U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Unread 12-28-2008, 05:09 PM

2,898 posts, read 5,783,067 times
I think it seems like a waste of money, I just checked out the route and honestly there was no need to replace a bus route with this.

It also looks a little dangerous, I wonder how many accidents we will see since the track is not blocked off at all. There should at least be a curb or something!

Unread 12-28-2008, 05:11 PM

25,105 posts, read 22,183,423 times
First, Subways are not possible in the Phoenix Metro area (soil conditions)

Then, we are a "young" city - compared to the likes of NYC, or Chicago etc

Additionally, this is but the first leg of the rail. The second leg is currently under construction - one that will go directly to all the terminals at Sky Harbor. There will be extensions to north Phoenix (routes currently under study) and the far West Valley (as far west as Buckeye) and to the South of the Valley.

New Busses are coming - along with new connections from the rail to the busses.

Will the rail be used? Only time will tell. But, IMO, it will be. A friend of ours, who lives in Mesa, works in Glendale. He plans on taking the rail from Mesa to the "end of the line" and connect with the Bus which as it turns out, will go right by him employment.

I'm sure there are a whole lot of stories like this.

Then, for those of us who go to the DBacks and Suns games a lot - the rail is PERFECT! AND, a heck of a lot cheaper than parking downtown on game night.

Unread 12-28-2008, 05:11 PM

4,248 posts, read 6,077,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAU_Josh View Post
I think it seems like a waste of money, I just checked out the route and honestly there was no need to replace a bus route with this.

It also looks a little dangerous, I wonder how many accidents we will see since the track is not blocked off at all. There should at least be a curb or something!
No kidding. I drive on Central a foot away from that little groove in the road and wonder just how firm it is in its tracks. It looks like it could fall right over on me. Poor planning.

Unread 12-28-2008, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
First, Subways are not possible in the Phoenix Metro area (soil conditions)

Then, we are a "young" city - compared to the likes of NYC, or Chicago etc

Additionally, this is but the first leg of the rail. The second leg is currently under construction - one that will go directly to all the terminals at Sky Harbor. There will be extensions to north Phoenix (routes currently under study) and the far West Valley (as far west as Buckeye) and to the South of the Valley.

New Busses are coming - along with new connections from the rail to the busses.

Will the rail be used? Only time will tell. But, IMO, it will be. A friend of ours, who lives in Mesa, works in Glendale. He plans on taking the rail from Mesa to the "end of the line" and connect with the Bus which as it turns out, will go right by him employment.

I'm sure there are a whole lot of stories like this.

Then, for those of us who go to the DBacks and Suns games a lot - the rail is PERFECT! AND, a heck of a lot cheaper than parking downtown on game night.
The costs can probably not justify it. It may be convenient for you Dbacks and Suns funs, but I am not one of them. I still think it's cute, but stupid.

Unread 12-28-2008, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
The costs can probably not justify it. It may be convenient for you Dbacks and Suns funs, but I am not one of them. I still think it's cute, but stupid.
I don't mean to imply that only DBacks and Suns FANS will use the rail. Far from it. Another group that is likely to use it are ASU students - going from the main campus to the Downtown campus.

The rail is but PART of a comprehensive transportation system that is needed in the Valley. I expect that in a very few years, we will also see commuter rail going to and between Tucson and Phoenix (similar to the Coaster in So. Cal).

Unread 12-28-2008, 05:43 PM

703 posts, read 885,934 times
Quote:
The rail is but PART of a comprehensive transportation system [...]
How does this change the fact that on a level playing field (no government force) this rail system could not compete with buses and taxis along the same route? It's like a stick-up man saying "stealing from you is just a part of my day, I later plan to go to the park and feed the duckies" - it's still wrong.

Unread 12-28-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Libman View Post
How does this change the fact that on a level playing field (no government force) this rail system could not compete with buses and taxis along the same route? It's like a stick-up man saying "stealing from you is just a part of my day, I later plan to go to the park and feed the duckies" - it's still wrong.
Sorry but, the above makes little sense.

Taxis are not a major component of transportation in the Phoenix Metro area.

The rail makes stops every mile - Buses stop far more frequently. The Rail is also run by the same company that runs the busses.

Unread 12-28-2008, 05:52 PM

21,157 posts, read 24,250,815 times
To the boo-birds here:

Get over it! I moved here on my own volition and you Phx haters can leave at any time----------you folks know who you are.

To whom it may concern: I vastly prefer living in a real community where I can actually afford my rent/mortgage-----------which eliminates places like SF, Ca. and Wash DC. Note that I lived in both areas and they are NOT worth the money to me factoring in their many drawbacks.

Unread 12-28-2008, 05:53 PM

Quote:
I don't mean to imply that only DBacks and Suns FANS will use the rail. Far from it. Another group that is likely to use it are ASU students - going from the main campus to the Downtown campus.

The rail is but PART of a comprehensive transportation system that is needed in the Valley. I expect that in a very few years, we will also see commuter rail going to and between Tucson and Phoenix (similar to the Coaster in So. Cal).
Well, I agree comprehensive transportation is required. But the costs have to justify it. I would really like to see a commuter rail from Phoenix to Tucson, Sedona, and Flagstaff more than this intra-town stuff. There are buses for this and if they would put together a reasonable schedule with unconvoluted routes, we could get by with buses.

Unread 12-28-2008, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
To the boo-birds here:

Get over it! I moved here on my own volition and you Phx haters can leave at any time----------you folks know who you are.

To whom it may concern: I vastly prefer living in a real community where I can actually afford my rent/mortgage-----------which eliminates places like SF, Ca. and Wash DC. Note that I lived in both areas and they are NOT worth the money to me factoring in their many drawbacks.
Well, glad you are happy. And I am welcome to my opinions too. The light rail, while cute, is stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area