Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 02:33 PM

44,569 posts, read 61,347,806 times

Advertisements

All crimes are individual and there are thousands of them in Mexico. At least in the US you have civilized people and rights that you don't have in Mexico.
God forbid one minor slipup and you're thrown into a Mexican jail. And there are thousands of Americans in Mexican jails right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 02:33 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,255,415 times
PS to Sheena -

You shouldn't miss out on the world. It's full of wonderful places and terrific people. Travel makes you a smarter, more well-rounded person who is able to view even your own country in a more accurate and balanced light.

Ken

Old 08-22-2007, 02:48 PM

702 posts, read 3,146,806 times
Our cleaning lady is from Mexico. We live 40 miles from the border. She tells us all kinds of inside stuff about Mexico. She says that you should always carry enough cash so that if you are stopped by the police you can settle the matter with cash. The police stop people randomly for "traffic violations" and they tell the victim that they can either go back to the local police station to pay the fine or take care of it with cash right there.

On another note, we have a huge problem with illegals in our area because of our proximity to the border. Our cleaning lady says that a Mexican makes a hole in the border fence and then charges $200 for anyone who wants to use the hole to enter the US. The Mexican police do not care about illegal entry to the US. The one time that we entered Mexico after going thru Why, AZ we watched while the Mexican police ripped a car apart at the border crossing. According to our cleaning lady that can be settled with cash if illegal things are found. (with guns and ammo being the exception.) That's just a small sampling of the things that happen in Mexico.

Old 08-22-2007, 03:12 PM

hrfd725 -

So, as you can see, everyone has their own comfort zone and there is no right or wrong answer here as these are just peoples points of view. If these folks opinions have scared you off, then go to San Diego. If you want to try something different and feel these fears are overblown then give Rocky Point a try. Either way I suspect you wil have a good time - thousands of people do every year.

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 08-22-2007 at 03:29 PM..

Old 08-22-2007, 03:28 PM
SMG

490 posts, read 1,106,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
Our cleaning lady is from Mexico. We live 40 miles from the border. She tells us all kinds of inside stuff about Mexico. She says that you should always carry enough cash so that if you are stopped by the police you can settle the matter with cash. The police stop people randomly for "traffic violations" and they tell the victim that they can either go back to the local police station to pay the fine or take care of it with cash right there.

On another note, we have a huge problem with illegals in our area because of our proximity to the border. Our cleaning lady says that a Mexican makes a hole in the border fence and then charges $200 for anyone who wants to use the hole to enter the US. The Mexican police do not care about illegal entry to the US. The one time that we entered Mexico after going thru Why, AZ we watched while the Mexican police ripped a car apart at the border crossing. According to our cleaning lady that can be settled with cash if illegal things are found. (with guns and ammo being the exception.) That's just a small sampling of the things that happen in Mexico.
Sounds like your cleaning lady has all of the inside knowledge. I am fifty years old and have frequented alot of online forums. Never have I seen anyone refer to there cleaning lady as much in one post.

Old 08-22-2007, 04:02 PM

12 posts, read 39,856 times
Check out mission beach in san diago that is my all time favorite. On the small waves i learned to surf. Google it you won't regrete it.

Old 08-22-2007, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMG View Post
Sounds like your cleaning lady has all of the inside knowledge. I am fifty years old and have frequented alot of online forums. Never have I seen anyone refer to there cleaning lady as much in one post.
In my opinion you have to go to someone who lives in Mexico to get the real story. Otherwise you get a lot of opinions from people who do not live the actual Mexican life. In other words, "go to the source."

Old 08-22-2007, 04:09 PM

By the way, I am sorry for posting in bold. It makes it look like I am a know-it-all. From now on my posts will not be in bold.

Old 08-22-2007, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
By the way, I am sorry for posting in bold. It makes it look like I am a know-it-all. From now on my posts will not be in bold.
That's OK. I certainly didn't take it personally. Though obviously I disagree with you regarding safety in Mexico, the fact is, these are ALL just opinions and I appreciate your apology (even if I'd don't feel it was necessary). I wish all posters would be as polite.

Ken

Old 08-22-2007, 04:52 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,924,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
PS to Sheena -

You shouldn't miss out on the world. It's full of wonderful places and terrific people. Travel makes you a smarter, more well-rounded person who is able to view even your own country in a more accurate and balanced light.

Ken
I'm getting out there little by little. I moved from a crime index of 3 or 4 to an 8 way across the other side of the country. I've lived in 6 states in my 44 years. That's not too bad.

One of these days I'll visit Italy or if my husband gets his way Cuba
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area