U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 10:34 AM

3,365 posts, read 6,313,429 times

Advertisements

Don't speed, you don't have to worry about it!

I really don't get people's thinking on these speed cameras. I don't like them myself, but I see it as if I don't speed, I won't get a ticket...hasn't it always been that way when a cop pulled you over? Why weren't people saying that was a scam?

Putting the argument that you can't take the camera to court like you would a cop...why are people saying the cameras are a tax on the people without a vote? It's a voluntary tax...if you speed? Again...if a cop pulls you over (leave the court part out of it, this is simply about the fee), then is that a tax too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 10:54 AM

7,978 posts, read 16,191,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
hahahahahha
Travis definitely deserves an award, ELOrocks . . . FOR STUPIDITY!

! ! ! ! ! !

Old 12-05-2008, 10:57 AM

7,978 posts, read 16,191,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joninaz View Post
Since we've apparently given these cameras the same authority to accuse as police officers, shouldn't this guy be charged with assaulting a police officer or attempted murder/actual murder of a law enforcement officer?
Excellent point, joninaz.

"Assault On A Police Officer" applies to Police Dogs, why not Police Cameras?

Old 12-05-2008, 01:22 PM

8,166 posts, read 9,854,482 times
because these cameras aren't actual property of the police or any government agency

"keying" a cruiser would be more of an assault on the police than strapping dynamite to a speed camera

on a side note

who cares if the gov't is tapping your phone, just don't talk about anything incriminating

who cares if they seize your website history - I don't look at illegal stuff, doesn't effect me

who cares if due process is stunted - i'm no criminal, let the criminals worry about that ...... after all, you are a criminal at the point of being charged in America, right?!?

Old 12-05-2008, 01:52 PM

4,589 posts, read 8,909,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
THAT'S AWESOME!!!!!!

Old 12-05-2008, 01:55 PM

4,589 posts, read 8,909,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Don't speed, you don't have to worry about it!

I really don't get people's thinking on these speed cameras. I don't like them myself, but I see it as if I don't speed, I won't get a ticket...hasn't it always been that way when a cop pulled you over? Why weren't people saying that was a scam?

Putting the argument that you can't take the camera to court like you would a cop...why are people saying the cameras are a tax on the people without a vote? It's a voluntary tax...if you speed? Again...if a cop pulls you over (leave the court part out of it, this is simply about the fee), then is that a tax too?
Not always true though......I've been flashed twice and I was not speeding....I've never actually been mailed a ticket but it reallllllyyyyy makes me mad! I then have to sit around for 3 weeks or 14 days wondering if I'm going to have to fight some stupid ticket......it's rediculous....and you know what....If the camera's were not all retarded and could tell the difference between speeding and not speeding I wouldn't care......but they don't so I do

Old 12-05-2008, 06:17 PM

I'm guessing someone else around you was speed and that's why the flash went off, no? Especially if you didn't get a ticket.

I know someone who works for the company who runs these cameras and apparently they don't actually take a picture but actually take a 10 second recording. It's then up to a real person to review the tape and see who the person speeding is, then they take a photo of the film and crop it out. He said it gets reviewed by 3 people for accuracy before a citation is given out.

Old 12-05-2008, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
on a side note

who cares if the gov't is tapping your phone, just don't talk about anything incriminating

who cares if they seize your website history - I don't look at illegal stuff, doesn't effect me

who cares if due process is stunted - i'm no criminal, let the criminals worry about that ...... after all, you are a criminal at the point of being charged in America, right?!?
On a side note, you do realize that there are cameras EVERYWHERE around the city, right? If you've ever noticed along the freeways and at most major intersections, there are cameras that monitor traffic.

How come no one is throwing a fit about those?

Let me guess...because those aren't giving out tickets, right? Which brings me back to my point...people aren't really upset that they are being monitored as you say, only about the fine.

Old 12-05-2008, 06:28 PM

8,166 posts, read 9,854,482 times
those cameras aren't snapping photos of drivers - there is nothing that pinpoints any individual at all

also it's about the individual rights and due process .... with no citation served there is no real action to oppose - they aren't really doing anything except providing a tool to give a live look at congestion, wrecks, etc

would you be OK if the car you purchased had a regulator that wouldn't allow it to go faster than 80mph as a gov't standard?

would you be OK if the police just randomly snooped through you car? - after all, they're always around anyway and no body has a problem with just the presence of police officers

Old 12-05-2008, 06:30 PM

4,231 posts, read 10,760,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
Speed Camera's are a scam.

I second that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area