Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2008, 06:25 PM

25 posts, read 75,175 times

Advertisements

Looks like 50s today,30s tonight.
I'm thinking of moving to the Phoenix area and just wanted to see the difference in that area and this. Right now it is about 15 degrees, and windy. That means that where ever we have shoveled out of the 7 inches of snow we have had, it will be drifted in again by the wind. Also, it will get down to about 0 degrees tonight. Coupled with the wind, the chill factor will be about -30.
We went to Albertsons, we thought hot tortilla soup sounded good and we were short one of the ingredients. We saw two accidents on the way there,(about 15 blocks) due to the icy streets. We got there and decided not to go in because we would have to park about a block out and the parking lot is all packed snow and ice. We can't go to a grocery store that is hooked up to a mall because the nearest mall is 135 miles away.
We went to another store and while I waited for my wife, I checked out the vehicles in the parking lot. Of the ones I counted, over 90% were 4X4, costing around 4 to 6 thousand more when you buy them, but buy them you must if you want to get to work, or even the grocery. Most people here have to drive from 20 to 50 miles to work in all weathers so they HAVE to have 4X4.
People here will have higher utility bills this month, too. They always go up when it is cold and windy. Average bill will be around 3 to 4 hundred dollars, I know my own has gone over $500 several times in the past 30 years.
Lets see now, The last kid Graduates from college this year, and even he plans to go someplace else, I am retired, my wife doesn't work for anyone, why am I still here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 08:28 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,208,236 times
This is "cold" for Phoenix. By Monday we will be back near 70'-thank goodness lol! I moved here from Cleveland, so I feel your pain on the subzero cold and snow drifts and wind chills and your nostrils freezing together when you breathe and wearing so many clothes you can hardly walk. I suppose 50' isn't bad for one of the coldest days of winter lol! I think we may have briefly touched freezing this morning. Not bad for our "real" winter month. In Cleveland, this weather would be about...mid-April or so.

The snow and ice aren't obviously concerns here. Hardy folks can still go out in just a heavy sweatshirt or light jacket or sweater.

Our bills will get higher in the summer for the AC than in the winter for the heating.

People out here drive way to many 4x4's for no snow. Which makes no sense to me unless you plan to do like off-roading in the desert. Even on our worst day, I suspect you could get to work or the store in even one of those mini mini tiny cars. That said-when it does rain here, a lot of the roads will flood. And we have the "Stupid Driver" law. If you are dumb enough to drive into a flooded road and the rescue folks have to fish you out-they will bill you the cost of your rescue. I could imagine if they had one of those laws up north and billed folks to dig them out of snowdrifts lol!

135 miles to a mall??? Wow! That would get me pretty much exactly from NE Phoenix to...Tucson lol! That is a hike just to shop. We have shopping malls and HUGE plazas/strips everywhere.

Tho do remember-it will get hot, very hot, during the summer. Suggest visiting sometime in mid-June perhaps. Some people prefer cold, some prefer hot. I am definitely of the latter camp.

Old 12-27-2008, 10:03 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanabacowboy View Post
In Cleveland, this weather would be about...mid-April or so.
Ummmm, more like March, definitely NOT mid-April.

Old 12-27-2008, 10:45 AM

219 posts, read 779,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Ummmm, more like March, definitely NOT mid-April.
Dude, I believe it was -7 as a low in Chicago on Sunday, and during the day Sunday did not climb above -2, I know that is not typical, but unless you're coming from Miami or Hawaii, please do not even consider saying anything remotely negative about our winter weather. I came here from New York, a place that has arguably superior winter to Chicago's, and I am in heaven with the winter weather here. Yes, for a few days its been in the 50s during the day, but it is typically warmer. I understand you want to bash our summer weather that's fine, but please stick to that.

On second thought, it is absolutely more like mid-April than March for Cleveland or New York. I would go so far as to say, its more like late-April, early-May, the typical winter weather here. If you want to look at climatological norms, our normal high of 66, Cleveland does not have a normal high of 66 until May 7th. And in mid-March, the normal high in Cleveland is around 45. You must be thinking of some record breaking March, March is typically a cold month, that is usually in the 40s, can be in the 20s or 30s, and can be in the 50s and 60s on the warmest of days.

Old 12-27-2008, 10:47 AM

191 posts, read 611,794 times
Wy Darrell, Arizona cold is Nothing like Wyoming cold. No comparison. We think it is cold here because supposedly we all have thinner blood after living here for awhile. So, 50 degrees feels icy to us. It's funny when you talk about all of the accidents you see due to the snow/ice. When it rains in the Phoenix valley, we see tons of accidents because drivers don't know how to act on wet roads (We have over 300 days of sunshine here). When it rains, it's all over the local news. The Big Story - Rain.

Anyway, there are many retirees here with your same idea. So, come on down. Shopping on every corner, restaurants, sports event, concerts, you name it...you certainly won't be bored here.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:59 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NytoPhx View Post
Dude, I believe it was -7 as a low in Chicago on Sunday, and during the day Sunday did not climb above -2, I know that is not typical, but unless you're coming from Miami or Hawaii, please do not even consider saying anything remotely negative about our winter weather. I came here from New York, a place that has arguably superior winter to Chicago's, and I am in heaven with the winter weather here. Yes, for a few days its been in the 50s during the day, but it is typically warmer. I understand you want to bash our summer weather that's fine, but please stick to that.

On second thought, it is absolutely more like mid-April than March for Cleveland or New York. I would go so far as to say, its more like late-April, early-May, the typical winter weather here. If you want to look at climatological norms, our normal high of 66, Cleveland does not have a normal high of 66 until May 7th. And in mid-March, the normal high in Cleveland is around 45. You must be thinking of some record breaking March, March is typically a cold month, that is usually in the 40s, can be in the 20s or 30s, and can be in the 50s and 60s on the warmest of days.
I wasnt referring to PHX's weather. So therefore I didnt say anything "remotely negative" about PHX's weather. Capeesh?

Also, the average April high in Cleveland (WHICH IS WHAT I QUOTED THE OTHER PERSON AS SAYING) is almost 60, with a low of around 40, so NO, youre not correct with your average Cleveland temps.

Weatherbase: Historical Weather for Cleveland, Ohio, United States of America

Old 12-27-2008, 05:25 PM

25 posts, read 75,175 times
I have a campground membership in S.D.(the Black Hills) and thought I could spend July and August there. Would that be a good plan? Also would Maricopa or Queen Creek be good places to buy? I don't have to commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area