Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 12:14 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,175,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradyumn View Post
Hi Everybody,
First of all I am really thankful of your valuable comments and time you guys invest.
Let me see if I can give you the answer you wish: Yes, from what you described, you can take this person to court for the actions of their animal.

The amount you can litigate for is for your actual, out of pocket expenses, that were necessary to see your dog was properly cared for. These are called compensatory damages. You cannot sue however for "punitive" or "punishment" damages.

Because the amount of compensatory damages are going to probably be fairly small, your action would have to take place in the Justice Court level. You can find the Justice Court in your area and do the necessary filings there. Court personnel will provide you with the requirements for filing, serving the defendant, and the actual trial. They will not assist you in filling out the complaint however. Usually a plain language description of what happened will suffice.

Any costs you incur for the filing and serving are subject to being recovered as well.

I hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 01:40 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,285,877 times
I don't know what to tell you. To be honest, if the wound isnt' bad I would just heal your pup and be extra careful at the dog park from now on... you don't really say exactly what happened, I take it you didn't actually see it? If it is a major wound that could get infected, then yes, I would try to do something about it. If you want more answers to your question... the Dogs Forum would probably have more sympathetic people. Good luck!

Old 12-28-2008, 02:07 PM

191 posts, read 610,485 times
LesterBurnham is the voice of reason here. Letit go. You are just running on pure emotion right now. Take care of your dog, forget the ****** at the park, and enjoy the rest of your Sunday.

Old 12-28-2008, 02:34 PM

611 posts, read 1,987,496 times
It will cost several thousand dollars for an attorney. He could probably get one for a few hundred to defend him. You are right about his irresponsibility but in the end it will be a great hassle and expensive. I wouldn't consider seeking compensation for actual injury frivolous by the way.

Old 12-28-2008, 02:36 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,175,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markas214 View Post
It will cost several thousand dollars for an attorney. He could probably get one for a few hundred to defend him. You are right about his irresponsibility but in the end it will be a great hassle and expensive. I wouldn't consider seeking compensation for actual injury frivolous by the way.
You don't need an attorney in Justice Court.

Old 12-28-2008, 02:46 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,022,094 times
Default "Enter at your own risk..."

With all due respect, maybe YOU're the one who needs to learn a lesson... a lesson about not bringing your dog to dog parks, that is...

Right now, you're the one who was injured. But, as the owner of a large breed dog, you just may need someone to cut you some slack someday.
This is an opportunity to show the same to the other dog owner involved here.

I hope you will realize that this is not an issue for the courts to decide.
You're the one who chose to expose your dog to risk.

Here's a link to a thread from the city data dog forum that discusses dog parks just so you realize that there's lots of people who have had bad experiences at those places...

http://www.city-data.com/forum/dogs/...ml#post6734947

IMHO, dog parks are not a safe place for dogs!

Last edited by World Citizen; 12-28-2008 at 03:02 PM..

Old 12-28-2008, 04:37 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,390,425 times
File for small claims, thats all you need to do.

Old 12-28-2008, 04:45 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,432,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pradyumn View Post
Hi Everybody,
First of all I am really thankful of your valuable comments and time you guys invest.
This happened an hour ago. I was in dog park and a dog owner entered with a large rottweiler.My dog is a German Shepherd + Basingi, very playful and timid weighing 40-45 lbs. She suddenly started barking which she rarely does and I understood that something serious happened. I inspected her body right away and found a 1 cm long skin-off deep puncture wound on her left mid belly. To handle it easy, I asked the dog owner if he is willing to take the responsibility which he arrogantly refused to saying that it is a dog park. He also refused to SHOW any identification on him. Not feeling comfortable trusting his told address, I decided to follow him to his home with his consent. In the meantime one of my friend arrived in the dog park whom I requested to take care of my dog. After a descent distance of unnecessary walking, I decided to go back and take care of my dog coz she was weeping in pain when I was leaving her. So I took the address and the phone number he told. Later my friend called me and told that this person came back to collect his car from the dog park and was trying to bluff with me. I called police and they gave me an option of taking this matter to civil court which I want to. Thanks for your time reading this till here. Now here are my questions,
How should I handle this matter?
My primary goal is to teach that guy his lesson for being so irresponsible and inconsiderate?
Are there any laws dealing with this issue?
I can take care of my dog's medical expenses but I want to drag this guy to the court and make him realize of his actions. Please help. Thanks again.
I am assuming your dog is your number one priority and that you've gone to the vet, right?

Old 12-28-2008, 05:31 PM

5,093 posts, read 12,556,451 times
As a dog owner, I have to agree with the last few posts. When you go to a dog park you are assuming some risks and that may be that your dog gets bitten. These are animals and to them a small bite is no big deal.

My brothers two bulldogs frequently get carried away when they play and will bite each other alittle too hard and get small punctures. He cleans them off and all is well.

One of my dogs got bit in they bottom lid of her eye while playing with another dog. I washed the blood out of her eye and everything looked ok and she was back wrestling with her buddy never did the thought of sueing the dog owner cross my mind.The dogs were playing together with both owners permission so we both then assume responsibility for what may happen to our own dogs.

It really does not sound like your dog was attacked but rather for what ever reason the other dog did not inhibit his bite as he should have. That does not make him an aggressive dog. Things like this happen when dogs play.

If your dog was on leash and an offleash dog attacked it then I might agree with you but YOU took your dog to a dog park and things can get rough at dog parks. You can run into problems even when they are all well socialized dogs becuase they are DOGS. Anytime you have more then two dogs together you have a pack and the mentality of a pack is different then a single dog.

People that get upset because dogs do what dogs do and may end up with a small bite really should not go to dog parks.

Taking people to court and sueing them anytime we do not like what has happened has ruined so many aspects of our lives.. My advice is get over it and move on and stay away from dog parks if you get so upset about a small bite.

Old 12-28-2008, 05:40 PM

430 posts, read 1,407,854 times
Default no, its not right

to let the dog owner off the hook, He should not be bringing a dog that bites to a dog park and an owner knows if they have a dog that bites or not, you know your dogs personality. no excuses, at the very least the owner should have offered to pay for the injury any responsible, decent person wouldn't have felt right not doing so. If you have to force him to do the right thing thats his fault
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area