Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2008, 09:35 AM

2 posts, read 4,606 times

Advertisements

Hi - I am possibly moving into the area from Colorado. I don't really know much about the Phoenix area outside of downtown (business travel). If I am working in Glendale area, what are the best neighborhoods to live in? I'm not interested in fancy neighborhoods or what is considered "upscale" --but am more interested in something that is convnient to where I'd be working; something that has personality/character (shops, coffee houses, parks) and a "community" feeling. I'm single but am well past my 20's. I konw I probably won't be able to find anythnig with a "college town" feeling to it and have accepted that it's a more urban environment --but, even in urban areas (at least most of the cities I've lived in) there are some good neighborhoods that have either a quaint or funky or ?? atmosphere. I know that Phoenix scores low on the "walkability" scale (I can't post the link due to the rules ...but if you search for walkability score, you'll find the site) but if there are neighborhoods near Glendale where "walking" is possible/pleasant (except in 110 degrees), I'd welcome the information. However, I am not looking for a long commute so finding something close to whre I'm working is a priority for me.

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2008, 09:52 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
not sure if you are looking to own or rent - assuming rent I would probably list the best options as follows:

Westgate City Center - some interesting shops, bars & restaurants along with access to the events at jobing.com and university of phoenix stadiums - right on glendale ave & the 101 with easy access to northern & 101 where there is a nice entertainment spot going up as well

arrowhead - this is around the arrowhead mall area around 83rd and bell - tons of shopping options, some parks in the area, really not super walkable (depending on where you live), but a very convenient established location

Old 11-30-2008, 02:01 PM

2 posts, read 4,606 times
Default Work in Glendale, Live In ??

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I'm interested in renting --at least until I know the area. I've moved a lot of places and have discovered that you really need to see how the rhythm of your life takes shape in a city and get to know a place before you really can "know" which areas you like.

Thanks for the suggestions --I'll definitely check out those areas!

Old 11-30-2008, 03:28 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,217,084 times
As far as walkability goes, somewhere between 63rd & Peoria to, say, 59th and Northern is quite nice. You've got the good sized Saguraro Ranch Park, the Glendale Library, Glendale Community College, a good sized post office, some shopping not too far away (though not necessarily high class stuff.) All of the above is walking distance, even in the heat (and fairly pleasant) in that area. Definitely suburban and not urban, though.

That also puts you only four miles away from Metro Center and I-17. Some neighborhoods in the area are more pleasant than others (you do have some students living in the area for good and ill) and of course those "blocks" I mentioned aren't set in stone, but that's the general area.

Also, if you go south on 59th about three miles from there you're in downtown Glendale (59th & Glendale & Grand), which I believe is trying to revitalize itself. That also crosses Grand Avenue (a.k.a. US60) which is a much more helpful way to get to downtown Phoenix since they put the overpasses in.

The areas I mentioned are older while the areas mentioned by a previous poster are newer, in case you have a preference.

Most "urban" places in Phoenix barely pass for that, just for the record, being more suburban in character with pockets of Business / Commercial centers (accompanied by large parking lots rather than easy walkability) usually every few miles along the freeways. Similar centers not on the freeways tend to be more run down and less successful.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area