Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 02:27 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,856,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision-Quest View Post
It all depends on what weather you like. I am really fair skinned and wouldn't do well in a place like P-H-O-E-N-I-X with over 110 degree temeratures in the summer and the blistering sun. Some people prefer the cold weather and like to have snow on the ground during christmas time. It just seems a lot more comforting. Same goes for having green grass and trees. I also prefer to have rivers and lakes near by to go water tubing and boating on in the summer. The people that I have met that moved to P-H-O-E-N-I-X have all hated it and moved away as soon as they could. I have only heard really bad things about it. It made a book called the "Worst Towns in the USA." Author is Maurice Crow. Another Arizona city that made it is Lake Havasu City. In California, Modesto, Oxnard, and Visalia-Porterville made it. In Nevada, Battle Mountain made it. All of those cities made it because of the extreme heat. Some of them like P-H-O-E-N-I-X made it because of polution. Maurice Crow discribes P-H-O-E-N-I-X as the most unpleasant city in the South West.
One person's opinion doesn't necessarily represent everyone else's, who lives in the United States. Maybe the Phoenix area is not for people like Maurice Crow.

We don't have the greenery you expect to see in cities that get more rain, but what do you expect? It's a desert!

If you like to shovel snow early in the morning just so you can get out of your driveway, you're certainly free to do so, not to mention dealing with other winter weather headaches, like ice to say the least.

Phoenix is not for everybody, yeah it's hot 4 months out of the year, but it's perfect for 8 months, so Maurice Crow may have actually done Phoenix a favor by speaking disfavorably of it, and that's okay, we don't want a lot more people moving here anyways, there's already one Los Angeles, we don't need another one 350 miles east of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 02:35 PM

4,343 posts, read 3,556,027 times
The area is still growing, and has been for years. The job opportunities are, no doubt, there. Plus, many northerners are still moving to Sun Belt cities. That's a positive for your city.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:11 PM

99 posts, read 386,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post

Seriously, do you realize how ridiculous some of you sound? "Sunsets, hiking and mild winter weather"? Really?!?!?! I didnt know that criteria made someplace an excellent place to live. You see, Arizona fails miserably in categories that are faaaar more important than sunsets and decent winter weather (ie excellent public transportation, low COL, excellent school system, etc, etc, etc). Now I know that many Zonies could give a crap less about good PT, thriving school systems, etc, etc, but the overwhelming response as to why Zonies love living in AZ is utterly laughable. Seriously? Sunsets??? You guys make me laugh. One more thing... using your logic, Compton, CA must also be a great place to live because you can hike in nearby mountains, watch sunsets on the ocean, and you can wear light clothes in winter. Right? Right?

And AZ is not diverse in any stretch of the word. The only "diversity" youll find in AZ is the different types of Latinos (Mexican, Guatemalan, Honduran, Columbian, etc). lol
Steve-o Seriously what is your deal? I have been on this board for a few months now your post are probably the most annoying, immature, etc, etc, etc. on here.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:28 PM

81 posts, read 230,534 times
I think steve-o has been posting for a few years on here.

I'm convinced:
That something horrible happened to him here....
He has a more successful relative living here that he resents....
Tried to make it in Phoenix and it didn't work out.....
or, he's mentally ill

I can understand someone think Phoenix is a horrible place. Everyone has an opinion. It boggles my mind that he keeps coming back to the forum and posting. It seems like a waste of time and energy and a bit obsessive.

My family and I love it here and that's all that matters.

Old 12-30-2008, 04:15 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,254,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishin4sun View Post
Steve-o Seriously what is your deal? I have been on this board for a few months now your post are probably the most annoying, immature, etc, etc, etc. on here.
He is, indeed, very persistent and highly critical ... especially being an outsider. However, his statements about people moving to Phoenix for shallow reasons like beautiful sunsets, hiking, mountain vistas, and the climate are exactly right.

Those things are OK for wanting to locate to somewhere like SEDONA ... or some remote location outside of Tucson, etc. However, Phoenix, being the nation's fifth largest city can no longer thrive on so called "amenities" like mountain views, cheap housing, or sunny skies. With our size, we should be much more competitive on a national business level, as well as global. I for one, was born & raised in Phoenix ... and I continue to reside here for much more important reasons besides clear skies, sunsets, or other silly things.

Old 12-30-2008, 04:35 PM

549 posts, read 1,558,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
He is, indeed, very persistent and highly critical ... especially being an outsider. However, his statements about people moving to Phoenix for shallow reasons like beautiful sunsets, hiking, mountain vistas, and the climate are exactly right.

