Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 01:10 AM

725 posts, read 2,322,052 times

Advertisements

I'm still fairly new in the valley, but found these images on the net. I'm really impressed by some of these older neighborhoods.

Are there any citydata posters that live in these areas, and how are things like traffic, parks, schools, and crime rate?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 07:36 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,354,076 times
I don't (unfortuantly) live there, but these are terrific neighborhood, as are most of the central Phx Historic neighborhoods. You have a pic of Encanto park amoung those you posted. . . one of the most spectacular parks in Phoenix. Easy access to South Mountain Park, also. These Historic districts are pricey, but one of the first things I would do, if I could afford it, is to "trade" my house in north Phx for one in Willow, Encanto, or F.Q. Story.

Old 12-07-2008, 07:43 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
I don't (unfortuantly) live there, but these are terrific neighborhood, as are most of the central Phx Historic neighborhoods. You have a pic of Encanto park amoung those you posted. . . one of the most spectacular parks in Phoenix. Easy access to South Mountain Park, also. These Historic districts are pricey, but one of the first things I would do, if I could afford it, is to "trade" my house in north Phx for one in Willow, Encanto, or F.Q. Story.
And there are upcoming older (pre 1960) enclaves here in Phx area well--------especially with the (still) imploding housing market.

Too; more and more of the 'Atomic Age' areas are being quite 'hip' to live in as well. 1950's-60's neighborhoods

Needless to say: if $$$ were no object----------I would take any of the above over N Scottsdale, Ahwatukee (the real South Phoenix ), etc.

Old 12-07-2008, 09:01 AM

173 posts, read 465,372 times
I love those historic neighborhoods as well (nice to get away from the cuttie-cutter style!). But, as AZBear says, they can be very pricey; those that aren't is because they need lots for work.

Crime may (or may not be) higher than in the 'burbs; depends which area you're in. But expect to see homeless people more often, more maintenance, more bug problems, less ammenities (supermarkets are a couple of miles away), etc.

Old 12-07-2008, 09:44 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times
I saw some very inexpensive places near 12th St/E Indian School on realtor.com

Being I am not homophobic I would have no problem living in that area---------it is fast becoming a part of Gay Phoenix. Note that Gay enclaves tend to be quite safe and clean.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:09 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,261,295 times
I almost bought a house in the Encanto area because of its established greenery, and the homes are older, but very well built. Neighborhoods in this area have houses which date back to the 1920s, '30s, and '40s in many cases ... and the quality is far superior to the modern day cookie cutter, tile roofed houses with crushed rock for lawns.

Do any natives and long term residents remember Encanto Park's kiddie land? It was a miniature amusement park. Loved going on the rides when I was a child, even in the summer because the entire park is shaded with lush trees, which adds a cooling effect.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:29 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,764,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I almost bought a house in the Encanto area because of its established greenery, and the homes are older, but very well built. Neighborhoods in this area have houses which date back to the 1920s, '30s, and '40s in many cases ... and the quality is far superior to the modern day cookie cutter, tile roofed houses with crushed rock for lawns.

Do any natives and long term residents remember Encanto Park's kiddie land? It was a miniature amusement park. Loved going on the rides when I was a child, even in the summer because the entire park is shaded with lush trees, which adds a cooling effect.
Yup I remember going on the mini train and havig school field trips there. it was a blast

Old 12-08-2008, 12:48 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,219,584 times
we would do our company picnic there - the amusement area is still there, as well as paddle boats, the train, etc

i really don't think the park is anything special - but to each their own

I dig the neighborhoods though - i sometimes drive through them as a change of pace getting home from work

Old 12-08-2008, 01:11 PM

687 posts, read 2,951,348 times
Central Phx dweller for 10 years, drove past Encanto on 15th ave, and the east border of the neighborhood on 7th avenue almost daily...

The park has gone downhill somewhat, homeless hangout, and forget a peaceful Sunday afternoon with all the picnics, bbq' and birthday parties. I've seen some of these with easily 100 or more people in attendance, loud music...
Encanto neighborhood is still lovely, but west across 15th is very iffy.
Willo is the same, some rough areas within a block. And the freeway is very close.
Garfield, still very rough.
Coronado, some bits of nice, but alot of gang activity from North High School hanger ons. btw...I thought Willo and Coronado were the "gay" enclaves?
12th street and Indian School...surprised it is considered "gay".

Old 12-08-2008, 01:13 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,032,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I saw some very inexpensive places near 12th St/E Indian School on realtor.com

Being I am not homophobic I would have no problem living in that area---------it is fast becoming a part of Gay Phoenix. Note that Gay enclaves tend to be quite safe and clean.
I agree with you on both points. Haven't visited your site yet, but I will.

I buy and sell houses on a very limited basis (I do the rehab) and always look for the new "gay" areas. Not trying to be a jerk, or pigeon hole people...but when I see an distressed but interesting older area to start being populated by gay (males), my interest develops.

I have no idea if this will happen, but I'd bet a few dollars that S. Scottsdale around the old Los Arcos Mall area will be the next "Willo". JMHO. Can't beat the location! I'm looking to buy there. I love those little red brick 2 bedrooms with the nice yards. I'm not so sure about west of Scottsdale Rd at that intersection...but east of it between McDowell and Indian School is a gold mine, I think.

I've always had a fond spot for S. Scottsdale. I think it gets a bad rap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area