Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 09:04 AM

11 posts, read 71,306 times

Advertisements

I'm seriously thinking about relocating from Wisconsin to Sun City Grand. I think it's a beautiful community.

I'm 57 and have been widowed for 6 years. I'm looking for a place where I'll feel comfortable, the people are friendly, and there are a lot of activities to participate in.

Does anyone have any experience with what life's like for a "single" person in SCG?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2007, 06:07 PM

228 posts, read 815,023 times
All of the Del Webb retirement communities cater to those that want an active lifestyle, single person or otherwise. Sun City Grand is no different in this respect. Why not spend a week there and experience what the community has to offer.

Old 03-04-2007, 07:34 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,682,426 times
It is a beautiful development. There are actually several Del Webb communities you might want to look at in that area. There is one active adult up by us called Trilogy (by Shea) that is spectacular. You can go to www.trilogy.com or google Shea Homes to see some of their active adult spots. Trilogy has a very nice golf course with two restaurants and an award winning gym and spa. We find the people there to be very welcoming. You might want to come and spend some time here to see the different options. There are many resales in Trilogy and Del Webb worth looking at while you are here. Good luck.

Old 03-04-2007, 09:50 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,176,986 times
Hello! We moved from Wisconsin to Arizona 21 years ago. It is a big change --be sure to visit for a week in the summer to be sure you understand just how how hot it gets. Sun City Grand is a beautiful community. I would really think about the move -- 57 is very young to consider moving into a retirement community. There are many opportunities here to meet people -- church, clubs, classes, volunteer work, taking Fido to the dog park! And there is always good old match.com for possibly meeting a new guy. I would really think carefully about where you want to live. Sun City Grand is out a ways, so you need to consider the commuting distance if you will be employed. Also, as long as you can afford the real estate prices there, its fine -- but keep in mind you can buy in a cheaper location and have the extra cash to use for visting friends and relatives, etc. It is beautiful -- just consider all the angles before making any decision. Good luck -- there are many nice people here, just like in Wisconsin.

Old 03-05-2007, 11:32 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,682,426 times
The previous poster is right, you are still young. I would choose carefully the "age qualified" development I went in to. Some of the Del Webb spots we visited felt very old to us and we are your age. Trilogy is a good mix and most of the residents are very active, some still working. I know there are many people over there under 50. There is a percentage that they sell to that are under the 55 rule. You might want to visit them all to see how you feel. Most all of them are located in fantastic cities with lots of shopping around.

Old 03-05-2007, 09:52 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,754,619 times
You couldn’t ask for a better place to live and enjoy life. A couple of my friends live there and they love it. Everyone seems to be single and they enjoy one another’s company with lots of activities. 57 years young isn’t old, however you’d be the new young chick in the neighborhood. It would most likely be the last time you’d make any move into another home or area. You should plan on a short vacation trip to the area and see it first hand.

On the down side, will you be leaving family members there that you’d miss? Do you have any family or friends here in the area that can help you?

Old 03-07-2007, 07:16 AM

11 posts, read 71,306 times
Thank you for your responses everyone. I appreciate your taking the time to answer.

I have been to Sun City Grand and I really do like it. The woman I worked for for 16 years moved out there with her husband two years ago...and they are crazy about it. I just needed another perspective.

I live in the country now and it's very isolating. Once I get home at night, I hate to leave again to drive back into town. I'm really looking forward to living among people again (although I love the cows that live next door--they're great neighbors).

Old 03-11-2007, 11:47 PM

164 posts, read 842,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMea View Post
I'm seriously thinking about relocating from Wisconsin to Sun City Grand. I think it's a beautiful community.

I'm 57 and have been widowed for 6 years. I'm looking for a place where I'll feel comfortable, the people are friendly, and there are a lot of activities to participate in.

Does anyone have any experience with what life's like for a "single" person in SCG?

Thanks.
yes i visit my aunt there 2-3 times per year and talk with her all the time about sun city grande move there you wont have any regrets. my aunt is 58 and moved into sun city grande 3 years ago she belongs to the singles club the travel club the swim classes and more. she is always busy doing something she goes out more than me and im only 42.lol. the place is really like a resort i was blown away the couple of times i stayed there i almost wished i was 55 to get in there. hahahah good luck you will love it and the people are very friendly.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:59 PM
thp

1 posts, read 7,475 times
Default Sun City West Singles

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMea View Post

Thanks.
I moved to Sun City West in Sep 2007, joined the SCW Singles Club. I'm busy and meeting lots of people. This is a community where people talk with you (even if they don't know you) in the parking lot of the grocery store. There are 4 recreation centers with swimming, golf, tennis, dog parks, library, card clubs, tour groups, sewing, etc.....you name it the recreation centers have it all.... We have over 100 clubs you may join as a resident. Just enter Sun City West clubs in yahoo search engine and it pulls up the clubs. Then click on the club to read about the group. I'm 58 yr so one of the younger retirement folks here and I'm very active....just say "hi". I never imagined a retirement community could be so active and FUN!!!! Hope to meet you out here the weather is wonderful.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:41 AM

1 posts, read 7,444 times
thp...
i'm in similar position as msmea.
what made you decide on scw versus scg???
thanks....
paulettem
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area