Those things are OK for wanting to locate to somewhere like SEDONA ... or some remote location outside of Tucson, etc. However, Phoenix, being the nation's fifth largest city can no longer thrive on so called "amenities" like mountain views, cheap housing, or sunny skies. With our size, we should be much more competitive on a national business level, as well as global. I for one, was born & raised in Phoenix ... and I continue to reside here for much more important reasons besides clear skies, sunsets, or other silly things.
Well said. I think other people are beginning to feel that way too - hence the sudden development of light rail, a convention center, restaurants up and down Central Avenue, a Civic Center park (with a sculpture in the middle, similar to Chicago's Millenium Park). Now we just need to attract more businesses, give tax credits for solar power, and so on. But I like the way Phoenix is heading, even if it's years behind other cities in doing so.

I don't quite get Steve-O's comments either. They used to be just comparing cities, one to the other, and obviously there are some HUGE advantages of Chicago as compared to Phoenix, including interesting architecture, a walkable downtown, a gorgeous lakefront, easier to access restaurants and a more interesting cultural base. But Phoenix has its advantages too - several excellent museums, a huge park system, plenty of good restaurants (even if hidden in strip malls), good theater, music, and art. It's too sprawling, sure, but what can you do about that?

Lately, though, Steve-O has just said that anyone living in Chicago is terrific and anyone living in Phoenix is an idiot, and that's just insane. I live in Phoenix because I lost my *job* in Chicago, and a good one came up in Phoenix. There's a lot of people who don't necessarily live where they want to be, but are making the best of it and trying to improve those cities. Steve-O doesn't seem to recognize that, or care. I wouldn't go to the Chicago boards and trash Chicago; I don't understand why he comes here purely to trash Phoenix.

Old 12-30-2008, 05:24 PM

228 posts, read 594,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Head coach View Post
It is the only state where you can....
Snow ski in the winter in the north part of the state and go golfing on a sunny fairway three hours south of where you just snow skied...get it!
I just have to take issue with this. This is an oft-repeated statement that I've seen numerous times in other threads, always tumpeted as an advantage of Phoenix: skiing and snow just a short drive away! Click here for a recent article about the realities of weekend traffic up to the great white north:

Too many fun seekers jam Flagstaff

The truth is, heading up to Flag is not really all that easy or convenient a thing to do anymore, especially when the snow's plentiful & Snowbowl's open. And besides- from the viewpoint of a former Denver resident and a lifelong and very experienced skier- Snowbowl blows. Sorry, but it does.

For my money, I'd much sooner fly up to Utah for the real deal. I just fail to see the proximity of Flagstaff for skiing as an "advantage" of Phoenix, to me it really isn't much to write home about. There are certainly other things about Flag (and Phoenix) that are nice, don't get me wrong, but the skiing? Yeah, not so much.

Old 12-30-2008, 05:42 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,694,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
One person's opinion doesn't necessarily represent everyone else's, who lives in the United States. Maybe the Phoenix area is not for people like Maurice Crow.

We don't have the greenery you expect to see in cities that get more rain, but what do you expect? It's a desert!

If you like to shovel snow early in the morning just so you can get out of your driveway, you're certainly free to do so, not to mention dealing with other winter weather headaches, like ice to say the least.

Phoenix is not for everybody, yeah it's hot 4 months out of the year, but it's perfect for 8 months, so Maurice Crow may have actually done Phoenix a favor by speaking disfavorably of it, and that's okay, we don't want a lot more people moving here anyways, there's already one Los Angeles, we don't need another one 350 miles east of it.
Hi there,

I can say this: I think also that some people don't have a good attitude to begin with so they blame the city they live in for their problems. Sure Phoenix isn't perfect, but what place is? I think if a person has the right outlook on life, they can be happy no matter where they are. Thanks Magnum Mike for your perspective.

That guy Maurice crow can say whatever he wants to. That's just an opinion and no matter what, people will still move to Phoenix as its one of the fastest growing cities for a reason. I'm sure Phoenix is a good place to live. Its up to the person to make the most of their life, so a good attitude really matters .

Old 12-30-2008, 05:43 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borborygmi View Post
For my money, I'd much sooner fly up to Utah for the real deal. I just fail to see the proximity of Flagstaff for skiing as an "advantage" of Phoenix, to me it really isn't much to write home about. There are certainly other things about Flag (and Phoenix) that are nice, don't get me wrong, but the skiing? Yeah, not so much.
The other major ski area is Sunrise Mountain - in Northeastern AZ, on the White Mountain Apache reservation. Well maintained - actually has as I recall, more lifts and more challenging runs. Some Olympic skiers have even trained there

Old 12-30-2008, 06:41 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I wont comment on what other people wrote about me because, well, they just dont get it I suppose. I guess they didnt read the part where I said Im "not trashing Phoenix", but rather the shallow reasons many people move to PHX.

Thanks for actually READING my posts carefully. Apparently many others on here are incapable of doing such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area