least scenic area in Arizona.

Old 11-28-2008, 12:52 AM

919 posts, read 3,395,257 times
A basic 1 bedroom apartment will run from $600-900/MO Fancier ones will go for a bit more. Lots of places have specials with deals on rent, deposits, etc. - It all depends on supply and demand. Look on the apartments section of Craiglist to get a better idea.

You don't have to furnish a place all at once or with new stuff. Plus you might be moving again once more settled, so you don't want to spend loads on couches and things until you find a more permanent place and can match the layout.

But really it seems the best thing you can do is rent a room for a while from someone who already has a place. It's cheaper rent wise, you need not have to furnish a whole abode, and if you plan on working tons, you simply need a place to crash. A lot of renters also include utilities and such in the payment, so your costs are more fixed each month. Again check CL, but under the rooms section.

Old 11-28-2008, 03:15 AM

20 posts, read 38,542 times
Hey peeps,
Im 23 and am graduating from UW-Madison next semester (May 2009) and I got a sales job in Phoenix for next year. Im excited and will be moving down to Phoenix in June!

I have been looking over these forums, I've also been talking to friends that have gone to ASU or are from Phoenix, friends that are graduating college from the midwest and moving down to Phoenix, as well as people that live there now.

I think central Phoenix would be really cool. I have also talked to lots of people that said central PHX is up and coming and it is right on the light rail. I would like the idea of being able to walk to Suns and Diamondbacks games, Arizona Center, and to also live right downtown and enjoy it without having to drive. I also would like the the possibility of living in a high rise and getting the inner city urban living feel that you can get in Chicago, Boston, NY..etc

AZsun when when would you be moving down there, in January?
When I move down I think living with a roommate would be much more enjoyable than living alone. Let me know what areas you are looking at and if you're looking at downtown.

I would be looking to spend max 800/mo, hopefully getting a decent deal on a place now that the housing market is weak. I think there are 2br condos in high rises that could be rented downtown with the weak housing market for 1500.
This site has a lot of the downtown hires and apartments:
Downtown Phoenix Condos - Phoenix Lofts (http://www.azcondofinder.com/downtown_phoenix_condos.html - broken link)

Also, here is the light rail info:
Valley Metro | Welcome (http://www.valleymetro.org/metro_light_rail/ - broken link)

Old 11-28-2008, 11:19 PM

hey guys, thanks for the feedback. NYTOPHX i def consider the tempe area as a possible location if not a probable one. I am definately on the same track as you in terms of nightlife. goodlooking women. nightlife. weekend activities etc is a definite reason why i am moving there. I think in terms of the actual move mi endeavor might be cheaper. i am going to be driving my truck out there with most of the bare essentails and pehaps tow a uhaul trailer. and like JONINAZ said i just need a place to crash while i make money since ill prob relocate several times within the first couple of years. where in Ny are you originally from and what kind of work do you do in arizona?.....RAINMAN i think you might be a little high in your estimates of rent. for 1500 you can definately find some really nice 2 BR apts for rent especially if you go a little farther out from the central core. example. there is a place by I-17 and carefree highway, which is way north compared to central phx but just to give an example. they have 2 BR apts that look like 5 start resorts with all the amenities you could ask for for liek 750 a month. no i know its a comute but imagine what your getting (at least compared to what i wopuld be getting in NYC)..

Old 11-29-2008, 01:19 AM

20 posts, read 38,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azsun View Post
RAINMAN i think you might be a little high in your estimates of rent. for 1500 you can definately find some really nice 2 BR apts for rent especially if you go a little farther out from the central core. example. there is a place by I-17 and carefree highway, which is way north compared to central phx but just to give an example. they have 2 BR apts that look like 5 start resorts with all the amenities you could ask for for liek 750 a month. no i know its a comute but imagine what your getting (at least compared to what i wopuld be getting in NYC)..

yea you're right bro. if i decide tempe would be better than spending a bunch of money to live right downtown there are some sick options.

Tempe Condo (http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/apa/933604350.html - broken link)
this place is 2 blocks off Mill ave...the best night life of PHX, 3 blocks from the light rail at mill ave and 3rd, right off the river, everything. also the place is huge and would be just over 500. this def makes me consider tempe...

Old 11-29-2008, 02:11 AM

3,819 posts, read 11,940,499 times
Mill Ave is not the best nightlife in Phoenix.

Old 11-29-2008, 02:39 PM

219 posts, read 779,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Mill Ave is not the best nightlife in Phoenix.
You mean in the Phoenix metro area. Mill Avenue is probably second fiddle to Scottsdale around Fifth Avenue and Stetson off of Scottsdale Road. Very different crowds and prices though. But, Mill Avenue is far superior, in terms of nightlife, to anything in Phoenix.

To the OP, I'm from Westchester, NY and I work as a financial analyst.

Old 11-29-2008, 03:34 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,691,044 times
OP - I would definitely look into getting directv while you're out there. takes the sting out of missing the Yankees and Mets!

Few more things:

There is an IKEA out there, but in my experience, depending on what you get at IKEA, the deals aren't that great.

I don't know how your credit it, but financing your furniture may be another thing to do, but it'll be impossible without a job.

I would recommend getting a nice bed, and a place to eat at, and everything else be plastic or disposable furniture wise. Trust me on the bed. If you're looking to party, you want, at the very least, a nice bed.

Old 11-29-2008, 05:29 PM

sweeptheleg: i def agree. a bed is probably necessity number 1. i slept in campsites and my truck for about 2 months recently and in my opinion a sleeping bag is just fine but try convincing that to a female companian . anyway. most of the things that i really care for id bring. My computer, my books, clothes etc. and i can get creature comforts for pretty cheap ex: dishes silverware pots pans etc at places like walmart or target.( or bring them since im driving there rather than flying. RainMan a polace like that is very similar to the types of places ive been looking at. I know a decent amount of ppl out there but they are already settled. we should continue talking because roomates would def. help with rent, utilities, and the ease ofmoving out.. keep in touch..
also what do you guys think about this approach:
( ill make it brief)- my father spend many years in the tempe area during and after grad school and has always planned on retiring in az. he rents now in brooklyn NY. as a first time buyer i told him to take advantage of the housing crisis and buy a small 2 BR condo somwhere in the valley. Being as he wouldnt be able to afford both his NY rent and an AZ mortgage we have been discussing the possibility of him buying a place that is cheap yet really nice... and I would rent it from him along with maybe a roomate or 2( depending on the size).. this way its being paid off, the plcae stays in the family( id prob inherit it), and my rent money goes to a " good purpos" rather than just some strange landlord.. what do you guys think...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area