U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 01-04-2009, 08:28 AM

2,392 posts, read 2,970,559 times
The trend has been for blacks to move back to the South, i.e. NC, GA, FL, SC. It's not that blacks won't move to the PHX area, but they're more likely to choose one of the states I mentioned before b/c its closer to the east and its not considered a stretch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 01-04-2009, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
Quite a few people have told me Scottsdale is full of cougars that love black men, they were very excited about going to the fiesta bowl this year to party.
That maybe. But from what I've seen there are prolly more younger (17 to about 39) white women in the area that are absolutely open to dating black men. I think that anyone that has lived there knows that that is not really a big secret.

Unread 01-04-2009, 08:33 AM
pcg

98 posts, read 207,851 times
I moved to Surprise three weeks ago. I am seeing just the opposite of what the OP is asking. There are a lot of black folks around. They are just that too. Just black folks.

I came from the Chicago area. Anyone who knows anything about Chicago knows you have to be very careful where you go. The predominantly black areas are the most dangerous, high crime, murder, etc. That is a fact, it has nothing to do with racial bias. South side of Chicago and Gary Indiana are very dangerous places. Those are the predominantly black areas. Poor, uneducated, predominantly minority populated and high crime, do they go together? Fit a pattern? I dont know.

When we first moved in to the home we rented I was a little concerned about having so many black people in the neighborhood. Those fears are subsiding. These are family oriented people who are working and living just like anyone else. That is not what I am used to seeing back where I come from.

To the OP, black people are here, just not in great numbers.

Unread 01-04-2009, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcg View Post
I moved to Surprise three weeks ago. I am seeing just the opposite of what the OP is asking. There are a lot of black folks around. They are just that too. Just black folks.

I came from the Chicago area. Anyone who knows anything about Chicago knows you have to be very careful where you go. The predominantly black areas are the most dangerous, high crime, murder, etc. That is a fact, it has nothing to do with racial bias. South side of Chicago and Gary Indiana are very dangerous places. Those are the predominantly black areas. Poor, uneducated, predominantly minority populated and high crime, do they go together? Fit a pattern? I dont know.

When we first moved in to the home we rented I was a little concerned about having so many black people in the neighborhood. Those fears are subsiding. These are family oriented people who are working and living just like anyone else. That is not what I am used to seeing back where I come from.

To the OP, black people are here, just not in great numbers.
I just wanted to say that there are exceptions to the rule when it comes to areas that are predominately black. All you have to do is look at some of the really nice suburbs in northern Atlanta or in some cities in FL. I'm just saying. It's not always one way just b/c that is all you've know. I'm just saying.

Unread 01-04-2009, 09:03 AM

1,398 posts, read 1,292,409 times
What does race matter? We are all Americans.

Go to Los Angeles if race is such a big deal to you.

Unread 01-04-2009, 05:43 PM

1,435 posts, read 2,500,712 times
Quote:
I moved to Surprise three weeks ago. I am seeing just the opposite of what the OP is asking. There are a lot of black folks around. They are just that too. Just black folks
Surprise is only 2% Black, that is your definition of "alot of Blacks around". In the South it is very rare find any city/town that is only 2% Black.

Unread 01-04-2009, 07:36 PM

21,157 posts, read 24,266,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by he's so hott View Post
The trend has been for blacks to move back to the South, i.e. NC, GA, FL, SC. It's not that blacks won't move to the PHX area, but they're more likely to choose one of the states I mentioned before b/c its closer to the east and its not considered a stretch.
Too; many American Blacks have family in the traditional South.

Unread 01-05-2009, 09:15 AM

1,274 posts, read 2,522,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
Maybe the reason why Blacks do not move to Arizona in large numbers is because they do not want to live in a state that has so many Republicans/Conservatives. When Blacks leave the South they usually want to move to a more leftwing liberal state like New York, Illinois, Michigan, and California.
What makes you think that those states were/are leftwing liberal states?

Illinois wasn't all that blue until 1992 and still had Republicans holding state-wide office until 2006. Probably Illinois is going to turn more red anyway with all the Democratic scandals.

California is a hub of conservatives believe it or not. Have you ever heard of Orange County? Richard Nixon or Ronald Reagan?

Also, why do so many people on this forum and in the United States think conservative=racist? It is actually quite the opposite if you stop and think and look back at the history of this country. Democrats establishing Planned Parenthoods in all of the Black and Hispanic neighborhoods and supporting programs such as affirmative action that do nothing to advance the people but in turn and leads them into a culture of laziness.

As to why Blacks didn't go to Arizona....I think Blacks didn't go to Arizona because there wasn't much to Arizona until the late 50's and 60's and that was after the Great Migration. California was an acception because California had a lot of jobs.

Unread 07-28-2009, 11:13 PM

7 posts, read 33,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
I too am 1/2 Egyptian! One of my best friends immigrated from Egypt and she was classified as Black. I am older so I was classified as coloured, but I have been classified as white, black, and mixed race.
It seems to me that you can be whatever you want. I meet people lighter skinned than me (I am Crayola skin colored, haha just kidding. I would be considered Caucasian, I suppose) who say they are black. I have met dark skinned people who say they are not. I refuse to assume anybody
's color (I would probable get it wrong). If I am curious, I will ask what their heritage is or who their ancestors were. I have received some amazing responses. People always seem to like to talk about it.

Unread 07-28-2009, 11:31 PM

7 posts, read 33,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcg View Post
I was a little concerned about having so many black people in the neighborhood. Those fears are subsiding. These are family oriented people who are working and living just like anyone else. That is not what I am used to seeing back where I come from.
It follows poverty lines more than race lines. When people get poor and their kids are hungry, they will do things they wouldn't otherwise do. Some parts of the world its black people, some places it's Hispanic people, other places it's Dalits or shackdwellers in South Africa, it can be by religion or caste or any number of factors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area